Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 10:50 PM

214 posts, read 649,753 times

Advertisements

I would say that african americans are recieved fairly well in seattle although if you are thinking about moving here and want to live near other AA's I would look in the south seattle area. I grew up in north seattle and honestly there are not many up here. I would say most the people I know are white followed by Vietnamese, Cambodian and Japanese. There are large populations of those three up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM

22 posts, read 81,578 times
I'll just say that as a 'black' that moved to Seattle once before, Seattle is a very welcoming place, and that's one of the reasons I love it and am coming back! =D

Old 08-15-2010, 01:16 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by electroprince View Post
I'll just say that as a 'black' that moved to Seattle once before, Seattle is a very welcoming place, and that's one of the reasons I love it and am coming back! =D
I had a similar experience myself, and so did my family. My father still speaks well of the Seattle area.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 AM

304 posts, read 850,919 times
Seattle is a true melting pot. People from all over the world are here. If you want just a majority black community experience for your kids, they can find that at one of the many black churches in the area. However, growing up in a very diverse community which includes African Americans, Africans, Asians, East Europeans, Scandinavians, Latinos and all the other communities that live in Seattle would have a positive effect on any child. They would be ready to become global citizens unlike if they grew up in an environment where everyone looked just like them.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandygirl View Post
Seattle is a true melting pot. People from all over the world are here. If you want just a majority black community experience for your kids, they can find that at one of the many black churches in the area. However, growing up in a very diverse community which includes African Americans, Africans, Asians, East Europeans, Scandinavians, Latinos and all the other communities that live in Seattle would have a positive effect on any child. They would be ready to become global citizens unlike if they grew up in an environment where everyone looked just like them.
That is something I am striving for.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:05 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,977,825 times
Damn insomnia keeping me up again tonight...

...anyway, my experience as someone who's half black in Seattle is that this is the least racist place in America. I mean, there really isn't a "black neighborhood" per say and everyone is pretty cool. You'll get the occasional racist prick like you will everywhere, but this city...

....if you are black, you will understand when I talk about the undercurrent or racism that exist in allot of East Coast cities. Segregated neighborhoods that are that way because of traditions, people looking at you funny if you are in the "wrong" neighborhood, and the lack of groups co-mingling. Here, it's none of that.

It's the way I always wanted it to be: people hate me or like me not because I'm a color, but because of who I am. I can hang out with people of different races, and no one bats an eye and you actually see different groups associating with each other.

I know there are less blacks here than there are in other cities, but a large black population and integration are not the same thing. Alabama has a higher proportion of blacks than Washington does, are you trying to tell me that blacks are better off and better accepted in Alabama than they are here?

Plus, every other couple in Seattle is interracial. In Jersey, even in 2010, people still look at interracial couples funny. Here, even interracial adoption doesn't raise an eyebrow.

All in all, this is a great city NOT to be black, but to be something better: this is a great city to be a HUMAN BEING who people see as a human first!*

* That whole human thing is forgotten if you litter, btw, no matter what race you are. Want to see someone get lynched in Seattle? It wouldn't be because of interracial dating or civil rights as much as it would be if someone had a dream about mixing the compost with the garbage and didn't wake up quickly and apologize to the EPA.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,704,642 times
just to make sure, as a black person, Seattle is nothing like my current city right?

Old 09-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders15 View Post
just to make sure, as a black person, Seattle is nothing like my current city right?
I have never been to Richmond, but if everything said there is true, then it isn't anything like Seattle.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,838 times
well I am currently in Atlanta and it surprised me of the diversity that it has. When o was in seattle, I knew of the diversity and the openness of the people there, that's what is making me return there in November. But I will say every city has it's own vibe and different cities feel different to many people. Being from NC myself I've always felt closer to Seattle than NC. Variety is the spice of life and that's probably why I enjoy this city as much as I do.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:47 PM

807 posts, read 2,258,162 times
By the way, all of these positive points change once you leave the metro area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area