Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 04:05 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,062,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I feel it would be very strange to go through life thinking that people's differing neighborhoods, cities, states, or countries correspond to these huge differences in people's attitudes. I've lived in quite a few places both in and out of the US, and visited many others, and while cultural differences exist, I have found that people are pretty much just people everywhere you go.
Your unwillingness to stereotype has been noticed. Oh yes, it's been noticed. Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,248,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I personally think the City of Seattle is nirvana for a certain type of person. If I were to build a "Joe Seattle" Robot, he would have a very high IQ, be a definite type B personality, shy, intellectually snobby, be very tech savvy and nerdish, he'd be working 65 hours a week at Amazon, have 3 or 4 tattoos and vote Democrat. Joe the Robot will care very little about sports and is happier playing video games/surfing than chasing women.

I'll give you another example. Have you ever been to a Seahawks game? Most of those crazy, wild, loud, face-painting mega fans come from Kent, Renton, Auburn and out in the burbs. Let's face it they are fun and the life of the party types. Very few of these fans come from Capitol Hill or Fremont. Joe the Robot would live in Fremont.

So naturally I'm having fun here but anybody who has spent any time in Seattle would admit there is a smidgen of truth here.
Of course Renton has it's share of crazy, wild, loud Seahawk fans. The Hawks train in Renton. It's clearly the Home of the 12's. But it's not like nobody in Fremont or Capitol Hill are Seahawk fans. Maybe they're not 12s. Maybe they're 6's.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:53 PM

127 posts, read 163,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
Of course Renton has it's share of crazy, wild, loud Seahawk fans. The Hawks train in Renton. It's clearly the Home of the 12's. But it's not like nobody in Fremont or Capitol Hill are Seahawk fans. Maybe they're not 12s. Maybe they're 6's.
And no one in Fremont or Capitol Hill or Queen Ann goes hiking, biking, skiing, sailing, camping, swimming. Simply no one!!!! They're just working and geeking and snobbing. Everyone knows that, surely ....

Old 07-23-2015, 05:41 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,138,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I was just having a bit of fun. Remember the tv show Almost Live survived 15 years making fun and generalizing folks from our fair city

Old 07-24-2015, 12:01 AM

4 posts, read 3,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
My wife and I visited Seattle last August and got great vibes. She fell in love. I did too but I know love at first sight is different from actual love. We're both excited for a change of location but I do have some concerns arising since I'm now applying for more and more jobs in the area.

I grew up in the Bronx just outside of NYC. I moved to a close suburb during teen-years and currently live there. My wife was born and raised in our current town.

I guess I would just like to here from some people who have moved from NYC (and close surrounding areas) to Seattle and how their experience has been. I love the history and culture of the east coast (especially Northeast), I love BBQ food along with delicious Italian meals. Pizza is delicious here and I haven't heard great things about west coast pizza. Europe is closer of a visit for vacation and the Caribbean offers many different islands and cultures on those islands to explore, whereas the west apparently only has Hawai'i and Mexico. I have no interest in seeing China or Japan. Being from the east coast, I'm an assertive person who is usually blunt, yet with polite manners. I worry that the west coast "laid-back" pace will drive me a little nuts. I hear its gorgeous and have seen it with my own eyes so I don't need to be sold on that.

Any stories and experiences are greatly appreciated. I'm very excited to move and Seattle seems great, but everyone knows there are always other sides to a coin so I just wanted to get some insight.

Thanks!
Hi! Welcome to Seattle!. My husband and I recently moved to west Seattle from Queens. I miss decent Italian food and non Mexican spanish food so much!. No delis, pizza here sucks big time and super expensive $4.79 for a regular cheese slice. I miss my bodegas, my Greek joints, my halal food carts. We've been here only two months. Our families weren't too happy that we moved all the way out here.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:02 AM

69 posts, read 89,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Dogs can sense if they can get away with certain behaviors. I love animals and all of mine are trained with positive reinforcement.
I couldn't agree more. My pets are all and were all well behaved. If they weren't they were corrected. I sadly feel that this is trickling down or becoming more common in parenting too. Maybe it's just my area but parents feel they shouldn't discipline their children anymore so they just run rampant and do whatever while their parents sit idly on the side going "Child, stop. You shouldn't do that...Please stop, Mommy/Daddy loves you but can you please stop." Pleading with a child is not being a parent. Guide your children to being good adults by applying some discipline and the fact that YOU'RE the parent... just my morning rant... lol

Gardyloo, Perigee - I appreciate the info on the "days of doom for Seattle" ha ha. I wasn't sure myself how Seattle would be hit so bad considering the land surrounding the sound but I figured it might be good to ask. My sister-in-law tried to convince us not to head to Seattle because of the earthquakes, volcanoes and what-not. I understand that we're simply inhabitants of this planet. Freak things can happen at anytime and we're at mother natures mercy however I just wanted to make sure I wasn't taking my wife to a place where all of our belongings might be washed away or damaged within a year, or worse, our cats be in some sort of danger in case we weren't home at the time.

Last edited by xmavrekx; 07-24-2015 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-24-2015, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Don't call it "Cali".
Oh no? Why's that?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:25 AM

pete98146 - Thanks for all the input. Two questions... One, if you don't mind me asking, why did you leave Annandale VA? I'm not the kind of guy to just jump into scenarios without some ace-in-the-hole; so I've also been looking at other places to live if Seattle/Washington doesn't work out. (Mainly east coast) Two, would you just say this "Seattle/Scandinavian Freeze" is literally in Seattle? We might not actually end up in Seattle but the surrounding areas. I've heard Redmond and Bellevue are really nice towns. Someone also told us to look into Tacoma but I haven't looked at that yet. I'm really not a huge socializer. I have friends and things I enjoy to do but I'm more of the person that would rather snowboard, kayak, bike, drive or work on a project than sit at a bar or meeting area and shoot-the-sh*t. If I'm at a social gathering and have something to do or a task to complete (which I usually do) then I'd rather be there. My idea of socializing is going for a ride on my bike or snowboarding and then after maybe have a beer over some food before heading home. Maybe I will fit right in... lol I'm never outward rude to anyone for no reason though... Just wanted to throw that in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATCAT View Post
I feel it would be very strange to go through life thinking that people's differing neighborhoods, cities, states, or countries correspond to these huge differences in people's attitudes. I've lived in quite a few places both in and out of the US, and visited many others, and while cultural differences exist, I have found that people are pretty much just people everywhere you go.
I agree with you on the "people are people" however neighborhoods do affect a person's character quite a bit. Definitely superficially if not down deep too. I've lived in the burbs for some 10 years now and whenever I hang out with someone from the Bronx I feel an instant connect. I guess because I never really assimilated into this areas suburban, rich, privileged, drug abusing, lack-of-consequence mentality, which is astonishing here, I never really grew too many connections to the population here. Like Pete98146 said, when I lived in the city there were block parties, people looked out for one another (some didn't of course) and it was just different.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnsky View Post
Hi! Welcome to Seattle!. My husband and I recently moved to west Seattle from Queens. I miss decent Italian food and non Mexican spanish food so much!. No delis, pizza here sucks big time and super expensive $4.79 for a regular cheese slice. I miss my bodegas, my Greek joints, my halal food carts. We've been here only two months. Our families weren't too happy that we moved all the way out here.
Hi! Not in Seattle yet, still waiting haha but thank you. What made you guys move out to Seattle? I'm planning on buying a deli slicer, so we'll be ok lol.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:59 AM

Does anyone in here sail? Is sailing a big thing in Seattle/Washington?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area