Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2021, 10:38 AM

8,736 posts, read 8,665,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquetraveler View Post
Always loved Seattle area for nature-mountains and lakes, recently I am also appreciating how the metro area is becoming a hub of future technology-- be it artificial intelligence, cloud computing, bio tech or advanced aerospace. It's cool, when the place you live in have first in so many areas like the cashier free Amazon Go store, the first Starbucks Reserve in Capital Hill or the first flight of Boeing 777x!
I'm happy for the high wages offered to those involved in the technology but I can't say that it has impressed me much.

Starbucks Reserve definitely makes a bold statement, but it's not a Cheers sort of place. To get groceries without much, or very little assistance, like at Amazon Go doesn't make a Cheers sort of place either.

One offers a novel and glitzy experience.. nice decor really... and the other offers excellent convenience (and comfortable shopping for the socially anxious ).

But I would rather stick to my local QFC and Issaquah Coffee Company for groceries and coffee. People at both know my name and I know many of theirs. The QFC has retained many of its employees since I moved to Issaquah in 2012. I love the interactions between customer and employee and I think it improves the experience for both parties.

The "first ever" will get old and replaced too. Tech produces so much stuff that ends up as literal garbage... Kinect, Google lens, Fire Phone. Not to mention the tech near immediately gets used to make a gazillion knock off products... Airpods, phones, smart watches, etc..

It all ends up obsolete junk within a few years. Hurrah! We're first in creating electronic trash!

I love our long, slow springs. You can grow flowers here and have them last longer than the lower 48. For me it has always been, and will remain, climate, topography, flora and fauna.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2021, 01:49 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,491,319 times

Even though Mr. Howard Schultz sold away our beloved Seattle Supersonic's, I'll always choose Starbuck's French Roast to enjoy. They burn the beans, but, somehow, the coffee tastes deli-icious. Every time.

Another Pacific Northwest original.

Old 05-09-2021, 11:49 PM

240 posts, read 195,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingsaucermom View Post
I'm happy for the high wages offered to those involved in the technology but I can't say that it has impressed me much.

Starbucks Reserve definitely makes a bold statement, but it's not a Cheers sort of place. To get groceries without much, or very little assistance, like at Amazon Go doesn't make a Cheers sort of place either.

One offers a novel and glitzy experience.. nice decor really... and the other offers excellent convenience (and comfortable shopping for the socially anxious ).

But I would rather stick to my local QFC and Issaquah Coffee Company for groceries and coffee. People at both know my name and I know many of theirs. The QFC has retained many of its employees since I moved to Issaquah in 2012. I love the interactions between customer and employee and I think it improves the experience for both parties.

The "first ever" will get old and replaced too. Tech produces so much stuff that ends up as literal garbage... Kinect, Google lens, Fire Phone. Not to mention the tech near immediately gets used to make a gazillion knock off products... Airpods, phones, smart watches, etc..

It all ends up obsolete junk within a few years. Hurrah! We're first in creating electronic trash!

I love our long, slow springs. You can grow flowers here and have them last longer than the lower 48. For me it has always been, and will remain, climate, topography, flora and fauna.
To each their own... also I was referring to disruptive technologies being created in Seattle versus every other electronic product. For example, Boeing building 747 revolutionized air travel, Amazon did the same for e-commerce and Microsoft for personal computer. It is exciting to live in a place that is at the heart of innovation, the other day I was talking to this startup called Haptx based in Seattle, they are building gloves that allows someone to touch and feel objects in virtual reality (could have major impact to people that have lost limbs due to accident)..

New technology is always looked at skeptically, in David McCullough's book Wright brothers, there is a passage about late 18th century/early 19th century, when bicycles first came about. At that time bikes were really looked down by the society as apparently this ease of short travels caused young lads to stop reading books..

Anyways, the old school charm of small town café and personal connection is also nice, ferry ride to Bremerton, idyllic towns scattered along the mountains and coast line all brings in the human touch in modern every day life.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:34 AM

To each their own... also I was referring to disruptive technologies being created in Seattle versus every other electronic product. For example, Boeing building 747 revolutionized air travel, Amazon did the same for e-commerce and Microsoft for personal computer. It is exciting to live in a place that is at the heart of innovation, the other day I was talking to this startup called Haptx based in Seattle, they are building gloves that allows someone to touch and feel objects in virtual reality (could have major impact to people that have lost limbs due to accident)..

New technology is always looked at skeptically, in David McCullough's book Wright brothers, there is a passage about late 18th century/early 19th century, when bicycles first came about. At that time bikes were really looked down by the society as apparently this ease of short travels caused young lads to stop reading books..

Anyways, the old school charm of small town café and personal connection is also nice, ferry ride to Bremerton, idyllic towns scattered along the mountains and coast line all brings in the human touch in modern every day life.

I enjoyed your post above and agree with you on all of this. Original Pacific Northwest citizens ought ta be hella proud of the technological advances made by Seattle-area industries. They are mighty and huge inventions. As a Boeing worker who's now in another industry, I'll tell you this: the Boeing plant in Everett, being the world's largest building by volume, is mammoth. And the 747 is a mammoth jet airliner. I actually earned a retirement payout from Boeing having put in just over 20 years with them. I'll never forget working there, and I'll always cherish the experience as well.

Old 05-11-2021, 03:27 PM

1,348 posts, read 705,935 times
not a thing

Old 05-12-2021, 04:56 PM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
not a thing
Did you read the thread title?

Old 05-13-2021, 04:39 AM

Did you read the thread title?

No the "we'll never make it guy" did not read the thread title. If he did, he's overlooking the region's various notable accomplishments.

Old 05-22-2021, 01:08 AM

26 posts, read 26,497 times
I am a hater, but I do like The beer, the wine, the mild winters, and the legal marijuana. The wildlife, close proximity to the mountains. The neat stuff you find at garage sales and thrift stores.

Last edited by Grasshopperfu; 05-22-2021 at 01:18 AM..

Old 05-23-2021, 08:13 AM

8,170 posts, read 8,292,916 times
Kubota Gardens in South Beacon Hill in Seattle. It’s free, huge (20 acres) and a great place to wander. Beautiful trails, water features, rock work, flowers. Really cool history too, created by a well known Japanese American landscape architect who was sent to an internment camp in Idaho during WW2. Here’s the link, go visit soon, trust me: https://www.seattle.gov/parks/find/parks/kubota-garden

Last edited by homesinseattle; 05-23-2021 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-23-2021, 11:35 AM

441 posts, read 439,243 times
I lived in Seattle for several years and i may have already posted but I did not go back through all the pages. Anyways I always loved how green it was. The traffic was bad but I rode the bus. I loved going to baseball games in the Kingdome. I hope to visit Safeco at some point. (whatever they call it now)

There was always things going on like Bumbershoot, the fair, baseball, football, basketball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area