Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 03:45 PM

149 posts, read 232,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
How should they be received ?
....and things will probably go left from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 03:20 AM

8 posts, read 17,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
I pointed this out in a previous post, but I honestly feel that Seattle (and the West in general) would be heaven for certain blacks who don't ascribe to the stereotypical negro song-and-dance.

I alluded to this in my last post, but the thread was immediately closed afterward (I wonder why ). Maybe I plucked the nerves of one too many people. Or maybe I was telling too much truth. But I'll say what I said in the last post again (and see if this thread stays open):

Those who whine about "those whiteys in Seattle be racist", it usually comes down to certain blacks just being mad because their swaggin and thuggin they try to sell as "black culture" isn't tolerated, so since they don't have the numbers to back them up, they run back East and down South with their tailed tucked between their legs.

These same blacks who whine because they can't get away with acting like clowns aren't as big of victims as they make themselves sound. They have plenty of places where they have the advantage like Detroit, Cleveland, Baltimore, or for the "Tupac with a degree and some coin" swaggin blacks, places like Atlanta and DC. Ask these tools how they treat non-stereotypical blacks in those places. I've never had any advantage dealing with these kind of blacks, and have always been a symbolic target.

The typical black person who needs to have the "typical black experience" and needs to be in or near the "typical black community" would be better off staying away from Seattle, and the West in general. With the exception of LA and SF, blacks for the most part are industrious, have a good reputation overall, and would rather not have that tarnished with a bunch of swaggin and thuggin minstrels running around. I feel this is especially the case in Seattle. Sounds hard and borderline self-hating, but it's probably how many blacks out here feel more than not, especially those who fled from the East, Midwest, and South. You "rank-and-file" blacks have your meccas. Let us have the few cities we can feel comfortable in.
I don't see much truth--it's awfully racist. You should feel ashamed but I know you don't. That's how ignorance works.

Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 PM

8 posts, read 17,250 times
Default State Legislature gets a ‘D’ on racial equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

Funny, every black person I know who's moved up here comments about how this is the least racist place they've ever seen. I'm half black and let me say, Seattle is the Yin to Oklahoma's Yang (never lived in Oklahoma, just visited briefly and it was awful)

No one has yet to look at me funny in my nearly three years here and people actually give minorities a chance when hiring. Interracial dating is everywhere and I see kids of different races actually playing together. And the police are pricks, I agree, but they are equal opportunity pricks. I would like to know where other than Seattle you'll have it better as a black person...

And what do you mean "to (sic) many many gay people suburbs or not to be trying to raise a kid"? How can anyone complain about racism, and then turn around and express homophobia?
This Op-ed from the Seattle Times might change your mind.

Op-ed: State Legislature gets a ‘D’ on racial equity | Opinion | The Seattle Times

Also read the Racial Justice Report Card. Seems racial inequality is on the rise everywhere in the US especially in WA. Numbers don't lie.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:19 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner6942 View Post
This Op-ed from the Seattle Times might change your mind.

Op-ed: State Legislature gets a ‘D’ on racial equity | Opinion | The Seattle Times

Also read the Racial Justice Report Card. Seems racial inequality is on the rise everywhere in the US especially in WA. Numbers don't lie.
They also don't tell the whole story. You can find any charts and as many as you want. What matters to real people in every day life is what they actually experience. The majority of people don't live in a mathematical chart world.

It seems as though you are too willing to use the race card and call anything you don't agree with racist. The post by barrel roll was not racist. Poorly written yes but not racist. Also, I don't think anyone is implying that Seattle is completely lacking any racism. That would be silly, of course there will always be some especially with such a transplant population. What we are saying is, it's one of the best cities as far as the amount of racism. Compare Seattle to other cities and this becomes clear. Take San Francisco and San Diego; in SF the black population isn't so much persecuted but has become highly marginalized. In SD there's no persecution either but you end up with the "invisible man" syndrome. By comparison Seattle is very lacking in both regards. All three cities have almost the same black population too.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:12 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,460 times
Every single person I've spoken to about living in Seattle has said, word for word, the same thing: I love the diversity here. I find that odd, because this is maybe the whitest place I've ever lived. I grew up in a very diverse city (Los Angeles), and never once had an Angeleno ever say those words to me. That said, things felt far more balanced for me in West Seattle. I saw tons of people of all races over there, so it felt a lot more like what I'm used to.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelenogirl View Post
Every single person I've spoken to about living in Seattle has said, word for word, the same thing: I love the diversity here. I find that odd, because this is maybe the whitest place I've ever lived. I grew up in a very diverse city (Los Angeles), and never once had an Angeleno ever say those words to me. That said, things felt far more balanced for me in West Seattle. I saw tons of people of all races over there, so it felt a lot more like what I'm used to.
Whites are the majority in Seattle. BUT the rest isn't so dominated but just one other race. There are blacks and Hispanics and Seattle's Asian area, unlike most places which generally have a Chinatown or Korea town is called The International District. The very reason for this is because it contains many Asian ethnicities. In fact it may be the only one place in the US that may contain just about all of them.

Also LA, like most of SoCal is decidedly more segregated.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:06 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
They also don't tell the whole story. You can find any charts and as many as you want. What matters to real people in every day life is what they actually experience. The majority of people don't live in a mathematical chart world.

