Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM

295 posts, read 659,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
Thanks pete98146, we are really looking forward to the move. It will definitely be an experience even if, for some reasons, it just isn't for us. I know what you're talking about with the "hard NY attitude". Those people are usually urban dwellers and live and breath the city with a biased opinion towards anything else. Some may say condescending.
The "hard NY attitude" is found just as much, if not more, in the suburbs of NYC where they say NYC is best place in the world but go there maybe a couple of times a year, and still pine for Giuliani for President.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 11:35 AM

4 posts, read 3,745 times
I went to Cali last year and got a Cali shirt. Loved Cali. road trip around Cali for ten days.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:47 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,973,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCnsky View Post
I went to Cali last year and got a Cali shirt. Loved Cali. road trip around Cali for ten days.
What she asked of me at the end of the day, Cali would have blushed...

Old 07-27-2015, 02:56 PM

125 posts, read 141,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmavrekx View Post
Europe is closer of a visit for vacation and the Caribbean offers many different islands and cultures on those islands to explore, whereas the west apparently only has Hawai'i and Mexico.

Thanks!
I prefer vacation spots out West - aside from Hawaii and Mexico (which to me easily trumps the Carribean Islands for vacations), you've got amazing destinations like wine country, Lake Tahoe, huge mountain and dramatic national parks, and, yes, much easier access to Asia.

Also, while Seattle is an anomaly, generally Mexican food in the West - especially the burritos in California - are far better than anything you'll find on the East Coast. And the Asian food is much better all around.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,339,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
I prefer vacation spots out West - aside from Hawaii and Mexico (which to me easily trumps the Carribean Islands for vacations), you've got amazing destinations like wine country, Lake Tahoe, huge mountain and dramatic national parks, and, yes, much easier access to Asia.

Also, while Seattle is an anomaly, generally Mexican food in the West - especially the burritos in California - are far better than anything you'll find on the East Coast. And the Asian food is much better all around.
Seattle's not an anomaly. Seattle's Mexican food, while not as good as California's, is still far better than the Mexican food on the east coast. And Seattle's Mexican food has gotten so much better than it was even 10-15 years ago.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:04 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,934,496 times
Even worse, calling SF, "Frisco" is a no-no.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:49 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Hey people, stop saying this town isn't great for food. It depend on what kind of food you like. I'm a world traveler who loves to eat adventurously, I find much here to make me happy. Here are just of few of many places I love:

Thai Restaurant- Thaiku (formerly in Ballard, now Phinney Ridge: this place is straight up excellent, many dishes from Northern Thailand. Ingredients are fresh, service friendly, great cocktails too.

East Indian-Bangladeshi Restaurant: Bengal Tiger, 65th and Roosevelt. Fantastic flavors, many natural and organic ingredients. Many Indian staples but also Bengali (E. India/Bangledesh) dishes. Mohammed Uddin the owner has some great stories to tell about his youth in Bangladesh.

Ethiopian Restaurant: Assimba. MLK Way and Cherry. I've been going here for 20 years. Very complex flavors, organic ingredients, gluten free and vegan options (although great spiced meat too). Delightful family runs the place (ask her about being a freedom fighter years ago in Ethiopia). Traditional coffee ceremonies sometimes in afternoons.

Korean Restaurant: Ka Won. Lynnwood. Hwy 99. Filled with Koreans. Amazing Korean staples, BBQ, Make the drive, trust me.

Provincial Vietnamese: International District, Seattle: Fresh, complex tastes. Not just pho, so much more. Here is one happy reviewer "Trust me, I'm Vietnamese. My favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Seattle, so far. Their food is the closest thing to legit Vietnamese food around. Everything that I've ordered on the menu so far has been flavorful and abundant. Must try in International District!"
Authentic South Indian Restaurant. University District, Seattle. Chili's: Chili's South Indian Restaurant - Home

Caribbean Restaurant, Rainier Avenue South. Seattle. Island Soul: Island Soul | Home

Senegalese (West African) Restaurant. La Teranga, Rainier Avenue S: La Teranga - Senegalese - Seattle, WA - Yelp

Somali Restaurant (delicious): Tukwila. Salaama Restaurant: Salaama Restaurant - African - Tukwila, WA - Yelp

Khmer Authentic Cambodian Restaurant, White Center. Seattle. Cambodian delights at Queen’s Deli | The Seattle Times

Salvadorian, Hondurean, Colombian Restaurant. Aurora Ave N. Seattle: Tropicos Breeze: About us

Old 07-27-2015, 06:17 PM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Even worse, calling SF, "Frisco" is a no-no.
Gotta disagree with this one.

It's perfectly okay to annoy people from Frisco. Of course, they hardly qualify as people.

I will keep the battle going between Frisco and LA.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:45 AM

69 posts, read 89,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expdxer View Post
The "hard NY attitude" is found just as much, if not more, in the suburbs of NYC where they say NYC is best place in the world but go there maybe a couple of times a year, and still pine for Giuliani for President.
The difference between the "hard NY attitude" in the burbs and the boroughs is that the attitude from the boroughs is actually backed by something and a good majority of suburbanites lack a lot of common sense a.k.a. "street-smarts". This isn't all suburbs, seems to be more prominent in neighborhoods where kids didn't learn that bad decisions lead to consequences that mommy and daddy can't get you out of because they have bbqs with all of 10 local police officers... but that's not what this thread is about so I'm going to return back to the main topic. Thanks for your input though.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:56 AM

69 posts, read 89,751 times
Quote:
We are excited about this as well though. We are already booked for a National Parks Tour this September. We aren't just excited to see Hawai'i or Mexico but also to explore more of the West that we never got to see. BC, Colorado, California, Utah, Oregon, Arizona, and Alaska are definitely on the list of places to visit. Everyone seems to mention Asia and I once again will say that I never HAD and interest in visiting but hey, I'm not going to say no I'm never going to go. It seems to be a popular recommendation.

Quote:
I'm sure the Asian and Mexican food is great; We can't wait to try some. I just want to say again that we are looking forward to seeing what Seattle, and Washington for that matter, have to offer. We know it's a different location with a different culture and different foods. It's pretty exciting for us to break out of what we're used to and try a whole bunch of new cuisines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area