Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:38 PM

348 posts, read 372,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I don't know what rock you've been living under, but that's not Newcastle....at all. Newcastle is significantly more expensive than most of Bellevue, save perhaps Yarrow or Clyde Hill.

The real rundown on it is this: Newcastle is a very sleepy little suburb that most people in the area don't even know exists. There's not a whole heck of a lot going on there, but it's quiet, it's super safe, it's highly affluent (I own a rental property there and get over $5k a month out of it, and there are about a dozen Seahawks that live in that subdivision). Your commute time to downtown during rush hour will be less than 30 minutes (if traffic isn't bad, the drive can be made in less than 20). Going home in the evenings, your only bottleneck is the 405/90 interchange. The mornings are slow throughout, but not unbearable.

The one big thing is there's basically NO transit, at all. Newcastle has 2 exits off 405 - exit 9 and exit 7. Exit 7 (the exit that goes down to the VMAC and up the hill towards the golf course) has no transit stops anywhere. Exit 9 does, but all the transit goes through either Renton Center or Bellevue Center, and will take you *forever* to use.
Data is the OP's friend, not anecdotes or blustering.

Bellevue has a notably higher median home price and has a higher COL. The OP should do a Google search to confirm.

The (average) rush hour commute from Newcastle to Seattle will NOT be under 30 minutes. Again, the OP should do a Google Map during rush hour to confirm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 05:10 PM

563 posts, read 1,787,278 times
To answer the question about off street parking for a boat trailer - its not allowed in city of Newcastle, police have right to tow it after 48 hours, I know because I called and asked. I suggest you do the same in case city laws have changed since 8 years ago.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:13 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
if you go north of 520, there are probably areas of kirkland (finn hill, etc.) that are similar to newcastle in terms of price but the commute is much better via the 520 bridge. however, there is a toll but again, if you get on a vanpool or take a bus, it's free for you (amazon gives you an orca card).
That's what I was thinking to. Much better bus service and the 520 toll means you won't get bogged down in traffic if you need to drive.

Old 08-10-2015, 12:57 AM

28 posts, read 76,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWGuy View Post
To answer the question about off street parking for a boat trailer - its not allowed in city of Newcastle, police have right to tow it after 48 hours, I know because I called and asked. I suggest you do the same in case city laws have changed since 8 years ago.
How many towns prohibit the off-street parking of boat/rv/utility trailers? I do not know if the rule is one way or another, but I did observe multiple visible "toy" trailers when walking around the neighborhood streets on google maps in Newcastle. Most were stuffed beside a house, or parked alongside the driveway. I even see stuff in Seattle proper on some of the older lots that are large enough.

If you think Kirkland will be commutable, I will just grab a rental like this one with a large shop and just store my stuff indoors. I looked at it and it just seemed too far on google maps at 8AM -- bus commutes at 1:15 and driving at 0:50

(http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent...ect/12_zm/2_p/)

Regarding driving -- I actually don't mind driving. The nuance of course will be parking. In just about any city I've visited, public transit has never been any quicker than just sitting through traffic yourself unless there was some sort of light rail of other more efficient form of transportation available, or you stayed directly next to a non-stop transit route. I like the time to unwind before I get home anyways and be able to drink my coffee during the commute in the morning.

Some of this certainly will be a lifestyle adjustment. I come from a 20 minute commute, live in a smaller pacific northwest area on acreage, and my only vehicle is a large pickup. I live in a small (1200 sq ft) modest ranch house, so as long as its clean, well maintained, and safe, it's a roof over my head and I don't care much what it is. Neither are exactly conducive to the major lifestyle changes that will occur, but I'd at least like to take a few of my things with.

Last edited by ljdata; 08-10-2015 at 01:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area