Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 12:42 AM

102 posts, read 117,990 times

Advertisements

Without wading into the muck of whether or not Seattle is being ruined by those of us "progressives from elsewhere" it is to be noted for the OP:

RotseCherut apparently lives on the Eastside, which is not part of the city of Seattle. It is part of the Seattle metro area, the Puget Sound region, and Western WA. But it's a mix of tech people, money people and old school conservatives.

The one thing RotseCherut has in common with many of his fellow citizens in this region is that there definitely can be a coldness and bitterness toward newcomers. For example, in case you weren't aware, Californians have a tendency to go up and down the Western U.S. ruining every economy they touch with their Californian-ness. #sarcasm

On this topic of whether or not you can get a job as an accountant in Seattle- It's borderline preposterous to say there aren't jobs for this OP. Perhaps Seattle is not a financial center, but every business and organization needs accountants, and accountants can often work their way into a very nice career doing something business-administration-related and not necessarily literally "being an accountant." My only concern for the OP is whether an entry level job is going to be enough money to make it in Seattle. But if he's willing to live in a small apartment at first until he gets some income going, and he has good school and job history I'm pretty sure he can find a job, even a temp job at first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 12:51 AM

102 posts, read 117,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgkeller2015 View Post
That is a lot of awesome information to consider. Thank you!! That microhousing sounds interesting, will have to do some more research into that. Don't really do much bicycling, but I would be interested in the public transit, provided its a little safer than in Houston. I understand what you're saying about finances and dating and everything. Much thought would be invested in all of that. I think I did read that thread you speak of with the Southern gentleman, but hey, different people with different backgrounds will definitely have different experiences. Anyways, your response was well thought out and worded and I really do appreciate the time you put into. Christopher
No problem, I have been thinking about this a lot lately because I am considering relocating away from Seattle (ironic, right?)

Microhousing is a form of housing that is springing up around town to fill a need for people who want an inexpensive place to live. One of the "brands" is Apodments, not sure if there are others. You can't sugarcoat it - It's a teeny tiny studio and it wouldn't be pleasant for a long-term home. They tend to be in younger-oriented busy neighborhoods. The one in the University District is pretty close to the freeway. I have heard of people renting them for a long time if they have jobs where they travel a lot and aren't home much but need a place in Seattle when they are off duty (like the people who work on cruise ships). But I think it might be an option for a few months for a single person relocating from elsewhere who is breaking into the Seattle housing/job market. Over the long term if you really want to save money you will probably want to live somewhere with roommates or in a studio that's not microhousing, but for a newbie to the city it might be hard to find roommates you like and trust. I haven't been there myself but there were a bunch of news stories about them and you can probably find video online.

Old 07-20-2015, 02:11 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,823,897 times
Quote:
Am considering other areas too, of course. Portland is up there and even parts of Colorado. Its a variety, with many factors to review, but narrowing it down. And of course each state will have areas different than others. Certainly don't believe that any one city defines an entire state. None do in TX, that's for sure.
Ahhh, my beloved home state of Oregon. It is so nice what the liberal minded immigrants did to that state. It was just rated this year, by Forbes (I think) as the worst state in the mainland USA (excluding Hawaii) to start a business. And , to think, this was the state were successful companies like Nike started. However, with the outrageous taxes, cost of living, regulations, most imposed by Californian and other liberal immigrants has transformed Oregon in a state with wealthy retirees and elitists and poor hipsters who crowd into a single house and pay outrageous rents which have pushed out the working class families. Basically, Oregon was a place, once upon a time, a middle class person could make a living, now it is becoming a place of rich and poor and those who provide jobs are going down to where you live or other parts of the country.

Quote:
As far as how far liberal,progressive, what other terms could be used, I'm not quite as far as RotseCherut may think. But hey, I respect all opinions and welcome honesty and frankness. I don't stand for any agenda or am trying to change the world to my beliefs. If anything, looking for an area more aligned. And I'm not a fool. I know there is no utopia, but definitely areas that are closer than others. I'll have to just settle for not getting everything I want.

and this does not describe me: "It's all the loonie liberal weirdo nutjobs in Seattle, with their endless number of tattoos, piercings, mismatched clothing, cold, emotionless facial expressions, who are drinking over-roasted or over-ripened coffee while they discuss how they can save the poor children of Washington (and the world) by raising more taxes and banning this or that are the people you need to be especially careful about here ." Not by a longshot. Haha.
If you are truly as open-minded as you say then, "Welcome", from a Northwestern native who enjoyed what this place once was. However, if your goal is to fix things and make them better

