U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM

22 posts, read 64,358 times

Advertisements

I live in S. Everett which is right in the middle of the infamous convergence zone. I feel like we get the brunt of the dark, dismal weather the Puget Sound has to offer. Please recommend somewhere in Western Washington that is sunnier and drier than where I live now. I'm wondering if things will be sunnier/drier in Olympia or possibly Issaquah. No offense, but I don't want to live anywhere on the I-5 corridor from Renton to Tacoma.

I just got back from 10 days in Mexico and realized I can't take these winters anymore. Seriously, I'm going to kill myself if I have to live here another 10 years (I've lived in WA for a total of 34 years, in different areas). The San Juan islands offer the best climate, by the way, but I can't figure out how to make a living there. I work in corporate training.

I'm seriously contemplating a move out of state, but want to consider in-state first since it is so expensive and difficult to relocate long distances. Also, I want an area with reasonable housing prices. By reasonable, I mean you can get new construction, 2500 sq ft, 4 bedroom house for under $450K.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 02:46 AM

4,579 posts, read 8,439,397 times
Are you married and do you have kids? Also what made you move to Everett?

Old 02-01-2008, 08:47 AM

14 posts, read 52,512 times
While I can appreciate your frustration even in our current real estate market the median price of a home in King County is $429,000.00. This will typically get you an 1800 sq/ft home on a postage stamp. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:58 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,562,623 times
No suggestions about other places in Washington since I just moved here, but you have my empathy with the "convergence zone". Maybe I *should* have looked into it more before I moved, but I certainly wasn't expecting to live in the place that's just the repository of crap weather in the area. Best of luck finding someplace else.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:10 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,661,130 times
Olympia is definitely not drier nor is Issaquah "that" much drier. Remember, Olympia is on record of having the most rainy days in the country.

You obviously want to be in the rain shadow if you want a drier place in western Washington. It runs from Anacortes through the San Juans and over to the northern part of the Olympic Peninsula where Sequim is located. I posted a map on one thread. I'll see if I can find it.

Otherwise, move to the other side of the mountains, or like me, to the desert southwest.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:32 PM

3,612 posts, read 6,992,866 times
Vancouver?

Old 02-01-2008, 12:39 PM

22 posts, read 64,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Are you married and do you have kids? Also what made you move to Everett?
I moved to Everett because it was the furthest out I was willing to commute to downtown Seattle with the cheapest home prices. We bought in 2002 and paid $190K for a 2100 sq ft townhome. I know, lucky! I have a lot of appreciation and shouldn't complain about housing prices since I'm sitting on all this equity. The thing about equity, though, is that unless you want a higher monthly mortgage, you can really only afford to buy what your current home is worth. My home is now worth $320K. I'm willing to pay a little more monthly, so I estimate I can afford up to $450K for a new home.

I'm married and no kids yet. My job has changed and I now work close to Lynnwood so the commute is much better, @ 20 minutes. You're probably thinking, what does she have to complain about?!! Good commute, nice equity, large house (compared to many, I'm sure). If you can't enjoy your life, though, because you're depressed 295 days out of the year, it's just not worth it. I'm not going to go into great detail about SAD or my personal history of depression, but I just want to say the lack of sunshine has really had an effect in lowering the quality of my life and I need to make a change soon. I would rather make a small change than a big change. I have family in WA so I'd prefer to stay here, but if I have to move out of state to save my sanity, I will.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM

3,612 posts, read 6,992,866 times
You're not really going to find a sunny, dry part of Western Washington. There are still plenty of cloudy days in the rain shadow.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:06 PM

121 posts, read 356,654 times
As someone who has lived in this area my whole life, and has lived several places between Chehalis and Burlington, I really don't think you are going to find any appreciable difference in "gloominess" anywhere in Western Washington. If you are unhappy with the weather in Everett to the point where it is negatively effecting your health, moving to Issaquah isn't going to help. As somone in a very similar situation...I feel for you.

One idea, I've been spending a lot of time recently in Eastern Washington (Moses Lake/Wenatchee), and I'll say that although they have their own issues, the sunshine over there is a heck of a lot nicer than here!

Good luck!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:15 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,661,130 times
Neither is moving to Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area