U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:34 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,299 posts, read 13,133,879 times

Advertisements

I have a choice now of moving to either. I know that San Diego is in almost every way better for me than Seattle .... financially, in the awesome paradisical climate of San Diego, less crime in San Diego (surprisingly), less in the way of allergenic molds, and beaches where the water is occasionally warm enough to swim in. Oh, and reasonably priced all-you-can-eat buffets, important to a man who likes to stuff his face.

The only things Seattle has going for it are the scenic beauty, and an undefinable "character" vs the bland San Diego.

So why do I come to this forum and feel nostalgia, while when I go to the San Diego forum I think "yeah, it was a good place to live .... but I just don't care". I've spent about as much time in both places.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 PM

38 posts, read 156,340 times
I am strangly in the same situation. I lived in WW and Salem for 10 years, grew up in San Diego, now live in SLO and am seriously debating between SD and Seattle. Been to Seattle many times when living in the PNW, but never lived. My wife is from Canada, so it would be close to her family. My family is in San Deigo, but I really have no desire to return.

What is your biggest draw to Seattle?

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 AM

I don't really know, Yurt. I just liked walking around, stopping a moment in the little shops .... I liked the parks, especially Discovery Park, and the fresh cool air. Also the city actually looks good in the rain or with bit of mist drifting up the hills ... sometimes it looks uncomfortable or slightly worn in direct sunlight. Kind of like a middle-aged woman who looks really good in a dimly lit bar, but then she steps outside during the day, and you can see every line in her blinking, sallow face.

Oh, did I say "bar", if I remember correctly there are only taverns and cocktail lounges. And some pubs, microbreweries, and alehouses. And a few dives. But no bars, except for espresso bars.

I liked the new library a lot, but that's hardly a reason to fall in love with a city. I just don't know what draws me.

Oh, by the way, why are you bailing out of SLO? I've thought about living there, but it's way beyond my reach financially. Seems to me like it's one of the best places in the country to live if you can, aside from all the noisy, drunken university students.

Old 01-22-2008, 12:45 PM

1,677 posts, read 6,435,748 times
We moved from San Diego to the Seattle area in June 2007. We cannot wait to go back. So the only thing I can think, is you must be crazy. =)

V. =)

Old 01-22-2008, 12:47 PM

61,303 posts, read 81,236,584 times
my uncle in mississippi says, bunky, livin in california is like livin with a beautiful woman that has a headache all the time.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:49 PM

471 posts, read 1,371,331 times
Default LOL, Bunky

That is an awesome description.

I'm a little surprised to see the post that San Diego has less crime. Less of what type of crime? I've never felt safer in in-city neighborhoods than I do in Seattle. Yes, Pioneer Square and parts of the Valley are rough, but any 'name' neighborhood (e.g. Ballard, Greenlake, Madrona, Laurelhurst, Fremont et al) feels incredibly safe.

Old 01-22-2008, 01:54 PM

I was referring to the stats on the main site, Salty. I haven't had any trouble with crime in either area, although thugs do seem to like riding the trolleys in San Diego and the buses in Seattle.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:30 PM

3,178 posts, read 13,970,648 times
You find San Diego bland???

Old 01-22-2008, 03:24 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,123,026 times
Quote:
We moved from San Diego to the Seattle area in June 2007. We cannot wait to go back.
I wonder if the same thing is driving you out of Seattle that is pushing me out? Please respond I am curious to know.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:39 PM

471 posts, read 1,371,331 times
Default I'll take a stab...

There seems to be a consistent theme on this site, and that is that some people, for whatever reason, cannot hack the weather in Seattle.

I'm sorry if you're one of those people. It is unfortunate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area