Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 03:20 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
There is a big difference between the homeless in the Seattle alleys and under the freeway and those in the tent city that moves around the eastside. The latter are people with jobs that are trying to save enough for 1st/last month rent
and there are strict rules about drug use and hygiene. They have been in Sammamish, Issaquah Redmond and Kirkland, mostly on church properties with very few (minor) issues. The last I heard they were off I90 between Preston and Issaquah near the Highpoint Trail Head.
I didn't know this. What sort of work do most of them do and how to they get to their jobs? Do they have transportation or are they usually camped near bus stations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 04:18 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
The state of Washington declared a "state emergency" to build the Seahawks stadium.

I think the "homeless" deserve no less. At least we are helping poor people instead of the second richest man in the world at the time.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:42 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
The state of Washington declared a "state emergency" to build the Seahawks stadium.

Strange how when you change the sport to NBA basketball it turns to "Well, I don't know. Please pass the dorito's, John." Chris Hansen is going to get a new stadium and bring the Sonic's back to Seattle, it's not if, it's when. But I can't believe all the mashing of fluff and chump the whole affair is to Seattleites.

It's like we've really got something with the Mariner's. Or something.

"No, make it pretzels, Margie."

Old 11-06-2015, 07:22 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,579 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I didn't know this. What sort of work do most of them do and how to they get to their jobs? Do they have transportation or are they usually camped near bus stations?
That's how I am aware of it, I take the bus from Seattle to Issaquah Transit center, then from there to South Sammamish Park & ride and met some of them. Some were in construction, laid off during the recession, now working on some of the big projects in downtown Seattle. The camps have always been near a bus stop, not a station. For example, when they were at the Catholic church next to Sammamish city hall, the early/late 554 and the 269 commuter buses have a stop right in front.

Old 11-07-2015, 07:21 PM

214 posts, read 649,813 times
Probably sounds horrible but with the exception of a select few I could care less about helping the homeless. "You are currently sleeping in the bed you made" as my mother used to say. These people are not homeless because they are hard working pillars of society that had a bad day. These are people who have consistently made wrong/poor choices so often and for so long that their family's, peers and past employers are letting them be homeless rather than give them any more help. If they wanted to not be homeless that bad I honestly believe they could figure it out with out a "billionaire" throwing cash at them.

With that said I know there are mentally disabled people, people running away/hiding from violent situations etc. that do not fall into the category above and I feel bad for those people who actually have a reason out of their control they are out there but I have a strong feeling they are the exception and not the rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area