Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 11:48 AM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
IslandCityGirl, sounds like you need to come back to us !
Oh, I never stay away longer than 2-3 months at a time... I get homesick quickly (says the brat who lives on a Caribbean island - lol). I'm here now, through the weekend, and LOVING it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 PM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
Thanks for a lot of the advice. We're probably going to pass on the Space Needle and opt for Kerry Park instead. After doing some research, I think this is where we're at:

1. 10:30am to Noon: Arrive, check into hotel, general settling stuff
2. Noon to 2pm: Head down to Pike Place Market (any lunch recommendations in the area?)
3. 2pm to 8pm: NEED IDEAS!!! Ferry maybe? But I can't imagine spending 6+ hours or so doing that. Any other ideas to fill this time? Probably going to use this time to "see" the Olympic Sculpture Park and Smith Tower as well, but the logistics of which are pretty open ended at this point.
4. 8pm to 10pm: Kerry Park
5. 10pm to ?: Ballard - but need some ideas on spots to checkout in Ballard.

Also, we're going to be in the area most of the day Sunday as well, but debated on either:

1. Staying in Seattle to do more
2. Visiting Portland since it's only 3.5 hours away (we'd rent a car)
3. Going to the coast because I've never seen the Pacific Ocean (yet I've seen the Atlantic, Indian, and Arctic Oceans).

Any general pointers/ideas?

Old 08-24-2015, 12:31 AM

319 posts, read 346,390 times
In OP it says you arrive 11am Sat the 5th and leave mid day Sunday the 6th. And you want to tour Seattle area and go to Portland or the coast all in those 2 days? That sounds really ambitious to me. And remember Seattle will be pretty crowded that weekend so getting around and in and out of town may be kind of jammed.

As for Seattle, I really like the Duck tour. It is kind of hokey but it drives you around and then out onto Lake Union and you get some nice views and history. Also the underground tour is fun and gives some fun history as well. As for a nice restaurant for dinner, we like The Pink Door, Tulio, Palisade, El Gaucho, the Georgian room in the Fairmont Hotel is really beautiful. There are so many to choose from. I'm not sure that Ballard would be my destination as a tourist for one night but if you think that is what you would like, go for it. It's more of a local neighborhood. I would want good views or romantic restaurants/ bars. A ferry or boat ride would be nice. And if you go down by the ferry terminal there you can walk along the water, get some fish and chips, ride the wheel, etc.

In Pike Place, Lowell's has a good breakfast and great views. Go the second floor for table service. Otherwise there are lots of vendors and little sit in nooks where you can get some great food.

Hope you have a great trip

Old 08-24-2015, 10:24 AM

595 posts, read 600,295 times
We've shifted some things around with our trip and I think really we have everything (mostly) figured out with the exception of what to do after 9pm on Saturday night. Ideally, we're looking for an awesome drinking/dining spot/area.

We're very pub oriented people (not club scene) and are looking for a neighborhood we can have dinner and find some drinks/entertainment. It doesn't have to be a touristy area (preferably not - we're doing touristy stuff most of the day anyway). We're doing a lot of the more "romantic" type stuff earlier in the day, we'll be looking to unwind in a fairly memorable way.

Not sure if anyone on here is from or has been to Pittsburgh, but something less Station Square (which is a touristy spot close to downtown) and more South Side Flats or Lawrenceville (further out from downtown, but are fun, walkable neighborhoods with all sorts of bars, late night food spot, music venues).

I know an earlier poster mentioned the Ballard area, but trying to get a better understanding of what that area is like, as well as to share our expectations with all of you here who are obviously much more familiar with the Seattle area in general to see what might best suit our needs.

In general, we're more of the "go to a metal show, drink good beer, and eat unique food" type crowd versus the "candlelight dinner for two with a scenic view" sort of people. Where should we go?

Old 08-24-2015, 11:27 AM

319 posts, read 346,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
In general, we're more of the "go to a metal show, drink good beer, and eat unique food" type crowd versus the "candlelight dinner for two with a scenic view" sort of people. Where should we go?
The 5 Point Café in Belltown

Old 08-24-2015, 01:53 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Driving to the Coast: About 125 miles to Westport, so 250 total, for instance. Best bet would be to leave early and return later in the evening to avoid traffic. Figure around 3 hours each way, give or take an hour.

Aberdeen:

* Gray's Harbor Historical Seaport - home port to the Lady Washington and Hawaiian, tall ship replicas. IF in port.

* Billy's Bar & Grill. Was Billy Gohl's place, early in the 20th century. One of Washington's most prolific serial killers, numbering over 40 victims, mostly sailors, by some counts. They went in, but never came out...

Hoquiam:

* Hoquiam's Castle. Turn of the century Victorian mansion, built by a logging baron. Free guided tour afternoons (but call to check).

Westport:

* Grays Harbor Lighthouse (and walk through dunes to beach).

* Westport Maritime Museum (Westport dock)

* Westhaven State Park (surfing beach)

* Dinner: Odysseus (near lighthouse)

Grayland:

* Grayland Beach State Park

Note: You'll need a Discover Pass ($10 for one-day) to park at State Parks. You can just find a spot to park outside the park, and walk in.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:34 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lprmesia View Post
I know an earlier poster mentioned the Ballard area, but trying to get a better understanding of what that area is like, as well as to share our expectations with all of you here who are obviously much more familiar with the Seattle area in general to see what might best suit our needs.

If busing it, just catch the #40 in Downtown, then get off on Market St & Ballard Ave. If driving, look for free street parking north of Market (four blocks?).

Pubs/Taverns: Conor Byrne (Irish), The Olde Pequliar (Irish), The Peoples Pub (German), The Sloop (fishermen's bar/W. Ballard), Lock & Keel Tavern, Kangaroo & Kiwi (Aussie), etc.

Micro-Breweries (too many to list): Ballard Breweries

Music: Tractor Tavern, Sunset Tavern, Salmon Bay Eagles Club, Egan's Jam House (Jazz), Conor Byrne (Irish), Nectar Lounge (Fremont), the Josephine (Whittier Heights).

Old 08-25-2015, 09:58 AM

213 posts, read 278,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
If busing it, just catch the #40 in Downtown, then get off on Market St & Ballard Ave. If driving, look for free street parking north of Market (four blocks?).

Pubs/Taverns: Conor Byrne (Irish), The Olde Pequliar (Irish), The Peoples Pub (German), The Sloop (fishermen's bar/W. Ballard), Lock & Keel Tavern, Kangaroo & Kiwi (Aussie), etc.

Micro-Breweries (too many to list): Ballard Breweries

Music: Tractor Tavern, Sunset Tavern, Salmon Bay Eagles Club, Egan's Jam House (Jazz), Conor Byrne (Irish), Nectar Lounge (Fremont), the Josephine (Whittier Heights).
For pubs don't forget The Smoke Shop (the ultimate Fisherman's bar), Hattie's Hat, Kings, Ballard Station, Hazelwood, The Noble Fir, The Loft, Pie Bar, Backbar at Bastille, and the Stepping Stone. (Among others)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area