Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 AM

10 posts, read 98,458 times

Advertisements

We are searching for lot purchase to build a new home.

So we are looking for a custom home builder who can:
- do early land feasibility and cost study before buying the land
- design, file permit and build

Or a not-too-expensive architect who can do all above except the build part.

houzz.com has lots of them but most of the reviews are for remodeling. The rest seems to be some very high-end designer homes. (We pre-approved for around $1m, but it's for both lot and building cost, so we are not in the market for very fancy ones).

and we are open to any home building suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 12:05 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
dirac, I have had a number of clients over the years consider this path and then change their minds and buy a nice existing home. Problems with the buy land/build idea:

-Builders/developers snap up all of the desirable land a reasonable distance from town.
-Contractors/architects are extremely busy right now, hard to find one.
-The process takes a long time, affecting quality of life, needless stress in your life.

Why not be open to a existing home? There are some great places out there.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-12-2016 at 12:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 09:10 AM

983 posts, read 1,054,686 times
Where are you looking to build? I know of a place for 190k about 4 miles from Granite Falls. 10.5 acres, water and utilities at the street. Permitting in Snohomish County is relatively easy; this is a buildable lot.

We built our custom house in a year, from time of closing on property to actual move in. This is a nice, gated neighborhood.

I don't know how booked the builders are in this area, though.

I am not a real estate agent, just a satisfied home owner. :=)

Last edited by Gabbythecat; 01-13-2016 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Yes Gabby, there are spots in Granite Falls. That's a long way from Seattle or Bellevue. $1 million buys you some pretty nice existing places a lot closer in.

Old 01-14-2016, 12:07 PM

I suppose it depends on what you are looking for and how a commute would fit into your life. In this neighborhood I know of people that commute to Sea-tac, Edmonds, Seattle, and Redmond. If you want to make something like this work, it can be possible. :-)

Old 01-14-2016, 02:40 PM

I hear you, Gabby. I actually love it out that way and have sold a few homes out there. Commuting is an issue but more important to many of my clients is just being closer to the culture of town. Over the years, I have received countless calls from people to sell their homes. What they say often sounds like this: "I moved to the country years ago and always said that the distance wouldn't matter, that I could drive to things in Seattle whenever I wanted. Well, the reality is that it does matter, people tend to spend most of their time where they live".

Old 01-14-2016, 03:53 PM

(shrug) Well, so far it's working for my neighbors. Some of them have been here 10+ years. There aren't many small towns in King County any more - even Duvall has become more crowded. We really have a small town culture here, which is a plus for some people.

At any rate, "Seattle area" can mean many things to many people. And we really don't know where the OP works or what s/he would consider a reasonable commute.

The plus about building our own home, btw, was we got *exactly* what we wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area