Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 05:31 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I've been here for a few months and the people who are really friendly and upbeat with me are originally from SF, LA, Texas, or some East coast city...

Even people I met who were from Tacoma or Puyallup and Spokane were really friendly.

The native Seattleites just look at you like you're an alien if you try to talk to them in a social setting.
How do you know they're from Seattle if they won't talk to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2015, 11:28 PM

678 posts, read 875,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
How do you know they're from Seattle if they won't talk to you?

I ask where people are from a lot. I do talk to them but the conversation usually lasts less than 5 minutes and then they evaporate into the air.

Old 09-06-2015, 02:00 AM

3,533 posts, read 5,829,741 times
Seattle is the land of the lonely.. Everyone hitches themselves to a clique of people who supposedly think the same way they do and live a similar lifestyle to what they do. Seattle is very homogeneous city which, despite its reputation , seems to lack diversity of any physical, cultural or spiritual in every way. People in Seattle are scared of change, diversity and people who think, act , look , eat , drink or engage in different form of activities or have different interests than themselves. G-d forbid you voted for the wrong cause or don't think this or that cause is good or bad.

I find some of the colder and more reserved people to not be just locals, but to me transplants from the more uppity cities around the globe. Native Washingtonians are fairly reserved, but they are the kind of people you can sit down and get drunk with. I find many of the transplants to Seattle to be the most cold and pretentious, as the type of people who are attracted to this city seem to be either chasing the dollar or chasing after their ego. Everyone comes to Seattle to make some type of name for themselves, whether it is to prove they are the greatest artist or the coolest and most brilliant mind at Amazon. The competitive, every person for themselves, step on one another mentality has turned a once , cool , friendly and hip city into a cesspool of snobbery, arrogance and pretentiousness.

I kind of remember when I thought about living in San Francisco a long time ago and I was exposed to this snobby, arrogant mentality. Coming frmo Oregon in the 90s, where everyone was friendly, people were more modest, easy going, taking a trip to California, which at 19 or 20, I thought was suppose to be cool, was a very sobering and refreshing reality check for me. Suddenly, I realized how great Oregon was and I got in my car and drove away from California and never looked back since that day. It seems Seattle is really becoming like an even more snobby version of places like San Francisco, as all the uppity folks from these big cities migrate here.

One thing I will say is that San Francisco was invaded long, long ago.. The phenomenon you will face in Seattle is that many native Washingtonians are literally foreigners in their own city and even state. Many of them don't even know how to behave and some are utterly disgruntled by the degradation of their home.

Old 09-06-2015, 12:09 PM

305 posts, read 450,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Since you are replying to a poster that moved to Chicago years ago and only posts here negatively, perhaps Seattle isn't for you anymore? It happens.
Better than responding to someone who spends so much time on this site that he knows every poster's history. Maybe it's time to get out of the house, Seacove?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area