Don't get me wrong, growth of a city can be healthy and Seattle has prospered thanks to the conservative politics of the state of Washington. Forcing small businesses to fork out $15/hr minimum wages only makes the corporate dogs laugh. However, Washington has some very nice tax laws setup that has made it one of the better states to do business. You start attacking the foundations of this state, then there will be nobody left to pay those poor souls who work 3 hours a week at their record store job $15/hr while they spend the rest of their week getting high, drinking and sleeping until noon. Oh, don't forget we have poor homeless people we need to get fat, clothe nicely and pay for their marijuana habits. Common signs from homeless people in Seattle, "Need Money For Weed and Beer".. Poor starving soul.. I hope the Seattle City Council can find some other way to tax the evil rich to pay for these poor souls.

I just hope the "Texas" side of you can mean you are one of the more rational-minded progressives who can make decisions based on facts rather than bleeding-heart emotions which is the majority of Seattle "Progressives".

Don't mind me, I am just a crotchety whackjob according to the Seattle City Data Forum Thought Police.. What would I know, despite living majority of my life here in the Northwest and watching it slowly go down the toilet?

Oh yeah, keep your hands off our guns and 2nd Amendment Rights... Thanks..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia M View Post
W
RotseCherut apparently lives on the Eastside, which is not part of the city of Seattle. It is part of the Seattle metro area, the Puget Sound region, and Western WA. But it's a mix of tech people, money people and old school conservatives.
Don't forget the South Sound.. I would say 8 out of 10 Tacoma residents utterly hate and despise the city of Seattle and all its snobby, liberal, pretentious, smarter and hipper than thou populace. It always is a good laugh walking into a bar in Tacoma and then asking everyone how they like Seattle. The first words are , "SEEEAAATTLLEE!!!! OHHH I HATTEEEE SEEEAATTLEE!""

A majority of the state of Washington and Oregon residents are sick of what the immigrants and liberal fanatics are doing in Seattle and Portland. The politics of these two cities are trying to destroy the entire Northwest.

In reality, California probably would be a great state if they could just remove Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even Californians, as a whole state are rational-minded people once you remove the Los Angeles and Bay Area metros. Of course, that is like 60%-70% of the population of the state.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,183,360 times
Seattle is the best city in the USA imo....word got out about 25 years ago..now it is too crowded, and impossible to get a nice house due to the competition with California cash buyers, and apt rents are going up up up...the region is now officially closed to all new transplants....try Nebraska.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:19 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,823,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
Seattle is the best city in the USA imo....word got out about 25 years ago..now it is too crowded, and impossible to get a nice house due to the competition with California cash buyers, and apt rents are going up up up...the region is now officially closed to all new transplants....try Nebraska.
Listen to the John Denver song about Colorado (Colorado Rocky Mountain High).. It was performed over 40 years ago right when the Colorado immigration wave started. Talks about "More People, More Scars Upon The Land". I loved that line in that song.. It is so relevant as I watched it happen in my own home state of Oregon. You are a Folk Guitarist , so I thought you may respect that one..

Old 07-21-2015, 02:29 PM

1,720 posts, read 1,302,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Don't forget the South Sound.. I would say 8 out of 10 Tacoma residents utterly hate and despise the city of Seattle and all its snobby, liberal, pretentious, smarter and hipper than thou populace. It always is a good laugh walking into a bar in Tacoma and then asking everyone how they like Seattle. The first words are , "SEEEAAATTLLEE!!!! OHHH I HATTEEEE SEEEAATTLEE!""

A majority of the state of Washington and Oregon residents are sick of what the immigrants and liberal fanatics are doing in Seattle and Portland. The politics of these two cities are trying to destroy the entire Northwest.

In reality, California probably would be a great state if they could just remove Los Angeles and San Francisco. Even Californians, as a whole state are rational-minded people once you remove the Los Angeles and Bay Area metros. Of course, that is like 60%-70% of the population of the state.
Do you, by chance, have any data -survey results, etc.- to support what appear to be utterly baseless statements? 80% of Tacoma residents hate Seattle? Really? You are aware that Obama received 54% of the vote in Pierce County aren't you?

You seem to be under that delusion that everyone outside Seattle is like you, which simply isn't the case. If it were, Obama wouldn't have won this state, and the same-sex marriage and marijuana legalization ballot measures wouldn't have passed.

It must be lonely on your island...

Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 PM

79 posts, read 103,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Hi! By that I mean that although Seattle is technically smaller than Houston in population and land area, it shares more similarities with cities like NYC, San Francisco and other major world cities than sprawling, distinctly American suburban cities like Houston and Atlanta. Seattle is denser and more urban with comprehensive public transit, a lively mixed-use downtown district and multiple transit/bike/pedestrian-friendly "urban villages" scattered throughout the metro area, each with their own personality.

I suspect many armchair travelers (not necessarily you) look online and see that Seattle has fewer than a million people within the tiny official city limits and assume it is lighter weight than it actually punches, so this is a heads up. Seattle is NOT a mid-size, reasonably-priced, car-friendly city. Just forget it. No one moves to NYC thinking they will easily find a cheap, centrally-located view loft with included off-street parking and be able to drive to work and shops with abundant free parking everywhere. If you accept the same about Seattle, you'll be fine!

Seattle is gorgeous, and progressive, and blows Houston out of the water with its public services and amenities. BUT (!) the traffic is horrendous (much worse than in Houston) and it can feel cramped, crowded and loud to someone accustomed to a more suburban environs. Seattle feels like a big city, never mind the numbers.
I gotcha! Yeah, it can be deceiving at first no doubt, but by no means am I too intimidated just yet. Haha. Those are some interesting bits, though. Thank you!! Wouldn't be all too hard to knock Houston out when it comes to amenities and services. I do like the idea of the "urban villages". Makes me think of the Houston Heights, which is one of the areas I do like in Houston. That's funny about finding all of that in NYC. I know that is not the case. Bummer about the traffic, but with better public transit, I'd be happy leaving the car at home or the station. I don't think this armchair traveler (just kidding) has been turned off by any means.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM

26 posts, read 107,169 times
I am sure that Houston would be a jaw dropping mystery to the man they named it after. Chief Sealth wouldn't recognize this place either, and neither would my grampa who was born here in 1893. Seattle got stung in the 70's by being too dependent on Boeing. The state learned their lesson and diversified. We were mostly Jets and Fish and lumber, and hydropower, then we were jets and whole logs clearcut and sent to Japan then we were Jets, and high tech. Natives like Captain Sig of the Northwestern out of Ballard on Deadliest Catch typify the native Seattleite but so do folks who you would say are his complete opposite. Hard work and a blue collar economy abruptly, in many minds, became something unrecognizable. For many of us we always respected the right of another man's and woman's opinion to be voiced whether gently and diplomatically or rough and loud and we didn't and don't discriminate between the two. Many feel that Seattle has become a bit of an Orwellian nightmare where the mission vision statement has become, "We shall tolerate everyone and everything except that which we shalt not tooerate." Some call this the religion of progressivism where it's compassionate to turn up the drip on gramma's morphine IV but horrible to 'farm' the trees around communities like Aberdeen and Hoquium and allow loggers to make a living and feed their families and have dignity. Save the Whales but kill the humans in order to follow some flawed Malthusian mindset. Logging and Fishing towns like Aberdeen, Hoquium, and many other towns have had double digit unemployment for as long as I can remember. The natives do not and did not agree on everything but in logging for example the debate was clearcutting vs. selective forestry, not a complete big brother shut down of the woods that resulted. That "Spotted Owl Debate" is the Iconic Pacific Northwest Great Divide along with fishing rights for the northwest indigenous population. A lot of historical debate has passed by the people of this State and a lot of water has passed through the turbines and under the bridges long before there were even a half million people Statewide. Debates over abortion, euthanasia, legalized gambling, public smoking, legalizing recreational marijuana, changing the definition of marriage, all debates that Seattle and Western Washington and Eastern Washington have had. Folks in Eastern Washington aren't sure if anyone outside of Metro Seattle really has a voice in anything at all. People on these forums say people here are unfriendly, but I haven't met many unfriendly or intolerant people here. I think though that the 'progressive' voice is tyrranical and intolerant, bigoted and fundamentally frightening, and I also think that so much has changed so fast for so many natives that their, our, collective heads are still spinning from it all. But who am I. Just some dumb hick I guess. Turn up the morphine when I get old I guess, sigh... ..........lll

HELL NO!

All that to try to give you a little perspective because I would hate to see you miss out on meeting some of the most genuine, honest, hardworking, tolerant, generous, and kind people on the planet; who just happen to walk a little proud and talk a little loud and who used to give thanks and still do but more quietly that they were born in God's Country. Yes it was a common phrase no more than thirty years ago here. So I hope you come and I hope you love the Pacific Northwest as much as we do and I hope we can have a loud debate over anything we choose and then I hope you will let me buy you a beer and I hope we can find a bar where we can drink our beer and have a cigar with it if we want; outside of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area