U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2008, 04:41 PM

957 posts, read 2,390,182 times
Again, thank you all for your wonderful posts. In regards to the a/c units, if the summers are that beautiful, I am sure I could do without as longs as I had some sort of ceiling fan. I always need air circulating even in the winters. As far as the amenities are concerned, I'm with you allforcats. I did a search on ForRent.com and quite a few had some of them at least.

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine I graduated with and was in Seattle this past Nov. visiting another friends from school who now lives there. She could not stop raving about Seattle. She said it was an amazing and beautiful city to live in, and coming from SA also, she loves the complete opposite weather. Believe it or not, there is such a thing as too much sunshine.

She also said that during the 2 weeks she was there, there were only a few cloudy days and the rest were partly sunny. Is that irregular for the fall?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 04:44 PM

3,874 posts, read 11,324,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingtoLeave View Post
She also said that during the 2 weeks she was there, there were only a few cloudy days and the rest were partly sunny. Is that irregular for the fall?
Nope. It's pretty normal. The Weather Goddess does as She pleases and we just enjoy.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Nope. It's pretty normal. The Weather Goddess does as She pleases and we just enjoy.
LOL-I Love it! I figure it can't be all that horrible if there are 3+ million residents there in spite of the weather. There must be many wonderful things there that keep its residents in Seattle.

Old 02-04-2008, 05:45 PM

Quote:
LOL-I Love it! I figure it can't be all that horrible if there are 3+ million residents there in spite of the weather. There must be many wonderful things there that keep its residents in Seattle.
TA-DA!!! LOOKING WOMAN SPEAK GREAT WISDOM!!!

Old 02-04-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
TA-DA!!! LOOKING WOMAN SPEAK GREAT WISDOM!!!
Right back atcha! I have also convinced my mother to come visit Seattle with me this summer after graduation. Yeah! If I love it, that's step one.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:09 AM

10 posts, read 32,765 times
don't base your commitment on Seattle summers...they are great...that's a given...I ride a motorcycle so I'm very in tune with the weather. I can ride from about the end of March to mid-November without too many issues...good chances of rain and at least gloominess until the end of May and starting again in October. You've got around 5 good months and the rest is stereotypical rainy and gloomy...if you don't think it's gloomy then you need to get a dictionary and read the definition...you'll find a lot of fanboys on these boards so you need to come when the weather is good and when it's crummy to see if it's worth it...I've lived in coastal western WA so it's even worse there...if you think the beaches will be like San Diego don't listen to the hype...I grew up 20min from Ocean Shores...windy and 70 is considered a good day. Culture wise think wannabe mini San Francisco...if you are into outdoorsy things then it's a good area for the most part just bring rain gear in case...the rain forest areas are worse than Seattle as are the coastal areas for rain and clouds.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM

I am about 95% sure I'm coming for a couple of weeks during the summer, but that's about it as far as a visit goes. I'd love to come for the fall too, but since I graduate soon, I really need to decide on a new city or I'll just wind up staying in SA for another year or two-which is pretty much out of the question. Plus I don't want to start a new job in my hometown and then up and leave 6 months later. I do love SD, but it's just so expensive that starting right out of college-even with my Master's degree, I don't think I could afford it, but you never know.

I'm not going to lie, I don't know if or how I'll adapt to the weather. It's cloudy and drizzly outside right now here and I love it, but that's because yesterday it was 85, which is insane for Feb! Many people love it and don't mind, but I won't know if I'm one of the unless I actually try.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 2,655,763 times
I live in the international district to answer your question. No we have no ammenities and yes it does cost $1,450 a month. It is a nice place though. If you want a decent sized apartment that is big, in a good neighborhood(gated garaged parking etc.), and NEW with ammenties in Seattle, its gonna cost ya big $$. Lookingtoleave where do you live? yea our metro is around 3.5 million or so. It is a nice place and i love it here, but the winters can get me kinda depressed(being from a sunny place originally). And i definatly can't stand not having a/c. We pay $50 bucks a month for a standing ac. I'm from the south i grew up with air conditioning and cannot live without it. I know many people here that are originally from here, and cannot stand being at home in the summer because they have no AC. They will literally drive around or just stay out until late at night even if they have nothing to do because they get so hot and cannot go to sleep. Not everyone feels comfortable leaving all their windows open, and that does not always help. Fans are definatly no replacement for A.C.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I live in the international district to answer your question. No we have no ammenities and yes it does cost $1,450 a month. It is a nice place though. If you want a decent sized apartment that is big, in a good neighborhood(gated garaged parking etc.), and NEW with ammenties in Seattle, its gonna cost ya big $$. Lookingtoleave where do you live? yea our metro is around 3.5 million or so. It is a nice place and i love it here, but the winters can get me kinda depressed(being from a sunny place originally). And i definatly can't stand not having a/c. We pay $50 bucks a month for a standing ac. I'm from the south i grew up with air conditioning and cannot live without it. I know many people here that are originally from here, and cannot stand being at home in the summer because they have no AC. They will literally drive around or just stay out until late at night even if they have nothing to do because they get so hot and cannot go to sleep. Not everyone feels comfortable leaving all their windows open, and that does not always help. Fans are definatly no replacement for A.C.
I live in S. Texas-San Antonio to be exact. I'm just ready for something that's the exact opposite of what is here, which is unbearable summers and even some of our winters are pretty hot too. I actually was sweating on my way to class today. Another alumni from here moved up there a year or two ago felt the same exact way when she moved and she now loves it. It really just stinks when you can't do a lot of outdoor activities in the summer for more than 30 minutes w/o heat exhaustion-and I'm a fit, healthy person.

I'm not exactly sure which areas are the best, safest, or even have the best schools for kids. So when I did my ForRent.com search, I found quite a few that were around the $1000-1200 price range, but like I said, I don't know if they're questionable areas. Now when you say you're rent is $1450, I might as well look into San Diego or even boroughs of NYC. However if you're apt. is that much because of a garage and newer ammenities, then I would definitely think it's worth it. Do some of these new amenities include a/c?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
I am about 95% sure I'm coming for a couple of weeks during the summer.
Good for you! And good for your Mom that she'll come with you!! Taking a look is the very best way to get a taste of a place, right?

Looking, do you know TripAdvisor.com for researching and planning any trip? Brilliant site! TripAdvisor.com is a categorized collection of travel reviews from real travelers -- of cities, attractions, hotels, motels, B&Bs, restaurants, tours, malls, etc. Like City-Data, TripAdvisor is a "venue", a place where people can say what they've experienced with editorial control of only the crazy comments. SO HELPFUL!!!!!

MAN, LIFE IS SO EXCITING, ISN'T IT?!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area