Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 12:37 AM

366 posts, read 596,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL. I didn't run into people smoking weed in the streets in the early 90's. It must have been centered on certain neighborhoods. Let me guess: Fremont, Cap Hill? Central District, maybe? A few pockets in the U Dist., maybe?
Maybe, I wasn't in Seattle during that time so I don't know. Now people smoke pot right in front of Westlake Station at rush hour. Really irritating, but enforcing the law is just too gauche for most Seattleites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 07:43 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubfan View Post
Maybe, I wasn't in Seattle during that time so I don't know. Now people smoke pot right in front of Westlake Station at rush hour. Really irritating, but enforcing the law is just too gauche for most Seattleites.
"Amsterseattle". (without the prostitution, atleast publicly).

Old 12-16-2015, 11:01 PM

48 posts, read 57,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
LOL. I didn't run into people smoking weed in the streets in the early 90's. It must have been centered on certain neighborhoods. Let me guess: Fremont, Cap Hill? Central District, maybe? A few pockets in the U Dist., maybe?
I noticed it in Downtown and Pioneer Square on weekend nights. I also recall it being common in Victoria B.C. as well.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,129 times
I moved to Seattle in 1993 as an 18 year old university student. Being a young adult during that time period was awesome! I lived mostly in the U-District during that decade and spent majority of my time there and Capitol Hill. Here's what I remember during the 90's:

1. Broadway was a lot more lively back then. 12th and Pike/Pine wasn't developed and was an area for cheap studio apartments. I remember eating at the Gravity Bar, Broadway Grill, Dilettante's (old location), smoking and drinking coffee at Café Septieme, and shopping at Retro Viva. Neighbours was fun. Loved Rock Lobster on Thursday nights. Parking wasn't crazy.

2. Seattle wasn't really a foodie town back then. The Met, Wild Ginger, Canlis, Nishino, and El Gaucho were the fanciest restaurants in town. I Love Sushi was the place for great sushi. Always a long crazy wait. In fact, I spent a ton of time on Fairview Ave N. It was kind of a happening place. Cucina Cucina (now Joey's) was always packed! Total meat market in the bar area! Chandler's Crabhouse was considered super fancy for me.

3. For fun, we used to go to Tower Records on the Ave and listen to CD's at the listening stations. Remember when Pearl Jam's Vs. was released in 1993? There was a long line of people waiting to buy the CD at Tower Records.

4. The Stranger was a new weekly paper in town, and I would always scan over the I Saw U's and hope that someone would spot me.

5. Driving around town was easy! No problems zipping around town. Gas was dirt cheap too.

It was a very affordable city for young people. Rents were not outrageous. People were very nice and laid back.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:34 PM

1,155 posts, read 962,733 times
Watch the documentary "Hype!" about that period in Seattle. Many locals talking about what it was like, plus lots of footage from the clubs and outside scenery, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWcZ5fHP80s

Old 09-23-2016, 02:43 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,728 times
It's interesting to hear about all the changes. I have heard from people that they remember Seattle as a "large town" instead of a cosmopolitan city.

While many Seattle residents seem to be very "anti growth" I am excited to see the changes that come with being a major city. Minus the traffic, but hopefully that encourages more people to use public transportation and not be so dependent on using their cars.

Old 09-23-2016, 04:09 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
It was great. I was here, got here in 1989. The music was raw, great and everywhere. I went to shows at "the Croc" (Crocodile Cafe) a lot. Good beer was just taking off, good coffee too. Nobody lived in Belltown, just artist and musical studios, no residential towers. The Sonics were getting better, very much so after drafting Gary Payton in 1990 and pairing him with Shawn Kemp. You know what else was different? NOBODY complained about being here, what the weather or people were like. People were thrilled to be here.
Love The Croc! Used to go their for breakfast with a friend.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:36 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Just came across this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclhqdQqbeQ

Old 09-23-2016, 07:29 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perigee View Post
Just came across this on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cclhqdQqbeQ
What does this have to do with Seattle in the 90's? Nothing. This is off-topic. This is about 80's suburbia.

I still wouldn't call Seattle "cosmopolitan", xboxmas. It's still pretty provincial. As to the 90's, it was pretty ho-hum, in my experience. All that stands out in my memory is that the Honey Bear Bakery & Café was extremely popular, and was located above Greenlake. There was a huge social scene there. There was only 1 jazz club in town, Dimitrou's Jazz Alley, and it rarely got interesting nationally- or internationally-known groups. There wasn't much happening musically outside of the grunge rock scene. The ethnomusicology dept. at the UW would occasionally get some acclaimed musicians, if you're into World Beat/roots music, and would generate some excitement, but that would come and go. Seattle has always been a pretty sleepy place.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:41 PM

735 posts, read 871,684 times
Relax Ruth, I just posted something for a laugh and it was a random coincidence that youtube, of all days, suggested it today and this thread came back to life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area