Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:17 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,330,094 times

Advertisements

I love some of Seattle's old buildings. The old skyscrapers. The Smith Tower. The Northern Life Building. The Arctic Building, etc. Unfortunately, I think most of the newer buildings in Seattle are ugly, and there's too many of them. But I'll give praise where it's due. The older buildings in Seattle, those that are left, are really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 07:10 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
One of the best things about Seattle is that in a couple of hours you can be in eastern Washington. That is not so much fun, for those of us that live in eastern Washington, but it is a god send for those in Seattle.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:15 PM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
What many people say they love affirms what I don't love. Things on that list that I would consider true and/or actually positive:

Ten times easier to breathe clean air.
Ten times easier to get to excellent hiking and trailheads.
Ten times easier to know that amazing views are all around you.
Ten times easier to salmon, Dungeness crabs, oysters and amazing seafood.
Ten times easier to know that you'll have summers without the ridiculous heat & humidity.
Ten times easier to see a giant troll under a bridge eating a VW.
Ten times easier to take a boat and see real Orca whales.
Ten times easier to jump on a ferry boat anytime you want.
Ten times easier to visit Bruce Lee's and Jimi Hendrix's graves in the same day.

19% agreement. Better than expected.

Old 01-25-2016, 11:40 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Basilide, you wouldn't consider it true or desirable that local farm grown organic food of all kinds (veggies, fruit, meat, dairy) is available everywhere here, often with the ability to buy it directly from farmers' markets or the grower? Prominent chefs say we have some of the best local food sources in the world. I love that and loads of people I know feel the same.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-26-2016 at 12:31 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 12:07 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira500 View Post
I love some of Seattle's old buildings. The old skyscrapers. The Smith Tower. The Northern Life Building. The Arctic Building, etc. Unfortunately, I think most of the newer buildings in Seattle are ugly, and there's too many of them. But I'll give praise where it's due. The older buildings in Seattle, those that are left, are really cool.
Emmett's back.

Old 01-26-2016, 12:56 AM

687 posts, read 616,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesinseattle View Post
Basilide, you wouldn't consider if true or desirable that local farm grown organic food is available everywhere here, many times being able to buy it directly from farmers' markets or the grower? I do, and loads of people I know feel the same.
Not ten times easier than other places.

This is the problem: People in Seattle act like they invented things like urban farming and organic produce.

http://ensia.com/features/urban-agri...-really-yield/

"Leadley is a key player in Detroit's vibrant communal and commercial farming community, which in 2014 produced nearly 400,000 pounds (181,000 kilograms) of produce—enough to feed more than 600 people—in its more than 1,300 community, market, family, and school gardens. Other farms in post-industrial cities are also prolific: In 2008, Philadelphia's 226 community and squatter gardens grew roughly 2 million pounds of mid-summer vegetables and herbs, worth $4.9 million. Running at full bore, Brooklyn's Added-Value Farm, which occupies 2.75 acres, funnels 40,000 pounds of fruit and vegetables into the low-income neighborhood of Red Hook. And in Camden, New Jersey—an extremely poor city of 80,000 with only one full-service supermarket—community gardeners at 44 sites harvested almost 31,000 pounds (14,000 kilograms) of vegetables during an unusually wet and cold summer. That's enough food during the growing season to feed 508 people three servings a day."

Detroit, Philadelphia, Brooklyn, New Jersey... where is Seattle? Don't they know it's ten times easier to find local food here?

Old 01-26-2016, 06:23 AM

I don't mean "actually" ten times, don't be so literal . I certainly never claimed that Seattle invented anything, except maybe rain, good grunge and bad drivers. I do find, however, that the culture of what I consider good food (organic and local farm grown) is widespread in this area. I like that. I consider it promising that you liked 17 percent of my list, and you will have to take your shoes off when you come over to our place. Read my thread title again, especially the end. Can you mosey back over to the other "10 times harder" thread (there are plenty of that persuasion to choose from) and leave this one for those who want to say what they love? Thanks.

Last edited by homesinseattle; 01-26-2016 at 07:10 AM..

Old 01-26-2016, 03:45 PM

The look of Monkey Puzzle Trees and the sound of rain falling on old cedars.

Old 01-26-2016, 05:28 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,899,735 times
Rugged beauty of the area, lots of excellent hiking, no state income tax, mild climate, not actively regressive politically like some states.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:36 AM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
I like that I don't have to shovel snow or turn on the A/C in my car.
I like that %80 of the time I don't even have to drive a car.
I like that I can run to the bus without sweating.
I like that the sun or air doesn't hurt my eyes like it did in CA.
I like big trees and blue water.
I like that I feel more likely to be killed by falling tree than I am from the people.
I like the bus.
I like the weather being cool enough so I can wear dress shirts, ties, and leather jackets without feeling like I'm wearing a sweatsuit.
I like the women.
I like how small it is, without being too small.
I like shopping at Safeway.
I like the farmer's market in West Seattle every Sunday morning.
I like no WA state tax.
I like the cute girl who works at the UPS store near me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area