Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 12:11 PM

437 posts, read 435,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I found something I'm genuinely going to miss:

The dress code.

One of the things that has become painfully obvious as we transition from Seattle to LA is that we (well, I - she was always on point) have to up my fashion game. Most of my wardrobe consists of T-shirts that I got for free at conventions or bought off sites like threadless, I only had 2 pairs of shoes - a pair of basic sneakers and one pair of wingtips, nothing but jeans with one pair of slacks, and one suitcoat.

They're comfortable and required zero effort, and this all worked just fine in a city that is arguably the worst dressed metropolitan area in the world; I wasn't even in the bottom quintile of dressers. It doesn't fly in SoCal. Now I've gotta go join Trunk Club or hire a personal shopper or something, because the dress-like-**** thing isn't OK here.

Maybe you shoulda come a bit further south...San Diego. Totally laidback fashion sense here.
Seriously----I hate to dress-up or follow trends and never feel any pressure to do so here. I practically live in my standard issue jeans, cargo pants, or drawstring casual scrub pants, t-shirts, camisoles, an assortment of jean-style courderoy jackets, and flipflops.

But if you really do feel pressured to up your clothes game, try shopping at used clothing sites like Poshmark, Thredup, etc...you can get a lot of really nice stuff, brand names, at low prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:51 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolochs View Post
Maybe you shoulda come a bit further south...San Diego. Totally laidback fashion sense here.
Seriously----I hate to dress-up or follow trends and never feel any pressure to do so here. I practically live in my standard issue jeans, cargo pants, or drawstring casual scrub pants, t-shirts, camisoles, an assortment of jean-style courderoy jackets, and flipflops.

But if you really do feel pressured to up your clothes game, try shopping at used clothing sites like Poshmark, Thredup, etc...you can get a lot of really nice stuff, brand names, at low prices.

Meh, it's not price that deterred me from dressing better. It was that it takes effort, it takes maintenance, and the clothing isn't as comfortable. I could shop exclusively at Barney's or Brooks Brothers or the like without even noticing price, I just don't like to because of a combination of comfort and the fact that I'm totally cool with my stuff being a bit wrinkly. And it was kind of nice knowing that even though I dressed like crap, I was still dressing better than more than half the people around me. I liked that I could show up to the symphony or the nicest restaurants in town in a pair of jeans and some New Balances and not feel like I was bringing down the curve. 1 nice suit for weddings, funerals, and interviews was just fine, cause it only got dusted off a couple times a year. Down here, people take appearance seriously, and if you don't play along it can impede professional growth.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice being surrounded by people who are even slightly put together and who's entire wardrobe doesn't consist of North Face, stupid "12" jerseys, hoodies, and other fashion monstrosities, but not having to take part in that particular rat race freed up time & energy, and allowed me to divert that focus to things that actually mattered.

Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 PM

8,171 posts, read 8,299,480 times
Picking loads of wild chanterelles in my secret spot and sitting in my favorite natural hot springs in the Cascades (not telling you where it is if you don't know) in the Autumn.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:14 AM

I love the massive cedar trees in this area, some of my favorites are at Volunteer Park, Green Lake and Seward Park. I'm 50 years old and I still climb them. I also like how if someone utters a racist, sexist or homophobic remark in a social setting, they are immediately called out for it. I like the organic CSAs here, fresh farm food delivered to your house. I still like that within 5 minutes of my house, I can be walking alone in the woods at Carkeek Park. I like that being quirky, different is okay and even embraced. I like that we don't have religious ("what church do you belong to"?) judgement here. I like that there is more money around these days to bring excellent art exhibits. I love the sheer volume and high quality of Asian food options here: Khmer Cambodian, Provincial Vietnamese, Northern Thai, Laotian, Filipino, Taiwanese, Malaysian, Bengali/Bangladeshi and South Indian, Indonesian, Pakistani, Nepalese, Japanese, Afghani, Mongolian, Korean, Xi'an regional Chinese.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:24 AM

Sitting in our backyard, having coffee, birds chirping. As I look at the 115F temperature readings in Arizona, Seattle is feeling pretty good. Does this make up for the rainy winter? Of course not, but it is my home and I love it.

Old 06-29-2017, 10:16 AM

735 posts, read 871,497 times
There are plenty of great white water rafting experiences to choice from, all within a reasonable drive from Seattle and with this years melt off it should be a good season. Make sure you go with a reputable outfitter that provides all the safety gear and experienced guides, then show up, tug up that wetsuit, paddle like crazy, learn a little about reading a river and enjoy a well earned lunch by the water.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:45 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Sitting in our backyard, having coffee, birds chirping. As I look at the 115F temperature readings in Arizona, Seattle is feeling pretty good. Does this make up for the rainy winter? Of course not, but it is my home and I love it.
Actually, I feel that we are lucky to have those rainy winters, compared to the Arctic winters elsewhere.

Summer here....the finest summers I have experienced anywhere. Warm, sunny, but not too hot, not too humid.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:53 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Actually, I feel that we are lucky to have those rainy winters, compared to the Arctic winters elsewhere.

Summer here....the finest summers I have experienced anywhere. Warm, sunny, but not too hot, not too humid.
Yes! I get a but annoyed at all the contributors whining about the weather here. We don't have the 110 plus degree weather in the summer that the SW states have and we don't have the subfreezing winters much of the country has. We go years without one snowfalls.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:01 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,407 times
We are used to PNW winters, but I can see why someone might get depressed by the grey-ness.

(If someone is considering moving here, I think they should visit first during the winter).

On the other hand, the climate here is not given to extremes.

Old 07-02-2017, 08:19 PM

474 posts, read 1,455,450 times
Sitting in a favorite spot at Pike Place on an insane sunny summer day and watching the tourists be delighted by everything they're experiencing.... and knowing that they're only scratching the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area