Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2015, 03:03 PM

3 posts, read 2,848 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 40 year old married man with no kids moving from MN to WA in the winter for my job. I will be working in Tacoma and Puyallup. I am looking for a nice and safe place to live closer to Seattle with max of 25 miles commute to Puyallup. My priorities would be outdoor activities, night life and scenery. Cost is not a concern.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,667,143 times
Cost maybe not me a concern, but that doesn't answer how much you'd like to pay.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:06 PM

3 posts, read 2,848 times
Des Moines vs Normandy park vs Renton vs Newcastle ?

Old 09-14-2015, 03:55 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,363,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipo35a View Post
Hi,
I am a 40 year old married man with no kids moving from MN to WA in the winter for my job. I will be working in Tacoma and Puyallup. I am looking for a nice and safe place to live closer to Seattle with max of 25 miles commute to Puyallup. My priorities would be outdoor activities, night life and scenery. Cost is not a concern.

Thanks in advance!!
What kind of nightlife? Bars and cafes, or live entertainment?

If down to Tacoma or Puyallup, the Tacoma's Downtown and Northend areas will give you more of both. You'll be closer to Hood Canal and the Olympic Peninsula for outdoor recreation.

Commutes here aren't generally measured in miles, but in minutes (if not hours).

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 09-14-2015 at 04:44 PM..

Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sipo35a View Post
Des Moines vs Normandy park vs Renton vs Newcastle ?
Des Moines: There are outdoor activities and scenery, but nightlife is nearly non existent. Nearby Burien has much more night life, more hiking, and nice scenery. With Des Moines and Burien both, the further west you are, the better. Des Moines close to HWY 99 is probably best avoided, and Burien east of 1st ave s is best avoided. But I would choose Burien over Des Moines in a NY minute, there's just much more to do.

Normandy Park: It's safe. It's got scenery. It's boring.

Renton: Disclosure: I live in Renton. It's got Lake Washington and the Cedar River trail, and several good places to eat and drink. Like Des Moines and Burien, there are less savory parts. Renton has a boathouse where you can rent a canoe or kayak.

Newcastle: Kinda like Normandy park, maybe better suited for families. It's safe. It has great hiking trails. Renton borders Newcastle, so if you lived in Renton, it wouldn't take long to get to Newcastle's trails. There's also Lake Washington access. But nightlife? There's a good Chinese restaurant.

Old 09-14-2015, 08:42 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,297,556 times
Burien has come a long way, cafes, pubs, I think you might be happy there. It offers easy access for heading south to Tacoma. Parts of Burien have fabulous Puget Sound and mountain views, amazing waterfront at Three Tree Point.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:39 PM

176 posts, read 299,303 times
If you could tell us what kind of place you'd like to live in (condo, th, sfh, beds + bath), along with your price range, that would better help everyone trying to help you.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:10 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,072,535 times
Fly your private jet into any of the smaller airports scattered around the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area