U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 12:35 PM

6,635 posts, read 5,058,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinginSeattle View Post
Yeah, South has better prices, but he's also looking for good schools.
Mid- to South Beacon Hill (including New Holly) does have high scoring schools, if you're in an area with Maple ES (9), Mercer MS (9), and Franklin HS (7) as the assigned schools. Too far south and you'll be assigned to Van Asselt ES (4) and Rainier Beach HS (4), however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 02:44 PM

486 posts, read 639,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaxs View Post
Maple Valley is fantastic! I actually love the community feel there and the schools are indeed great. It is just a little toooo far out for me to commute to downtown Seattle every day. It only adds probably 15-20 minutes from Renton but thats enough extra for me to not buy their personally. But it really is a nice place.
I worked in Downtown Seattle as well. It does get to be a drag after awhile, but I just drove to Kent and took the Sounder to King Street and then took the light rail to my office.

It wasn't a bad commute just took time but at least I didn't drive that much.

Old 10-23-2015, 02:48 PM

486 posts, read 639,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatjens View Post
Thank you all for your comments. We like to think we are very open minded! Good schools are important but a low crime rate is just as important. We are a family of six with my baby granddaughter, my daughter, my son and his girlfriend, my mother, and my husband!! So with so many people to look after safety is important!!! I am looking into Maple Valley as it seems as though the schools are good and the house prices are reasonable. Would this be an impossible commute? Does anyone doe this everyday!!! Thank you all again.
I drove the 11 miles from my house to the Kent Sounder Station and took the 20 minute train to Downtown Seattle for 4+ years. It is time consuming, but easy! Not much traffic from Maple Valley to Kent down 240th Street and the train was simple and easy.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 AM

23 posts, read 15,061 times
Is Puyallup a safe area for families? Thanks

Old 10-26-2015, 11:26 AM

26 posts, read 100,965 times
Default Auburn

Hi Tatjens, welcome! I was in the same situation (well, almost) 1 1/2 year ago, and made the move to South King county (Auburn, Lea Hill area).

I moved from RR, and the housing price was a definite sticker shock!

We were looking for a 3br/2bath min, with some semblance of a yard. School district was not a priority for us, since we have no kids, only 2 dogs (1 now). We looked at anywhere from Bothell, Lynnwood, Mountlake Terrace, Seattle (High Point), Renton, Kent, Auburn. We ended up in Auburn in a new development near Auburn Mt View High School. The Kent ISD is not the best, the ones on the east side (Bellevue, Redmond, Issaquah area) are better, but the schools near Lea Hill (Auburn Mt View High for example) are good. the Lea Hill area itself, there are some areas that are better than others. Anecdotally, I heard that the area near Green River CC are not that great, crime rate wise, the ones closer to the high school is better. We also got some semblance of a yard in our subdivision, which is a plus for the dogs.

Lakeland Hills is a bit farther away to the South, closer to Sumner. It's nice. Maple Valley is a bit to the East, and also nice. The concerns about those are the commute, like all other board members have called out.

From where we live, I take Sounder every day from Kent Station to downtown Seattle, then either take any bus/train from the tunnel to Westlake station, or take the company shuttle to the office. Kent Station (like most Sounder station) has a garage, but the garage will be full on Mon-Thu by 7am. There is a park n ride lot 1/2 a mile away, so you can park there, then take a short bus ride to the station. On Friday, the garages are wide open until about 8-815-ish am. I repeated the trip on the way back in reverse. Just keep in mind that the last Sounder leaves King Street at 620pm. Missing that, then your commute back gets a lot longer!

Also, if you end up boarding the Sounder at Kent, expect to spend 15 min in Kent alone, since everyone seems want to go home at the same time!

I do love it though. No more driving, only from the house to the garage. No more stress while driving, and it's consistent day-in, day-out.

If you end up in Sumner or further down, you have to get to the respective station much earlier. There's a new development that we really like in Bonney Lake called Cascadia. We are considering buying there, price is nice, homes are really nice, infrastructure is second to none, and the view and surroundings are super nice. The developer is the same one that develops Teravista and Falcon Pointe in Austin area. But only 1 access in and out, and we have to get to Sumner for the train. So we are postponing that decision and stay at our current place.

PM me if you would like to chat further. Will be happy to help out Austin transplants!

Word of warning: I only found 1 decent BBQ joint here in the area (Campfire) that resembles Central TX BBQ. We missed that a lot!

Old 10-26-2015, 02:38 PM

23 posts, read 15,061 times
Thank you for this! I will miss Franklins here!!

Old 10-26-2015, 04:47 PM
fnh

2,152 posts, read 2,786,495 times
Former Austinite here who now lives in both Seattle and Houston. This appeared in the Houston newspaper recently and I plan to try this place when I'm in Seattle next month:

Texas ex-pat says Seattle's fresh air aids barbecue perfection - Houston Chronicle

Old 10-26-2015, 05:29 PM

26 posts, read 100,965 times
I tried Jack's, he's on par, slightly better than Rudy's. He's trying to emulate Franklins. It's not bad, maybe a tad below the Lockhart trio (Smitty's, Kreutz, Black's).

Campfire is more like Louie Mueller's in Taylor. Not at Louie Mueller's level, but close. I rate them as good as the Lockhart trio, but not up to LM.

Franklin, I am torn about it. One time, we ordered by email, we were disappointed since the meat was so bad. When I have co-workers bringing some over here about a month ago, it was good, almost as good as LM.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:09 AM

739 posts, read 2,752,755 times
I tried Hole in the Wall BBQ in Pioneer Square. Nice people, but just okay food. My friends asked me what I thought and I told them it would be considered mediocre in Texas.

Thats why I make my own. I brought my smoker with me when I left Pflugerville for Seattle

Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 AM

718 posts, read 293,970 times
I think the Lakeland Hills area in SE Auburn is really nice. I'm having a home built in that area after I've studied the area for several months before locking into that location for the next 5-10 years. Schools seem to be better than the ones in the central areas of Auburn, but I didn't look too hard at them since my kids are now adults.

I like this area since its next to Lake Tapps and pretty much off the beaten trail at this point and very quit and green. It's not too far from Seattle, but for me, I basically hover towards the southend of Seattle anyway and only travel downtown and to the north a couple times a week to look for vinyl records, CDs and DVDs.

I'm originally from Seattle, but due to the politics, congestion and the cost of housing, I drifted south after retiring and moving back into the State.

Good luck in your search!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or