U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:26 PM

50 posts, read 67,118 times

Advertisements

Hello all and thanks to everybody who contributes. I appreciate honest, straightforward answers, it's easy to see through BS even online.

First a little about myself...I'm an Indian American (dot not feather) physician who grew up in Texas and in many ways this is home but increasingly I find culturally and demographically I don't fit in. I've been to Seattle twice and did like it and the PNW as a whole and am considering relocating.

To Indians out there or those who feel they can comment, how would you say the relations are? Are there Indian communities and are they tolerated?

Thanks.

Last edited by dolphin99; 06-17-2015 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,424,083 times
I'm not desi myself, but what I will say is that there is a huge desi community in the Seattle area. There are lots of events held, particularly on the Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah areas) due to Microsoft and the various vendors that serve MS. There are definitely Indians in other areas (including Kirkland and Seattle), but the Eastside is where most of the activities are held.

Edited to add: I don't think there are any negative issues between Indians and other folks here.

Last edited by amaiunmei; 06-17-2015 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-17-2015, 10:05 PM

1,977 posts, read 3,451,701 times
Tons of Indians here, all over the Eastside. The only negative I hear on occasion is from folks complaining that Indians seem to keep to themselves and aren't very friendly or engaged with non-Indians.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:10 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,424,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
Tons of Indians here, all over the Eastside. The only negative I hear on occasion is from folks complaining that Indians seem to keep to themselves and aren't very friendly or engaged with non-Indians.
I think another thing that is potentially important to point out is that many of the Indian workers here are H1B workers, and therefore tend to be relatively recent immigrants. A cultural gulf exists between Indians and non-Indians (and, to some degree, between immigrants and Indians who grew up in the US) largely due to that issue. There are some Indians that have been here for a generation or two, but the vast majority of the community are recent immigrants.

It's not a huge issue, though, and I think the larger community has a "live and let live" attitude overall.

Old 06-17-2015, 10:26 PM

6,016 posts, read 5,853,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
I think another thing that is potentially important to point out is that many of the Indian workers here are H1B workers, and therefore tend to be relatively recent immigrants. A cultural gulf exists between Indians and non-Indians (and, to some degree, between immigrants and Indians who grew up in the US) largely due to that issue. There are some Indians that have been here for a generation or two, but the vast majority of the community are recent immigrants.

It's not a huge issue, though, and I think the larger community has a "live and let live" attitude overall.
Makes sense. The bulk of those I hire and work with on short-term (months to a year or so) try very hard to fit in and almost-all are super-competent. We all try and work through some expectations-setting and usually pretty mild communications issues. It behooves me and some of my American teammates to listen carefully and not grow exasperated. In fact two of the sharpest guys I know, consultants my team works with on a parallel team (they're on loan) have truly been a massive help past month or two. I'm trying to award them a performance bonus and make sure everyone knows it: sets up a bit of friendly competition.

All in all, as others say, I think most of us try hard to get along. Yeah, there are speed bumps, reading some other threads in Seattle forum. Those are good to reference, too, for a balanced view of how things go for Indians on eastside in particular.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:56 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,664,141 times
I'm kind of a cowboy and have no problem with Indians. I enjoy the multitude of great INdian restaurants and curry dishes available thanks to their presence.

My only concern may be the IT job market. I heard Indian employers only hire Indians and, even then, only Indians of the correct caste/ethnic group. I am not looking for an IT job yet, but if I do, this may pose to be a problem. With that being said, I find a lot of Indian culture, dress and food very intersting.

If you live in the Eastside, it is Indian Heaven.. No, I am not talking native burial grounds. It is just lots of Indian people, Indian supermarkets, Temples, Gurudwaras, restaurants, video stores, etc. If you are Indian you should live in Bellevue or Redmond.

Us Gora Cowboys tend to live a bit more east in the Valley or in Kirkland, Bothell, Snohomish County, etc. The Hindustani people tend to be in Bellevue and Redmond proper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellevueNative View Post
I've noticed the Indians in the Eastside area of Seattle are a lot less friendly than in Vancouver, BC or Portland, OR (where I grew up). The Indian community here is much more affluent and much more strict to the rules of caste. However, I find Indian people living in Seattle to be much more westernized (in the sense of less culturally Hindu/Islamic) and are more eager to intermix with the gora/goris (white people).

South Indians also tend to be a bit more open to outsiders in their culture than North Indians.. Sikhs are generally friendly to anyone who wants to become a Sikh, even a gora/gori. I visited one of their gurudwaras once and it was an interesting experience, but I could see they wanted me to convert, which wasn't happening.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:18 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,387,964 times
There is a substantial amount of professional class Indians (mostly immigrants) living in my neighborhood (Issaquah Highlands). If my kids' classroom composition reflected general demographics, well, in one class there are 4/20 Indian (presumably) and in the other, 3/20, just to give you an idea... it would be 1500-2000/8000 residents of Indian heritage (and probably another 2000 of Eastern Asian). Our community center offers Tamil language club, "Indian culture" club and there are many opportunities for the Indian kids to learn "Bollywood" style dance. We have "fast food" Indian restaurant (in addition to regular ones), a professional chef advertises on our facebook page for take home Indian meals you order once a week. We have a very popular Indian food blogger who's target audience are Indians, not Americans. We all know when Diwali is and why it's celebrated (I challenge you to find that in Texas).

I love living in a multi-national community, but even I'm like "wow, I'm really the odd one here, aren't I?". My immediate neighbors are Indian, one of my clients is Indian and I was just asked to go out for coffee with an Indian woman I met on facebook. I'm very excited for this to happen because I do find the Indian community to be rather insular and I'm genuinely curious about the cultural and social dynamics within that region of the world, yet I know I'm not likely to visit any time soon.

My suggestion is to get on facebook and join one of the "Indians of Seattle/Eastside/Redmond/Issaquah/etc..) groups of which there are many.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:38 AM

902 posts, read 927,996 times
i live amongst a lot of indians, most recent immigrants, some have lived here a long time. i don't know the insides of the community but i find almost all the indians i've met here friendly and kind. i don't notice a caste system but i probably just don't see/understand it if it does exist. like most groups of ethnic enclaves, it feels like it's hard to "join" a group of people who already seem to know each other. on the other hand, when i get to know each person individually, i have really enjoyed getting to know my indian neighbors here.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:09 AM

39 posts, read 65,577 times
Would like to mention one more point about the unfriendliness vs. openness and other social aspects of Indians - it really depends on how much time they have spent here because of the big IT firms and a constant rotation. I have noticed people who came here 20 yrs back vs people who just came 2 months back and there is definite difference in behavior of these two.

I am an Indian who lived in this country for more than 10 years now and I have lots of non-Indian friends. We recently moved to Seattle and love it.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:30 AM

520 posts, read 517,937 times
This is kind of a ridiculous question only because its so obvious. I mean Amazon, Microsoft, 1000 high tech companies. Indians are all over here and obviously well off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area