Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:09 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,601,903 times

Advertisements

I will chime in about the Seattle Freeze- I also believe it is mostly a myth, or at least a product of unrealistic expectations. I am from the Midwest (Nebraska)- it's not exactly easy as an adult to get from good conversation to actual friendship there, either. It's the same anywhere. People here are friendly, pretty much as friendly as the Midwest. Easy to chat with people, even getting into good conversation. As an adult, it is just awkward to get from that stage to "hey, let's hang out and be friends" in any city, and Seattle is no different. Seattle is no WORSE, either, than any other place I've lived.

People seem to have an unrealistic expectation that they can just become friends with people easily like they did in school. Sure in high school or college that will still work even here- but anywhere you go as an adult beyond college, you will find that people have their own group of friends, often they have spouses and kids, and so they have less free time than before, and so they are set in their ways/lives/routines. If someone goes to Omaha, Nebraska they would have pretty much the same experience as they have here trying to break through that "friend" barrier as an adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2015, 02:34 PM

318 posts, read 625,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyDawg View Post
You are welcome. You learn something new every day on the internet.

I've learned I live in a Utopia.
Yes, indeed. Some of us even learn how to recognize satire and sarcasm when we see it.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:39 PM

368 posts, read 693,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDavid View Post
Yes, indeed. Some of us even learn how to recognize satire and sarcasm when we see it.
You got me NCDavid. You are too quick & intelligent to spar with.

My apologies to the OP for the direction of the thread. My only point is move here and then you'll see some of the traffic patterns.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:40 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,932,500 times
I think the "Seattle freeze" should really just be called the "Western United States freeze". Yes it's quite true that people in Seattle have little interest in making new friends, but I'd say this is also the case in Portland, Denver, Corvallis, Cheyenne, and Albuquerque.

People just tend to be loners and stick to their own here. If you don't make a lot of friends in grade school the western US can be a very lonely and isolating place.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:48 PM

3,750 posts, read 4,932,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I will chime in about the Seattle Freeze- I also believe it is mostly a myth, or at least a product of unrealistic expectations. I am from the Midwest (Nebraska)- it's not exactly easy as an adult to get from good conversation to actual friendship there, either. It's the same anywhere.
So basically you're saying the Pacific Northwest culture is not unique at all, but is simply innate human nature and people have the same degree of sarcasm and tendency towards loner-dom everywhere?

I simply don't agree, after hanging out with a bunch of Filipinos at my dad's wedding last year. Some cultures really are a lot more gregarious, open and sincere than others. I think Pacific Northwest people are indeed quite guarded and stoic compared to many culture, same with Omaha and upper Midwest locales.

I think it has to do with the Germanic base of both PNW and Upper Midwest culture. I think the South and East have more "lively" people in large part compared to the West and parts of the Midwest because they have more Latin (the West has Mexicans but they are the most reserved and stoic Latinos IMO), Irish, Italian and African American influence and those cultures tend to be more "people-oriented" and a bit less "anal" than Northern European cultures.

Old 07-23-2015, 03:16 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,245,270 times
When you visit a place, you will get a certain impression. After you live in a place, it might become something entirely different. Any afternoon, try going south on 405, from oh, Kirkland to South Renton at about 5 0'Clock. It is the absolute worst, on a fairly regular basis. Makes I-5 look like a walk in the park. Sure, other large cities also have godawful traffic. I've been stuck in Washington DC and New York City traffic, and it's horrible.
For people who have lived here, traffic has gotten a lot worse. To suggest that we've got nothing to complain about because other big cities have equally horrible traffic misses the point. Seattle has been a better city than those places precisely because it was a little slower paced and easier to take. Seattle is becoming more dense, more urban, more crowded. I still like it here, and I'm not about to move. But I'm sort of in mourning for the city that was, and you're basically saying " Get Over It."?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:20 PM

149 posts, read 185,432 times
My total commute on Monday, July 20, 2015 was 3.5 hours. HOURS, to go 34 miles.

I had to take my husband to a med appt a few months ago. THREE hours to go 20 miles (Spanaway to Bellevue).

YOU can have it! I'm outta here in December!

Old 07-23-2015, 03:36 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,295,423 times
Seattle was settled by Presbyterians from New England ("Bostons" as the natives called them) and then later by lots of Scandinavians (who came here to work in the fishing and forestry industries), neither of whom were particularly effusive or expressive. Now, the Italians and Irish that settled Rainier Valley and Capitol Hill were an entirely different matter, but were always outnumbered by the more dour and less friendly WASPs. Nor are there many Poles here. In general, Catholics are friendlier than Protestants (unless Southern Baptists, that is, although there aren't many of those here, either).

Old 07-23-2015, 03:50 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,497,548 times
Traffic is no myth. 5th worst in the Americas. LA, SF, Honolulu and Vancouver are the only cities that have streets that are more clogged and it makes me somewhat tempted to leave here.
Kitsap or any place North of Everett does not deal with it as much.

Old 07-23-2015, 04:27 PM

127 posts, read 163,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwtxcitywoman View Post

I had to take my husband to a med appt a few months ago. THREE hours to go 20 miles (Spanaway to Bellevue).
Spanaway to Bellevue is more like 45 miles

The traffic around Olympia is my pet hate (I avoid most peak hour traffic due to riding bike). Why does it always seem so bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area