It seems as though you are too willing to use the race card and call anything you don't agree with racist. The post by barrel roll was not racist. Poorly written yes but not racist. Also, I don't think anyone is implying that Seattle is completely lacking any racism. That would be silly, of course there will always be some especially with such a transplant population. What we are saying is, it's one of the best cities as far as the amount of racism. Compare Seattle to other cities and this becomes clear. Take San Francisco and San Diego; in SF the black population isn't so much persecuted but has become highly marginalized. In SD there's no persecution either but you end up with the "invisible man" syndrome. By comparison Seattle is very lacking in both regards. All three cities have almost the same black population too.
I agree. I mean, there is going to be racism anywhere you go, but there is a lot less of it in Seattle than in most of America.

People think Seattle is racist because there are no real "black neighborhoods" and blacks "have to" live around whites Oh yes, integration...nothing could be more racist than that.

You'll run into the occasional racist prick anywhere, but there are less of them in Seattle. And there are more opportunities for a hard working non-white in Seattle than in many other places. One in five couples married in King County are interracial:
Mixed marriages becoming more common in Wash. | KING5.com Seattle

So the bottom line is, there is less racism, but also racism will be less of an excuse for why one doesn't make it. Moderator cut: see note

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: rude, racist

Old 03-16-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I agree. I mean, there is going to be racism anywhere you go, but there is a lot less of it in Seattle than in most of America.

People think Seattle is racist because there are no real "black neighborhoods" and blacks "have to" live around whites Oh yes, integration...nothing could be more racist than that.

You'll run into the occasional racist prick anywhere, but there are less of them in Seattle. And there are more opportunities for a hard working non-white in Seattle than in many other places. One in five couples married in King County are interracial:

So the bottom line is, there is less racism, but also racism will be less of an excuse for why one doesn't make it. Moderator cut: see note
Yes! Exactly.

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2013 at 09:33 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 10:58 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,847 times
Quote:

Indeed. God forbid that a black person can actually have the choice of choosing which neighborhood he can live in, or not face good-ol-boy/WASP barriers for getting a high-end job, or the group of people he wants to befriend or date.

You want an inverse example of Seattle. I live in the Washington DC area, and it's known in black circles as the #2 Black Mecca just behind Atlanta. But In my 26 years of existence, I never received any privilege, had any jobs handed to me, nor was allowed to live wherever I wanted to just because I was black. In fact, the biggest opposition I faced from getting a job and having a great quality of life were from other black people. That was followed by racist (and usually, Northeast and Midwest transplant limousine liberal) whites who talked the talk about being "tolerant" but would never walk-the-walk when it came to job opportunities for high-end positions that lazy inexperienced whites with basket-weaving degrees (aka yuppies) got with minimal effort and education. I don't want to sound like a victim, but the point is when I faced racial discrimination, I didn't have fellow blacks come to my defense. Hell, half of the time, they would call me "Uncle Tom" for trying to make something of myself.

With hearing stories after stories after stories about Seattle essentially being the social and racial antithesis of DC along with my life experience, I hope people will see why I desire to live in a place like Seattle and why I come across as brash.

Last edited by Count David; 03-21-2013 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do a Barrel Roll View Post
Indeed. God forbid that a black person can actually have the choice of choosing which neighborhood he can live in, or not face good-ol-boy/WASP barriers for getting a high-end job, or the group of people he wants to befriend or date.

You want an inverse example of Seattle. I live in the Washington DC area, and it's known in black circles as the #2 Black Mecca just behind Atlanta. But In my 26 years of existence, I never received any privilege, had any jobs handed to me, nor was allowed to live wherever I wanted to just because I was black. In fact, the biggest opposition I faced from getting a job and having a great quality of life were from other black people. That was followed by racist (and usually, Northeast and Midwest transplant limousine liberal) whites who talked the talk about being "tolerant" but would never walk-the-walk when it came to job opportunities for high-end positions that lazy inexperienced whites with basket-weaving degrees (aka yuppies) got with minimal effort and education. I don't want to sound like a victim, but the point is when I faced racial discrimination, I didn't have fellow blacks come to my defense. Hell, half of the time, they would call me "Uncle Tom" for trying to make something of myself.

With hearing stories after stories after stories about Seattle essentially being the social and racial antithesis of DC along with my life experience, I hope people will see why I desire to live in a place like Seattle and why I come across as brash.
The brashness will only hurt you more, trust me man. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. This area is well known for being tolerant as well but, not everywhere all the time. I already mentioned the issues with San Francisco. Until recently, I worked at one of the tech companies here. There is another kind of racism/discrimination in that industry. Because of this, that mentality has spread throughout most of the are known as Silicon Valley. What happens in CA is true racism; the type the systematically eliminates you from any types of jobs, similar to what you discribed in DC but even more subtle.

What I'm about to say may seem rather unimportant but I think it further highlights Seattle as a better place with race and racial stereotyping. When I was there last, I was surprised to see there was a black news anchor named Shanequa(sp?). The reason I mention this is because I think in most cities she would have been encouraged to use another name on air. This may sound strange but lately there has been a move to encourage blacks to use less "ethnic" sounding names on resumes and job applications as potential employers may form premature stereotypes. This obviously seems to be a non issues completely in the Seattle area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area