Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2015, 01:28 PM

12 posts, read 23,369 times

Advertisements

Contemplating a move and really just trying to get a handle on what areas within the city are livable.

In theory, we want a walkable neighborhood that is great for kids, too. Parks. Restaurants. Local shops. Farmers' markets. Relatively close to a Catholic church and school.

Our housing budget tops out around $630,000. I've seen some homes in West Seattle neighborhoods like Delridge and Riverview that fit our budget, but then on older threads here from around 2009, I've read some things about those areas that make them seem less appealing.

Any thoughts? Suggestions on neighborhoods? My only issue is that I do not want a fixer-upper (been there, done that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 02:32 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,245,270 times
It's not like Delridge and Riverview are dangerous ghettos, but you can find houses that fit your budget in nicer West seattle neighborhoods. Like the Admiral District, the Alaska Junction, and Fauntleroy. The Admiral District and the Junction are particularly walkable. The Junction has a good farmer's market. Fauntleroy has Lincoln Park, one of Seattle's nicest. Holy Rosary is very close to the Junction.
My only other suggestion is to not rule out an older home. Many of them have been very nicely fixed up, and they constitute most of the houses in the nicer West Seattle neighborhoods

Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM

12 posts, read 23,369 times
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually love older homes and one of the ones that caught my eye was a 1920s home that had been renovated which is fine. I just know we don't have the money or knowledge to tackle a renovation of our home. It was enough to keep up with the work of the 1980s home we live in now and try updating things as we went along.

Of course, a lot of the updated older homes in other areas that are large enough for our family (and menagerie of pets) are way out of our price range. I think I saw a 3/2 in Ballard or maybe it was Queen Anne for over $1M. I can't even get my head around how that is possible coming from a city where you could get a mansion in the nicest neighborhood on 1.5 acres for that.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 PM

8,156 posts, read 8,211,958 times
I'm a southernexpat too, Miami boy who has lived in Seattle 26 years. You sound like you like groovy, connected, slightly unique places. West Seattle is very much a favorite of my clients. Stay as far north and west as you can, your budget will support it and it is just lovely. If you really want walkability, anything near California Ave SW is hard to beat. The area around the Fauntleroy ferry and Lincoln Park are very nice too. Holy Rosary Catholic Church is closeby: http://holyrosaryseattle.org/

Last edited by homesinseattle; 10-29-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 03:51 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,138,195 times
I agree with the other posters. Lincoln Park area would be perfect for you guys. Close by would be Gatewood Hill and Arbor Heights. Admiral District will be the most expensive but you may be able to find something for 630K.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: