Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:33 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
If you had read everything I wrote in its entirety, which I doubt you did, you would have understood that my point is that Seattle has been a thriving and successful city due to the more conservative politics of this state, which is still demographically very red.
No it's not. Demographically, Washington has been effectively blue for 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 06:39 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,831,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
No it's not. Demographically, Washington has been effectively blue for 30 years.
Wrong, just look at your map.. And, there are many swing counties that have tendency to go red, but went blue in the last election, which include, Skagit, Whatcom and Clark counties. Clark county has been overwhelmingly red until recently with the major influx of Portland and other California/East liberal transplants moving in.

Pierce county also has a very blue collar/union worker style Democrat makeup, but that can also swing the other way if the democrats keep alienating these people and chase away their employers from the region and tax them to death, since many of these middle class blue collar workers end up in the "rich zone" of the more radical leftist democrats we are seeing in our era. Pierce county is very much like Western Pennsylvania style democrats.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Wrong, just look at your map.. And, there are many swing counties that have tendency to go red, but went blue in the last election, which include, Skagit, Whatcom and Clark counties. Clark county has been overwhelmingly red until recently with the major influx of Portland and other California/East liberal transplants moving in.
Yes, look at that map and where the population resides. Multiple blue counties, not just King. Pretty much most of Western Washington. And even Whitman county in the East passed Ref. 74

Referendum Measure No. 74 Concerns marriage for same-sex couples

Old 10-06-2015, 06:57 PM

615 posts, read 666,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
I moved here a few weeks ago from SF and I've never been happier. I feel more at home here than anywhere I've ever lived.

There is something so calming and serene about living in the Pacific Northwest. It's stunningly beautiful. But also, Seattle is way more urban, sophisticated and walkable than I ever thought it would be. It's got the amenities I liked of the older, more traditional "urbane" cities but it's wayyyyy cleaner and well run and certainly less claustrophobic. You also don't see many thugs and unstable, aggressive homeless people here (I lived in SoMA in SF, and it was scary walking 4 blocks at night to my car everyday. Not once have I felt "sketchy" here). It surpassed my expectations on this one. Yes, transit could be better, but because I live in Capitol Hill everything I need is a short walk away.

Why the hype over dirty, filthy and expensive SF? This place is so much more livable and affordable. Better yet, people have been super nice and welcoming..I haven't experienced the freeze. In fairness, a bunch of my friends from SF had relocated here 2 years ago, so I'm not starting from scratch, but the locals they've introduced me too all seem very nice. Some of you guys focus on the negatives way too much.
Why the ignorant questions?
Give yourself 9-12 months or more before bashing other peoples opinions. I bash it (aside from the outdoors) and I lived there for two decades. I have ground to stand on and you don't.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505HPC6Z06 View Post
Why the ignorant questions?
Give yourself 9-12 months or more before bashing other peoples opinions. I bash it (aside from the outdoors) and I lived there for two decades. I have ground to stand on and you don't.
Why be like that?

Old 10-06-2015, 09:19 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
My take, Seattle is one of the best places to live in the USA. Its clean, newish, youthful, beautiful nature and setting, trendy, live and let live, artsy, hip, and it is so green and has mountains and water galore. But in the last ten years, or so, things have changed. Too many people have moved here, and continue to, which has rendered the area really congested, and the traffic horrible (though great places have this trend). The rents and housing costs have been soaring. It is not near as friendly a city as it once was years ago. It is much harder these days to date, and befriend others now. High quality of life due to the economic engine and the educated populace, for sure.

I prefer the old Seattle then the new Seattle though. I remember the times when the traffic was bearable, and it was still somewhat undiscovered. I remember some hotel type long term places existed in various places downtown, and they were cheap and put you right in the heart of Seattle. And you could pay monthly, and the buses were free to ride downtown, there were even decent dance clubs, and bars and places to relax at and have fun. They are mostly gone now ( The China Clipper, Petosa's, etc...and Pioneer Square nightlife was booming then). I remember when grunge rock was popular here, and the music scene was on fire. Downtown was much safer and fun, and not as wild and dangerous as it is now, and full of thugs.

Seattle was a magical, and unique place back then. Then the Californians came......and everyone else. Just kidding, but to be frank, I am not nuts about the change in Seattle over the years. Guess the whole country is going this way though. Have to accept it though.

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 10-06-2015 at 09:49 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 09:48 PM

1,314 posts, read 2,054,720 times
Anything is going to look amazing next to that wreck of a city San Francisco. (No offense!) But Seattle is really amazing in its own right. You know that meme about nobody having time for all that? It doesn't apply to all the people who complain about this place all day (with two 15-minute breaks per shift). They actually seem to have time for all that.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:55 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,187,379 times
I never been too San Fran, but I would think the two cities are similar in lots of ways. San Fran just being more expensive. Or if anything, Seattle is becoming a lot like San Fran maybe? I wonder how they are different.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,256,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I never been too San Fran, but I would think the two cities are similar in lots of ways. San Fran just being more expensive. Or if anything, Seattle is becoming a lot like San Fran maybe? I wonder how they are different.
They feel very different to me. Seattle is very white, while San Francisco is really diverse. Seattle has the cloudy season and the sunny season, while San Francisco has the cold and sunny season and the sunny and cold season. San Francisco people and warm and ride at the same time, while Seattle people are polite and cold at the same time.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:08 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,901,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destroycreate View Post
You also don't see many thugs and unstable, aggressive homeless people here
During my last three visits to Seattle, whenever I walked from Belltown through to Pioneer Square, I saw lots of homeless men, and they were very aggressive indeed. Far more aggressive than the many homeless I've seen in New York City or Los Angeles.

No, I'm not being "negative" or a "hater." I don't hate Seattle. Just reporting the facts the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area