Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,014 times

Advertisements

My friend has a potential job opportunity in Seattle and is having a hard time deciding whether she should move to the opposite side of the country to take it.

She adored Seattle when she visited, but is under the impression that Seattle has become too much of a trendy city to live in, in similar fashion to some of the boomtowns of the sunbelt. Obviously, this isn't true in regards to growth numbers, but after being miserable in Phoenix for 3 years, she's a bit skeptical about the "trendy" aspect of Seattle, as she's encountered so many people who rave about the city.

What have your experiences been? Does there seem to be an excess of transplants? Or is the population relatively static? Is there a distinct local flavor that kind of stays through the time?

I just want some opinions to get an idea of whether or not her fears are unfounded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM

59 posts, read 224,045 times
I want to say, "No, Seattle is not too trendy", but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by it. What is she actually worried about? If she moves here, what would make living here unpleasant for her?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:48 PM

3,176 posts, read 14,696,911 times
What is trendy?

I came from Calif - compared to Seattle, Seattle is dull. My fashion sense has gone out the window and replaced with clothes from REI

Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 PM

17 posts, read 172,540 times
There is definitely a local flavor here Seattle is new and exciting even to natives because it is always changing ever so slightly, but still maintains the Seattle feeling. Seattle is a great city to live and work in!
I have a lot of relatives in Phoenix and I would not be able to live there, either
Your friend should come out and visit and look at the different neighborhoods and Seattle suburbs - they are all quite unique!

Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,014 times
I think she's mostly afraid that too many people are in love with Seattle and that it will become another Phoenix (overcrowded and generic-feeling because of too many transplants).

I don't imagine that it's too much of a problem, but I promised to get some local opinion for her.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM

17 posts, read 172,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadazzled View Post
I think she's mostly afraid that too many people are in love with Seattle and that it will become another Phoenix (overcrowded and generic-feeling because of too many transplants).

I don't imagine that it's too much of a problem, but I promised to get some local opinion for her.
Hi again! We have a lot of room for growth in population Have her come visit us! Make sure she hits the beach at the coast, too to get a sense of the other coast

Old 01-29-2008, 07:29 AM

72 posts, read 300,248 times
There is no city that is "too trendy" or "not trendy enough," at least in objective terms. There are ways to live in Omaha and have it be very trendy for you, and ways to live in Manhattan and have it not be trendy enough for you.

If you choose your location by trying to ride with or against the ever-changing, always fleeting, and impossible to predict trend waves, you will soon go certifiably insane.

Choose where you'd like to live on one over-arching criterion: Where you'd like to live. Then make your city/town/neighborhood be what you want it to be for you, not the other way around.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 AM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtneyCooper View Post
Hi again! We have a lot of room for growth in population Have her come visit us! Make sure she hits the beach at the coast, too to get a sense of the other coast
Uh, I don't think there's that much room for growth. It is pretty crowded already in Seattle, maybe not so much in other counties.

I'm not discouraging the friend from moving here, but if overcrowding is an issue for her, I don't think you can say there's nothing to worry about.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:57 PM

56 posts, read 238,737 times
Seattle is not trendy!!! It is most relax laid back place in terms of clothing that i have ever been. You can sport you REI wear to a nice restaurant in the evening and not be out of place. That being said sometime I think it too relaxed but I love that people aren't judged on there cost and fashionable clothing rather charatacter of a person.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:02 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl72 View Post
What is trendy?

I came from Calif - compared to Seattle, Seattle is dull. My fashion sense has gone out the window and replaced with clothes from REI
Are you kidding me? Sacramento?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area