Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 06:24 AM

42 posts, read 53,905 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job opportunity in Burien. He'd probably need to be within about a 20 min drive. I've been reading a bit online, but am struggling to come up with a place with good elementary/middle schools and a really family type neighbourhood ie kids playing out on the street together, actually knowing your neighbours well etc. No compromise on safety whatsoever. I would also love to be within an easy drive of downtown for fine arts activities for myself for nights/weekends as well. Is this possible?!

My only experience of Seattle was staying there 10 years ago for a week in July for a choral camp. My husband left the area about 15 years ago after living nearer to the Tacoma end of town for several years. He loves the whole Puget Sound area.

We would rent initially for sure and wouldn't need a high school for at least 5 years. At some point in the future I might look at music teaching jobs for myself but for now I stay home with the kids.

Any ideas of areas to look?? Thanks heaps in advance!

PS Once you're attending a school, if you then move houses within the same school district, can you stay at the original school, or must you change schools every time you change houses??

Last edited by anninkc; 10-29-2015 at 06:45 AM.. Reason: Additional question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:16 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,662,779 times
So it sounds like you'd want to stay sorta south... but you didn't mention budget and, well, that's a big deal here.

-"Good schools" often translates to economics and the "good schools" can be found in Mercer Island, Bellevue, Sammamish, Issaquah, East Renton Highlands, Maple Valley (Tahoma school district). Maybe Auburn has it's finer areas (hopefully Ira will respond, he'd know..). I really like my community... Issaquah Highlands. I'm a huge introvert that hates to socialize, but I know a ton of people here. We have a monthly newsletter and it's really awesome that I know (or know of) over half the people it features in any given month. We strong community programming and many pockets have their own traditions (Easter egg hunts, block parties, cookie exchanges). Everyone knows it's a bubble up here.. and we're okay with that.

-The issue with all those communities is that they're all probably more or less 20 miles from Seattle (I exit at mile marker 18 to get to my Issaquah home) , but traffic is a beast. Technically they're all an easy drive downtown, but it might be bumper to bumper.

-At least in the districts I've been in, if you move houses you move schools. We had some boundaries moved in my neighborhood a few years ago and I don't believe they made a single exception. It was hard for my kids.. they "lost" some good friends.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:48 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,882,117 times
To live within 20 minutes of a job in Burien, you probably have to live in Burien. And an "easy drive of downtown" really doesn't exist much anymore, unless you're going on an early Sunday morning.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:27 AM

8,168 posts, read 8,287,553 times
Take a look at West Seattle, neat place full of character, great neighborhoods and cultural activities. You can head south from here to Burien without getting on the freeway.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:35 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
I agree with West Seattle. Also Normandy Park. Fantastic elementary school(Marvista), and a very good middle school (Sylvester).

Old 10-29-2015, 03:09 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,877,453 times
Normandy Park is nice but Burien isn't bad, plenty of good neighborhoods.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 PM

42 posts, read 53,905 times
Thanks all. Right after I posted I actually realised West Seattle might be an easy fix, at least for a couple of years of renting before we buy a home. I was also wondering about the eastern or northern Renton/highland or southern Newcastle areas. If my husband is travelling before 7am and after 6pm across to Burien maybe these could work??? He will probably be having long days some days of the week.

The outer eastern and northern family suburbs sound just like the sort of place we'd like to live - just not optimal to cross town though for the hubby. Plus I guess at least with the West Seattle area it would be the closest to downtown for me if I'm waiting for my husband to get home from work and want to attempt to get into town on a weeknight sometimes.

Regarding budget, once we're buying it should be fine. Whatever the rental prices are we can probably deal with it.

Old 10-29-2015, 04:39 PM

Look in Newport Hills, that puts you in the excellent Bellevue schools but south of I-90. With proper planning, hubby's commute would be manageable and you would be within striking distance of all that makes Seattle great culturally. By the way, there is a world class visiting Impressionist exhibit at Seattle Art Museum right now Intimate Impressionism - SAM - Seattle Art Museum.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:19 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,328,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anninkc View Post
Thanks all. Right after I posted I actually realised West Seattle might be an easy fix, at least for a couple of years of renting before we buy a home. I was also wondering about the eastern or northern Renton/highland or southern Newcastle areas. If my husband is travelling before 7am and after 6pm across to Burien maybe these could work??? He will probably be having long days some days of the week.

The outer eastern and northern family suburbs sound just like the sort of place we'd like to live - just not optimal to cross town though for the hubby. Plus I guess at least with the West Seattle area it would be the closest to downtown for me if I'm waiting for my husband to get home from work and want to attempt to get into town on a weeknight sometimes.

Regarding budget, once we're buying it should be fine. Whatever the rental prices are we can probably deal with it.
Northern Renton, like the Kennydale neighborhood, or the eastern Renton Highlands or Southern Newcastle , you won't be in much traffic, but it'll be impossible to get to Burien in 20 minutes. More like 30-35 minutes.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:30 PM

I still think the Lincoln Park part of West Seattle would fit many of your needs and that you would love it. Besides being in a great area, close to Seattle culture, commutable to Burien via back (non-freeway) roads, it has the added benefit of being near the Fauntleroy Ferry to Vashon Island or Port Orchard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area