Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 04:05 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,580 times

Advertisements

Will the Seattle metro get more urban sprawl with the rising house prices I wouldn't be surprised if people start buying out more towards the mountains or in kitsap. I personally would like to see the area all the way to the mountains developed but with large patches as nature preserves and have it developed with light rail and smart and sustainable housing. Lots of rain gardens and lots of free lined streets a lot of apartments and condos but some houses with small back yards. I like sprawl because I like going to lots of different town that have their own feel and seeing the unique stores and restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 05:25 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,881,626 times
There's no room to sprawl. Furthermore, large-scale urban growth has to be consistent with the Growth Management Act. Local governments have basically planned out how this region will grow, and it's not going to be suburban sprawl.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:26 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
We've basically sprawled as far as we can, because we're constrained by the Mountains on the one side and the Sound on the other.

If you take a weekend drive out to North Bend, Snoqualmie, and Fall City, you'll find lots and lots of traffic. They're pretty much full up. Yeah, you could move out there, but the commute into Seattle is a killer. Same with commuting from Mill Creek to the north, Puyallup/Fife to the south, and Silverton to the west. Maybe a bigger house and lot is worth it, maybe not...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Yes, surely what we need with large patches of suburban decay formed over the past 3 decades is more sprawl.

Revitalize the inner ring suburbs before bulldozing more forest.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:02 PM

125 posts, read 141,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
There's no room to sprawl. Furthermore, large-scale urban growth has to be consistent with the Growth Management Act. Local governments have basically planned out how this region will grow, and it's not going to be suburban sprawl.
Then how do you explain the new sprawled out developments in Black Diamond?

Old 08-21-2015, 12:29 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,356,808 times
Run light rail out to Bellevue-Redmond, Issaquah, Northgate-Shoreline-Lynnwood, Federal Way, West Seattle, Ballard, then build up around stations.

ST4: Puyallup-Tacoma, Everett, Lake City-Bothell, Renton?

Hi-Speed Rail: Everett, Mt. Vernon, Bellingham, Vancouver B.C. to the north; Tacoma, Olympia, Centralia?, Portland, Salem, Eugene, to the south. Later: Yakima, Tri-Cities, Spokane?

Light rail allows you to establish denser corridors and feeder hubs connecting urban and suburban areas. Hi-speed rail allows the leap-frogging of sprawl, enabling density-development well beyond the reach of light rail. This could be the antidote to escalating urban land values.

Think of it as bypass surgery. Expensive? Yes. Necessary? Yes.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:48 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,066,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exlamatir View Post
Then how do you explain the new sprawled out developments in Black Diamond?
A city council that screwed over their constituents.

Old 08-21-2015, 12:50 PM

184 posts, read 335,736 times
I think we need to have some serious discussions about reclaiming portions of the sound for future development.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:38 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
I personally would like to see the area all the way to the mountains developed but with large patches as nature preserves and have it developed with light rail and smart and sustainable housing.
Hell no! Build 100 story condos in Seattle and keep the people west of Lk Washington. WA does almost nothing smart so your plan would be a complete failure and politicians would allow developers to destroy everything in that area. They already have "urban growth zones" in the foothills that are ruining rural areas with excessive building, but without increasing road capacity to get people in/out of those areas.

Old 08-21-2015, 02:52 PM

977 posts, read 1,010,580 times
I was looking at king county's growth map and I didn't see any large nature preserves maybe I just couldn't find them or whatever but that shochocked me. I think large nature preserves should be very important for air quality and habitat for displaced animals. Maybe I am just over reacting but I think they are very important especially in our environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area