Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy Bear View Post
in finance/banking/admin.
With a profile like that, you should hire a headhunter, to make short work of it. You'll owe them for their service, but it'll get the job done a lot faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2016, 06:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,141,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo99 View Post
Usually 2 rounds of phone interviews, and if you pass those, they will invite you for an on-site all day interview, about 5 or so separate interviews with a lunch. Their whole interview process is brutal in my humble opinion.
LOL: brutal only if they're not sure they want you, or you're not prepared or qualified for the role. And that's OK, the system typically works at least to some degree for both the hirer and hiree. Hey, I've both succeeded and failed on that side of the chair; failure is a great learning tool. If they want you and your CV is impressive with documentable results, the interview is more like a behavioral "conversation" to ensure you're not a fraud or bad culture fit. Every once in awhile a BS'er and/or psychopath makes it through the initial screening process, though they're "usually" caught out during those long interview cycles with sufficient cross-referencing of questions.

The five hour interview...or longer, or shorter...is in-part to see how you react under pressure, if you can juggle priorities and think on your feet. I've watched people who are bemused in demeanor, and just that good, sail through (usually "hire"). They act like they don't have a care in the world, because they can actually get results under the gun. The majority who actually get that far, however, crack in some way when sweated down ("thanks, we'll call you.") Those firms hire people who can get results and not quit in a few months, since the hire process and ramp are usually both laborious and expensive. Being intimidated by any of it is a setup to fail.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:00 PM

159 posts, read 185,462 times
Anybody work outside of Seattle? In terms of location, would I have to suffer the brute of commute to Seattle / Bellevue? Most of the jobs seem to be in that area, but not sure how specific.

Any ideas on where I should look for work, given the fact that I'll be in Lynnwood?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:51 AM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
Quote:
Anybody work outside of Seattle? In terms of location, would I have to suffer the brute of commute to Seattle / Bellevue? Most of the jobs seem to be in that area, but not sure how specific.

Any ideas on where I should look for work, given the fact that I'll be in Lynnwood?
In WA state, Seattle and Bellevue are the #1 and #2 job locations, respectively. The rest aren't even close. This isn't to say that you can't find a job closer to where you live. However, unless you are working a random retail or admin job, your chances of finding a job jump enormously in those two places. So even though the commute sucks, you should probably look for work in those places because that is where the work is most likely to be found.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaiunmei View Post
In WA state, Seattle and Bellevue are the #1 and #2 job locations, respectively. The rest aren't even close. This isn't to say that you can't find a job closer to where you live. However, unless you are working a random retail or admin job, your chances of finding a job jump enormously in those two places. So even though the commute sucks, you should probably look for work in those places because that is where the work is most likely to be found.
Thank You.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

As for me, I am moving out of here.. The city is becoming unlivable. Even many software developers I know are just scraping by a living. The salaries are not going up at all, but the cost of living are certainly rising. Also, the area is saturated with H1Bs, thanks to the giant corporations that have a dominant presence in the area.

Lol. Software developers are scraping by? Yeah, while they live in a four car garage home in Bellevue and drive their Mercedes or BMw they can't afford...

Please, if you're not able to survive here and you have what is considered a "white collar" job, then moving won't solve your problem. Rather, you don't understand how to live within your means. It's a personal finance problem. Lol... Such a ridiculous post.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post

I fear that Washington is on its way of being California North.. Gridlocked traffic, outrageous living costs and brutal taxes that will essentially turn it into a resort/welfare state just like its cousin to the South.

All the great benefits Washington had got ruined when all the "Progressive" Californians and East Coasters came to cash out and fix all of Washington's "backwards" and "Conservative" laws. I'm glad things are improving with the large infux of outsiders. I left my home state of Oregon for the same reason and now I am leaving Oregon/Washington permanently. .
Brutal taxes? What brutal taxes? What are you talking about? Do you realize that WA is considered to be a tax haven for higher income people who have retirement investment accounts, because there's no income tax and no capital gains tax?

And it wasn't Cali transplants that caused traffic gridlock, it was Seattle policymakers, who decided to opt for higher density to control sprawl into farmland. They didn't build more freeways because there's not that much room for building them, the state budget has never been able to afford it, and mainly, no one foresaw the runaway tech boom that drew thousands of workers to the area. Seattle used to shuffle along on the occasional Boeing hiring boom, inevitably followed by a bust, and layoffs. That, and the UW, were the main drivers of the local economy. Once Microsoft moved to the area and took off, unprecedented demographic changes and growth began to take place. It caught planners off guard.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:23 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:

Why not apply for jobs in Lynnwood? And Everett and Edmonds? You might even look in Marysville and Mount Vernon.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Why not apply for jobs in Lynnwood? And Everett and Edmonds? You might even look in Marysville and Mount Vernon.
Thats what I‘m looking at as well. Thanks Just trynna understand the areas a bit better. I wouldnt mind a longer commute, just please no traffic. Been working hard on those resumes. Guess it just takes time.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:14 PM

731 posts, read 935,167 times
No traffic is impossible here - anywhere! Lynnwood has some of the worst just on their main roads, not to mention the highways. The only way to meet your requirement of no traffic is to work the night shift. Just be prepared for that. There are far more cars than the roads were made to handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area