Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:49 AM

1,111 posts, read 2,318,336 times

Advertisements

The lack of humor is a result of the politically correct culture in Seattle. And you have to be PC, because if you say something offensive you never know if it applies to the person you're talking to and then they will turn around and retaliate with that passive aggressiveness we're talking about. I used to go to Meetup groups where no one would talk. They all just stared at each other, because they were afraid of saying something offensive. Happens all the time in Seattle, and I never experienced this anywhere else besides San Francisco. Awkward, often creepy stares and no talking. Convos with strangers were the most boring, surface-level conversations that couldn't go any deeper.

When someone doesn't want to talk to you in Seattle, they pretend like something you've said was an indirect insult and then they pretend like they're offended.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 05:18 PM

283 posts, read 256,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketballMan View Post
Seattle had its own local SNL in the 80s and 90s - Almost Live! Look it up - it was hilarious and had a ton of great local comedians.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgIvH0tu6Y
I think everyone knows Seattle was a lot different and more fun place in the 90s. Seattle has been living off the social/cultural capital of the early 90s for a long time, it's a boring, over-serious, sterile, and humorless place now.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:26 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
Thanks for popping that video on here. I have it on VHS but it always is good for a laugh!

Old 01-07-2016, 07:19 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Yeah, Seattle probably has the most humorless people in the United States. The socially reserved, super politically correct, serious business™ atmosphere is not an atmosphere that tends to breed comedy. A lot of the time if you crack a joke at them they'll get offended. NE and PNW humor mix like oil and water.

Just look at how many comedians are from Boston versus Seattle:

Seattle/WWA area:
Joel McHale
Chris Pratt
......?

Boston/NE area:
Bill Burr
Steve Carrel
Louis CK
Dane Cook
Mindy Kaling
John Krasinski
Denis Leary
Jay Leno
Seth McFarlane
Seth Meyers
BJ Novak
Conan O'Brien
Patrice O'neal
Amy Poehler
Joe Rogan
Adam Sandler
Sarah Silverman
Steven Wright

etc, etc...

I'm a guy who spent his formative years on the east coast, and I can totally relate to this thread. All I can say is east coast humor is an form of art. Is it abrasive? Yes? Politically correct? No! In your face, poking fun at everything that moves? Usually. Does it translate well to folks that grew up in the Pacific Northwest? Sometimes but usually not.

But it is what it is. You learn how to adapt. I know that when I'm with my circle of friends from Seattle, I need to tone down my sense of humor because what is funny to me will usually offend them to the bone. But that's ok. Just proves that people are different.

Luckily, I have a large circle of friends that are not Seattleites and when I'm with them, all hell breaks lose and I can exercise my humor without pissing anybody off (aside from tables full of Seattlites in our proximity LOL).

Always best to be a chameleon in this town..

Old 01-07-2016, 11:22 PM

603 posts, read 872,636 times
I can't speak to this too much since I just did my schooling in the area and left. For K-12 I was around the same people and college was well college; students are pretty social so I never saw too much of this. I will say though, that at the UW a lot of students (not to judge but mainly non-STEM or non-business/econ/finance majors) tended to be very PC and uptight. I wouldn't say this is exclusively a Seattle thing though, as it seems to be a commonality amongst my entire generation.

The Seattle freeze thing makes logical sense though, as the area doesn't have great weather (which bogs down peoples' mood) and attracts a lot of career-oriented people who are always in a competitive environment and stressed out.

Old 01-07-2016, 11:56 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,587,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I'm a guy who spent his formative years on the east coast, and I can totally relate to this thread. All I can say is east coast humor is an form of art. Is it abrasive? Yes? Politically correct? No! In your face, poking fun at everything that moves? Usually. Does it translate well to folks that grew up in the Pacific Northwest? Sometimes but usually not.

But it is what it is. You learn how to adapt. I know that when I'm with my circle of friends from Seattle, I need to tone down my sense of humor because what is funny to me will usually offend them to the bone. But that's ok. Just proves that people are different...
Your first paragraph hits the nail on the head! One of the first threads I read on C-D had me in stitches, because the posters, mostly from Boston, formed a collective voice and manner of engaging that instantly time-traveled me right back to Boston. And I bet they didn't even know how unequivocally Bostonian they sounded, LOL. I actually told my husband how true to form it rang.

I have no desire to ever live in the east again, but that, that style is inimitable. If I were homesick for there, that would be near the top of the draws.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:53 AM

33 posts, read 30,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
The lack of humor is a result of the politically correct culture in Seattle. And you have to be PC, because if you say something offensive you never know if it applies to the person you're talking to and then they will turn around and retaliate with that passive aggressiveness we're talking about. I used to go to Meetup groups where no one would talk. They all just stared at each other, because they were afraid of saying something offensive. Happens all the time in Seattle, and I never experienced this anywhere else besides San Francisco. Awkward, often creepy stares and no talking. Convos with strangers were the most boring, surface-level conversations that couldn't go any deeper.

When someone doesn't want to talk to you in Seattle, they pretend like something you've said was an indirect insult and then they pretend like they're offended.

On top of that way to many thin skin beta males which makes alpha males like me happy.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,133,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post

A buddy and I went to go see George Carlin when he was in Seattle a few years before he passed away. True to Seattle form, I'd say 10 percent of the audience got up and walked out mid concert.

I sat there and thought to myself, "come on people, this is George frickin' Carlin. You need to expect a truckload to offensive material." And when good ol' Georgie delivered, the PC crowd made a mad dash for the exits.

It was indeed a sad day...

Old 01-10-2016, 11:50 AM

439 posts, read 512,369 times
Thanks for posting the video, it was hilarious!

Okay, I renege that PNW'ers are not funny...

I can agree about the "over PC" culture. I, too, have been in groups where I'm afraid to offend anyone.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:52 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,409,101 times
You pay taxes for the whole road. Move that car all over the whole lane, swerve around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area