U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM

110 posts, read 196,375 times

Advertisements

I received an offer from Boeing (in Renton) for $60K but I currently make $80K here in Los Angeles. Am I going to make it? The position is for one of those rotational programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 04:50 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,117,556 times
Depends on if you rent or want to own a house

Depends on if you have kids

If you have no kids and will rent you do great!! Easy transition from LA $ to Seattle $. It the weather that sucks (I'm from Santa Monica/Westchester)

Old 01-28-2008, 05:02 PM

Well, I do want to own a home and I have two kids (1 entering Kinder). My wife brings in extra income from a home-based biz...about $36K per year. I suppose total then we are at 96K.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM

91 posts, read 275,729 times
No one can answer that question for you,I would not take any advice as reality....Calculate all your expenses against projected expenses and you will have a great picture....
For Example if I make 60k per year in SO CAL and move to Seattle I would do great as I have equity that can be converted for a respectable down payment on a home,my cars are all paid for and I have no debt...
Now if I make 60K per year in Seattle but leased a New Mercedes Benz last year at $799.00 per month on a S-class,with $17k in credit card debt and $495.00 per month due in Student Loan payments=add in rent/mortgage/insurance etc and 60k will ensure that I can drive my S-Class right up to the free bread lines with not enough gas in the tank to drive away....

Old 01-28-2008, 05:07 PM

St. Croix,

Good points. I would say my expenses are in line with no debt except 1 car loan at around $300. I do have the down payment available for a home purchase but will probably wait until the market cools down a bit more. So, initially, will rent then buy later.

Overall, our family expenses are in good shape with the occasional splurge like most people do on a nice dinner or a nice pair of shoes.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:14 PM

820 posts, read 1,923,225 times
Are you certain your wife's income will stay the same operating the home business from here?

Old 01-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Yes, it should stay the same as it is not dependant on where she lives. Basically, it's a family-owned business where does some accounting.

Sorry for all the questions but it's just such a huge decision for me and most of the advice from my friends and family don't help because they don't know or have ever lived in Seattle.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:37 PM

3,177 posts, read 10,117,556 times
WHat part of LA are you in - what kind of neighborhoods do you like? That will also determine where you will live and if you will "suffer" - but making it in LA on 96K - that is pretty good

The Eastside (bellevue, Redmond, issaquah) are the more family friendly areas - suburbs - all the great yuppie-ness you can find

Seattle is not as family oriented (I mean it is - just not like it over there) and the schools on the seattle side suck

Old 01-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Hi citygirl,

thank you for your replies. I am glad that this forum is an active forum not like others where replies take days or even weeks.

In any case, I currently reside in Porter Ranch which is about 30 miles north-west of Los Angeles downtown. If you don't know Porter Ranch then you might know the San Fernando Valley, it's there.

Do you know Thousand Oaks or Agoura here in So Cal? I am looking for something like that up there in Seattle.

All this is matters, of course, if I take the job.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:48 PM

1,368 posts, read 4,476,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sejinro View Post
Hi citygirl,

thank you for your replies. I am glad that this forum is an active forum not like others where replies take days or even weeks.

In any case, I currently reside in Porter Ranch which is about 30 miles north-west of Los Angeles downtown. If you don't know Porter Ranch then you might know the San Fernando Valley, it's there.

Do you know Thousand Oaks or Agoura here in So Cal? I am looking for something like that up there in Seattle.

All this is matters, of course, if I take the job.

Last I heard is that it snowed this morning around Seattle... so, when that happens, everyone smart stays home.

Edit: Thats my assumption why its really active today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area