Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:16 PM

127 posts, read 165,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Read his first posts from five years ago.
There's a few troll-like folks in this thread, and his posts are straight from Trolltown, USA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSpencer View Post
There's a few troll-like folks in this thread, and his posts are straight from Trolltown, USA
I've read a few more since and wow.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:39 PM

446 posts, read 709,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Since I have moved to Seattle in July I haven't met one person. At work no one wants to really be friends outside of work. All of my friends in California are very upset with me that I moved to Seattle that they no longer want to associate with me. I lost my girlfriend from California because I moved away to Seattle.

Over the past month I have been on two dates from woman I met online. After the dates were over the woman ignored my texts and phone calls.

Two months ago I joined a group for Jewish people in their 20s and 30s in Seattle. At the jewish events no one has exchanged phone numbers or wants to be friends outside of the events.

Is this the Seattle freeze?

I'm a 34 year old white single male.
GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN. NOW. DO NOT WAIT.

Yes, you've described what Seattle is like for straight white men perfectly. You can be there for twenty years and it will never get better. This is the voice of experience talking.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:44 PM

9,000 posts, read 10,177,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
Another interesting and odd trait of the hyper intelligent, and lets face it we have buckets full moving in every month, is that they have an extremely high opinion of themselves (regardless of their looks). They can be very exclusionary in that fact that they don't enjoy dealing with people that are not on the same intellectual level that they are on. So they really paint themselves into a corner whether they realize it or not.

This describes many a male programmer here in Seattle. Instead of finding a girlfriend, they'll go out and buy a fast motorcycle to get their thrills. They form bonds well with other programmers but that's about it. These guys are usually either MGTOW (Men go their own way) or seriously considering it.
This is pretty accurate, even where I'm at.......
But come on Seattle cannot be that bad for men......
Can it?

Oh btw- great status line

Old 10-16-2015, 08:08 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,912,451 times
Wishing I were in Seattle right now to enjoy this freeze of which you people speak. Still hot as blazes in Houston.

Old 10-17-2015, 01:35 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS35a View Post
GET THE HELL OUT OF TOWN. NOW. DO NOT WAIT.

Yes, you've described what Seattle is like for straight white men perfectly. You can be there for twenty years and it will never get better. This is the voice of experience talking.
Things are getting better for me.

I met some people at Molly Moons ice cream in Walingford.

I also met some people at a meditation.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:00 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,925,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Shalom.. Upper 30s Jewish male.. I generally cannot make any Jewish friends here because I am right-wing and many Jews in the area are rigorously left-wing and think any Jew who doesn't vote or think as they do are not worthy of being called "Jews". I have attended some religious communities here, but I generally am not shomer or "religious" enough to be accepted there either. At most, I do get a lot of nice Shabbat meals, but I never make the grade to be "one of them". I wouldn't even be invited to a more reformed or secular Jew's household here in Seattle or most anywhere on the Left Coast, I mean West Coast.

Anyhow, if you don't mind a more right-wing oriented guy, I am always happy to meet a fellow Jew in the area, who can accept my differentiating political views on many of the mainstream issues that more secular Jews support. I'm a pretty accepting and open-minded person and have made friends from a variety of backgrounds, religions, socio-economic statuses. Being open-minded and putting your ego in check can be hard in a place like Seattle, where it seems where everyone is competing to get the upper hand on one another rather than try bond and help build each other up, as where I grew up in Oregon.

And, I do agree the Seattle Freeze is real, but I also believe that people in Seattle don't just go out and about meeting people. You have to join some movement, cause, clique or something with meaning to truly have a friend here.
I would be glad to meet you.

Old 10-17-2015, 07:42 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,588 times
If you think Seattle is bad, you should try living in PA sometime.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:31 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,162,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
If you think Seattle is bad, you should try living in PA sometime.
Who knows. Maybe folks are similar wherever you go these days ie heads down clutching their little "life computers" in their hands. Why would a person talk to another person if they aren't one of their Facebook friends? How creepy!

Instead, they rush home to live out their virtual lives on the latest version of the Sims....

How sad.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM

15 posts, read 20,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I am yet to hear of a Chicago Freeze.

See what I did there?
As someone from Chicago, Chicago freeze is when a 20 degree day is a warm day.

I will have to agree with another poster who mentioned the difficulty of making new friends when not young (under 25). Once the "hey lets get drunk!" loses its appeal, you don't have a family to occupy all your time, and you most likely work your ass off for a living...and everything expensive and a total pain to do (speaking of Chicago here)...well you get the point.

By the way, I literally thought Seattle freeze was when it did that eternal drizzle in the winter and everything freezes over due to low temps.

I'm going to be a transplant. In Chicago if you are alone you might as well be invisible...in a bar, anywhere. Granted a few hippy/emo/artsy demographics might be into that and see it as approachable.

I'm actually quite relieved to see that I can, on my own, go out to dinner, watch a movie, go to a bar...whatever...and not feel like I'm out of place. Part of it is I wont care and chances of running into someone I knew from the past runs into me and does the typical "so who you here with?" which is like the first question youll get asked being alone in a social place when starting up a convo.

Maybe I don't "get it" though. Ive gotten the impression that a lot of people go out and do stuff like a loner and that's ok in this area. Its certainly something suspicious and strange to be that guy where I'm from. In Chicago (unless from some obscure social demographic) if you were to move here, you will be required to hang out with co workers then try to spread like social cancer if you actually want to go out and do stuff. unless your in wriglyville talking sports and ****faced, you might get invited to a house party...but I'm sure drunk party animals are like that everywhere and I'm not into that in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area