Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 03:37 PM

278 posts, read 333,610 times

Advertisements

Why did Seattle lose the Sonics in the first place? To make matters worse, they headed to lowly OKC and to add insult to injury even changed their name. Gary Payton said he will not have his jersey retired there. Shawn Kemp was literally a monster back then when his life was in order.

There were talks of the Kings moving here, but they ended up staying in Sacramento as they were able to get a new arena built. Is there any chance that Seattle may get another basketball team in the future or this is a pipe dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 04:12 PM

8,163 posts, read 8,239,031 times
I used to sit at courtside during the Kemp and Payton glory days, had friends with extra tickets. It was amazing. here is the sad, sad story of "Sonicsgate"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKP4KBCzRCM.

Another team, I hope so. The demographics sure make sense.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:14 PM

8,062 posts, read 8,314,957 times
Not without a new arena. Once that happens, we'll probably get an NHL franchise first, although naming them the Totems probably won't be PC, unfortunately.

The primary reason the Sonics are gone is that Howard Schultz sold them down the river (Boycott Starbucks!). The other reason is that Barry Ackerley insisted that the Coliseum/KeyArena renovation in 1998 accommodate only the NBA, and not the NHL, so he and the Sonics could hog the revenues from private suites, with the City buying the snake oil that revenues would pay off the cost.

The longer the Sonics are gone, the less I care. The NBA has lost me as a fan, and will NEVER get me back. I'm a volleyball fan now. Go Dawgs! Beat Ohio State!

Shawn Kemp's life was never in order.

Old 12-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Agreed Donkey, but the "man child" could dunk and had some personality. Having the Sounders around cushions the blow for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORLraUwreEA

Old 12-10-2015, 04:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,443,557 times
A stadium in the Sodo area is being strongly discussed right now, led up by Chris Hansen. First NHL hockey, then NBA basketball. The NBA really doesn't like Seattle's politics, David Stern, former NBA Commissioner, and Adam Silver, current NBA Commissioner, don't seem ta care if we get another team or not. I would love for Seattle ta get an NBA team. I don't care about NBA ball much at all anymore. I don't even think it's all that hot that Golden State is 23-0. Big whoop.

Howard Schultz and Starbuck's both should be boycotted. That was a dirty deal. I did read that Howard Shultz was losing between $15 and $17 million a year on the Sonic's franchise. Wow. Not a good business case for hanging on to them, and, he's a New Yaaahhhwwwkkkka. What'd'ya expect?

Could be a long wait for a new NBA team, but the guy that is rich that doesn't mind working on this monstrosity is former Puget Sound resident Chris Hansen. His deal ta buy the Sacramento King's should have gone through, if you feel like torturing yourself and reading about it, you could dig up all of the sordid details on the internet. Somewhere.

Old 12-10-2015, 05:29 PM

This is interesting: How We Got to Street Vacation Vote: A SoDo Arena Chronology - Sonics Rising

Old 12-10-2015, 06:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,443,557 times
Thanks for that link, homes. After reading that I feel even better about Seattle getting an NBA franchise again. But getting NHL hockey is imperative to the whole plan working, so I have read. I don't totally get it except that it's additional insurance in getting an arena deal done. Oh, K.

Old 12-11-2015, 08:32 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Once that happens, we'll probably get an NHL franchise first
Funny how this happened. For the longest time, the stadium deal was contingent on getting an NBA team first and NHL second. The NHL has expressed constant interest in coming to Seattle despite our deal falling through during this last round of expansion evaluation over the summer. I heard some rumors that the most promising investor group actually withdrew their bid at the last minute upon hearing that the Phoenix Coyotes will probably move in the next few years. It's much cheaper to buy a team than to start an expansion team.

I'm no NBA fan, but if the NHL comes here I will be in line for season tickets.

Old 12-11-2015, 10:33 AM

If you want to feel the excitement of live NHL, just head up north of the border to see the Vancouver Canucks, amazing energy. I feel like the NHL would take off in Seattle, many Midwest, East Coast and even European people here now who love hockey. In certain ways, it is the very best sport to watch live.

Old 12-11-2015, 03:04 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,832,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
If you want to feel the excitement of live NHL, just head up north of the border to see the Vancouver Canucks, amazing energy. I feel like the NHL would take off in Seattle, many Midwest, East Coast and even European people here now who love hockey. In certain ways, it is the very best sport to watch live.
Have to agree with you there. I haven't been to a Canucks game but I did go to an Avs game last year and it was awesome. We only get the Avs on TV once in a blue moon so it's hard to keep my fandom up.

I like going to the Thunderbirds and Silvertips games too. Very exciting, but not quite the NHL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area