Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:15 PM

48 posts, read 57,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
Stack ranking technically died on Ballmer's watch:

Microsoft Kills Its Hated Stack Rankings. Does Anyone Do Employee Reviews Right? - Businessweek

I think a lot of the reason why had to do with recruitment. This happened as Amazon's rise began in earnest; with a competitor in their backyard, they had to do something to keep from losing out.
This is all accurate. Microsoft also announced a few weeks ago that they were changing benefits for paternity and maternity leave as well in order to remain competitive in attracting talent. They now offer 5 months of leave for women and 12 weeks for fathers. Mothers also have the option to go back at half-time after their leave is over.

As a Microsoft employee, the review process has been positive. My coworkers are not backstabbers and in general, I would consider it a challenging and great working environment. Having worked at a lot of big name employers across different industries, I consider MS my favorite over beloved employers such as REI. Even though there is a lot of pressure to perform well, I don't foresee myself getting burnt out. Balance is dependent on your team similar to Amazon.

I met up with a former college classmate for lunch a few years ago when he had just started working for Amazon. He had left Microsoft because his team was ultra-competitive and toxic. He's now been at Amazon for a few years so it must be tolerable?

Amazon has had a reputation for being slave-drivers ever since I can remember (dating pre-SLU, when they were headquartered in an old hospital building). I've had Amazon recruiters contact me, however, I'm leary of their reputation and the traffic is terrible in SLU. I worked 2 blocks from I-5 two years ago and every day I would have to force my way into the onramp line amidst angry, honking drivers despite the fact I was pulling out of a parking lot and wasn't cutting in line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:49 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,218 times
I should probably point out that stack ranking is only dead in name. I have it on very good authority that the practice itself is still very much alive, it's just done on the down low now and with a little more sleight of hand.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:56 PM

176 posts, read 299,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I should probably point out that stack ranking is only dead in name. I have it on very good authority that the practice itself is still very much alive, it's just done on the down low now and with a little more sleight of hand.
Are you referring to the "slider"?

Old 08-17-2015, 09:01 PM

426 posts, read 526,387 times
There were a few teams that did it on the down low last fiscal year (after they announced that stack ranking was gone) but HR has since put out a strict mandate for the next review cycle which would keep any teams from doing it going forward.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:05 PM

176 posts, read 299,082 times
For those still skeptical about the Amazon stories, read through the comments on this Reddit post: https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/com...r_amazon_is_a/

Old 08-17-2015, 09:13 PM

What amazes me most is that Jeff Bezos likes to look at things objectively. The cigarette smoking example is a perfect reflection of this. Yet he does not see the most obvious statistic. Employee retention: the average Amazon employee leaves the company in less than 2 years. That's absolutely astounding.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:16 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,697,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
What amazes me most is that Jeff Bezos likes to look at things very objectively. The cigarette smoking example is the perfect reflection of this. Yet he does not see the most obvious statistic. Employee retention, one of the lowest of any tech company. On average, the Amazon employee leaves in less than 2 years. Uh, HELLO
Here's the unfortunate thing about Amazon, they move so many people here and those people leave Amazon after a year or two. Do they leave Seattle? No, they stay.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:20 PM

Not necessarily. Seattle is known to be a pretty transient city for this very reason.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,697,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityWok View Post
Not necessarily. Seattle is known to be a pretty transient city for this very reason.
I would like to see the data on that.

Washington’s population tops 7 million

OLYMPIA, WA – Washington’s population increased considerably in the past year. Annual
estimates prepared by the Office of Financial Management show the state’s population increased
by 93,200 to 7,061,400 between 2014 and 2015. This 1.34 percent gain — up from 1.25 percent
in 2014 — marks the largest annual increase since 2008.
Washington’s population has been growing at an increasing rate, driven largely by migration.

http://www.ofm.wa.gov/pop/april1/ofm...ss_release.pdf

Old 08-17-2015, 09:39 PM

Right, but all that proves is that currently, input is greater than output. It doesn't mean people aren't leaving.

Seattle isn't the only place for tech. It's not even the best. It's merely one of the many growing cities. Some will flock to Silicon Valley, Austin, Charlotte, New York, etc. Don't forget the Californians, Chinese, etc. all contribute to the growing number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area