Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 12:35 PM

1 posts, read 949 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm considering an upcoming move to Seattle and would love to know your reccos for what neighborhoods I should check out to live in. Here's what you need to know:

-I've lived in NYC for over 10 years in a variety of neighborhoods, but my favorite are Upper West Side and West Village. I know Seattle is nothing like NYC but that should give you some frame of reference!

- I have a dog and two cats. My dog is young and active and a genuine goofball, so I'd love to be near to an off-leash dog park or somewhere he can run around.

- I'll be working in SoDo.

- My budget is up to $2200/mo but I would prefer under $2k if I can.

- I have a car and am happy to drive but want my neighborhood to be somewhere I can go out and have fun in. I'm more of a trendy bar type to a clubbing type. I'm also a huge foodie

Would love your opinions! I'll be heading out there next week so would love to check out some neighborhoods while I'm in town. Right now based on my own research, my top 4 are (in no particular order): Fremont, Ballard, Cap Hill, and Queen Anne but let me know if I'm on the right/wrong track...and why!

PS: If there are any specific apartment buildings you would recommend checking out, I'd love to hear that too. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 02:40 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
My wife is from Upper East Side. You are on the right track with neighborhoods, stay lower Queen Anne, upper is not as vibrant. The foodie scene in Capitol Hill and Ballard is fabulous right now, being written up nationally (think local, organic, inspired, farm to table, creative, complex). The Pike/Pine area of Capitol Hill feels the most "NYC" to my wife, we go there when we need a dose.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 11-10-2015 at 04:06 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 03:26 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,783,390 times
Also check out West Seattle. Very cool vibe, a great place for an active dog, and a decent commute for you. Also, a teeny bit more reasonable than much of the Seattle due to the crappy commute to many parts of town. The area area around Alki is of course, the most expensive, but also the most to do.

Otherwise your list sounds great. If you go with Cap Hill, I'd just recommend sticking to the north part of it (north of Olive/John/Thomas, but south of Aloha) - that part of the hill is a little quieter but still very walkable to stores and nightlife while being close to Volunteer Park and a neighborhood full of gorgeous old houses to go walking in. If you live close to the 47 - it will practically take you to from your door to work.

Personally I like Upper QA better - it feels like this island of charm in the middle of the city. Yes, you'll probably going elsewhere to go out many nights, but there's enough good local spots to make you happy to stay in as well. It's an easy bus ride or Uber to DT, Cap Hill, or a short brisk walk down to Lower QA. There's an informal 'loop' at the top - starting with Kerry Park on Highland Drive, that is my favorite spot to go walking. The views are the stuff of postcards.

While Ballard and Fremont are neat, I'd probably look there last just because they're just far enough to make the commute painful more days than you'd like.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:23 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,880,685 times
If keeping the commute simple is a priority I'd suggest looking towards W. Seattle to, along the Alki beach area. Also Beacon Hill as an option too, close proximity from Downtown, Georgetown, and W. Seattle.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:24 PM

Irb, you'll like this: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/23/tr...ttle.html?_r=0

Old 11-10-2015, 05:33 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,365,584 times
I'd second Lower Queen Anne (Uptown). Seattle Center, Kinnear Park (which has an off-leash area), and Myrtle Edwards/Elliott Bay Park are great for walks. Tons of stuff happening at the Center year-round. Lots of bars, espresso shops, and restaurants. Three grocery stores. Seattle International Film Festival operates the Uptown Theater, showing independent/international films. Much safer to walk around at night than closer to Downtown (Belltown). About 15-20 minutes to Downtown on the bus, maybe 30 minutes to SoDo.

I lived in Lower Queen Anne for over eight years - enjoyed it very much.

For off-leash areas ("bark parks"), see:

Seattle Parks and Recreation: Off-Leash Areas

I agree that, while Ballard and Fremont are very cool (I live in Ballard), commuting through Downtown to SoDo can take awhile. For an alternative, look at Georgetown, which is an artists' enclave south of SoDo.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:29 AM

714 posts, read 747,446 times
When I lived in West Seattle, I always thought it'd be a great place to own a dog. Great place in general.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 AM

1,630 posts, read 3,883,864 times
I'd also throw Columbia City in the mix ... not as big as Capitol Hill/Ballard which I think is a good thing. Close to the lake, dog park nearby, very walkable. Plus a simple commute to Sodo -

Old 11-11-2015, 10:19 AM

Yeah, Tobester, I thought of that but the "trendy club" comment combined with "foodie" convinced me. Irb, Q nightclub in the Pike/Pine area has great DJs, warehousey NYC/Miami feel. The food in that area is just splendid too.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Her

298 posts, read 868,787 times
Fremont Fremont Fremont. I just did a reverse move from Seattle to the east coast. I lived in both Ballard and Fremont before my move. I loved them both, but especially loved living in Fremont because I could walk to the main drag, and to Burke Gilman Trail and Gasworks Park. On your budget you can afford pretty much anything in any of the areas. I do prefer Lower Queen Anne to upper if you decide to go that route.

Really, I love all the neighborhoods you listed, so it's just a matter of what feels like home to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area