Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:00 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times

Advertisements

Oh dear IRA, chill baby, chill. Go to your peaceful place and breathe, have some of your favorite pizza. I think you had some subpar coffee this morning, got rather reactive and didn't read my words very well. I'm not recommending to buy now, buying is clearly a personal decision. Everyone has their own path. Most economists agree that interest rates are going to increase. It is, for many people who are considering buying a home in the future, something to consider.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 09-06-2015 at 12:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 01:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Oh dear IRA, chill baby, chill. Go to your peaceful place and breathe, have some of your favorite pizza. I think you had some subpar coffee this morning, got rather reactive and didn't read my words very well. I'm not recommending to buy now, buying is clearly a personal decision. Everyone has their own path. Most economists agree that interest rates are going to increase. It is, for many people who are considering buying a home in the future, something to consider.
First of all, how well do people react when told to chill? Don't you think it has the effect of invalidating their points, or at least not addressing them? Second of all, I never drink subpar coffee.
Third, you started this thread. If it were someone not connected to the real estate industry, I'd put a lot more stock in it. But you're saying that there seems to be a little easing/slowing down, making it a little easier to buy. Then, when someone suggests that they might wait two years, your first reaction is to warn that interest rates are "for sure" going to rise.
But, okay, I'll play the game. In my observation, the most sought after parts of the Seattle area are easing a little. But condos and the less expensive parts of the Seattle area are red hot. In 2007, before the crash, the hottest segments of the market were condos and the lower tier/less expensive parts of the Seattle area. These were also the segments that crashed the most. I'm not predicting that the market's about to crash. I don't think it will. But I don't really have a clue. I'm not an economist, and most predictions by economists. like weather forecasters, are wrong.

Old 09-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Wow Ira, I have never seen you so sensitive. I was only joking, my friend. My comment about interest rates happens to be a legitimate consideration that my buyers ask me about consistently. My job is to provide information, good and bad, then they make up their own minds.

Most people would tell you that the current upswing in Seattle real estate is based on market conditions, hiring, limited supply, much more concrete dynamics than the "time before" you speak of. Oh and by the way: if interest rates aren't higher a year from now, I pledge to put on a wig and lip synch to Billy Idol and post it for the whole City Data community to see.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 09-06-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 09-06-2015, 05:01 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Wow Ira, I have never seen you so sensitive. I was only joking, my friend. My comment about interest rates happens to be a legitimate consideration that my buyers ask me about consistently. My job is to provide information, good and bad, then they make up their own minds.

Most people would tell you that the current upswing in Seattle real estate is based on market conditions, hiring, limited supply, much more concrete dynamics than the "time before" you speak of. Oh and by the way: if interest rates aren't higher a year from now, I pledge to put on a wig and lip synch to Billy Idol and post it for the whole City Data community to see.
This will have to be a live performance. I want to see you with a wig, lip synching to Billy Idol. Just on Youtube won't cut it. Sounds like a perfect excuse for a Seattle City-Data meetup. We can even charge admission. But I keep 3%.

Old 09-06-2015, 06:00 PM

908 posts, read 960,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
This will have to be a live performance. I want to see you with a wig, lip synching to Billy Idol. Just on Youtube won't cut it. Sounds like a perfect excuse for a Seattle City-Data meetup. We can even charge admission. But I keep 3%.

Old 09-06-2015, 07:38 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I'm in for that one!

Old 09-06-2015, 09:42 PM

I woke up this morning a mostly trustworthy real estate broker/remote world traveler. And now, City Data has made me a star. As Dana Carvey in Wayne's World on SNL used to say, "I'm not worthy". Either I am right on the interest rates or I get to rip out Billy Idol songs in a wig. Either way, I win. Thanks to all of you who believed in me.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 AM

319 posts, read 346,352 times
Interest rates will most likely go up and we will also most likely go into a recession so how that will impact prices here is yet to be seen. The assumption as of late in this area is that everything will keep going up, up, up but according to economists, that is not going to continue into 2017/2018 for the country overall.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM

12 posts, read 25,997 times
We are in the Issaquah Highlands and since last summer eight houses have sold in my neighborhood of 45 houses. They all went on the market on Thursday/Friday and sold by Monday. They all sold over asking. Recently a house went on and sat for nearly three weeks. They priced too high and instead of a bidding war, they ending up dropping their price by $15,000 to secure a buyer. Lowest asking price since last summer. It is pending right now so don't know about the final price. Thanks for thread, I was wondering if our neighborhood was indicative of the rest of the market.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:03 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam's mom View Post
We are in the Issaquah Highlands and since last summer eight houses have sold in my neighborhood of 45 houses. They all went on the market on Thursday/Friday and sold by Monday. They all sold over asking. Recently a house went on and sat for nearly three weeks. They priced too high and instead of a bidding war, they ending up dropping their price by $15,000 to secure a buyer. Lowest asking price since last summer. It is pending right now so don't know about the final price. Thanks for thread, I was wondering if our neighborhood was indicative of the rest of the market.
I was also going to chime in as a Highlands resident...

I think things have slowed down here. I know of several properties that sat and sat and a few still sit...

I know one family that had their home on the market a few months back, got low ball offers and have since pulled it off the market and are renting it out (I have no clue what they wanted for it though).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area