Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 09:37 AM

35 posts, read 50,222 times

Advertisements

I'm a senior without a car moving from Louisville, KY to Seattle to be near my remaining family. (I've lived in Louisville for about 7 years, but originally am from Brooklyn where public transportation is a non-issue.) I lived in San Francisco for 15 years and now, with my neices living in Seattle, have visited Seattle many times. I've always thought of it as a public transportation mecca.

My 30-something neices live in Kenmore and Mukilteo. Since I'm a low-income senior I'm using aptfinder.org to preview neighborhoods and finding quite a few offered downtown. However, one neice told me not to expect her to visit often from Kenmore because of the horrific traffic. So, I've expanded my search up through Ballard, Greenwood, Northgate, Shoreline, etc. because except for Kirkland, there's not a lot on the east side.

When I plot a bus route from Northgate to Kenmore, for example, I come back with at least a one and a half hour trip. Same from downtown, Greenwood, etc. Ouch.

Am I missing something? Like a ferry crossing on Lake Washington between say Greenwood and Kirkland that would minimize the time?

Or, is this reality?

Thanks so much, city-data advisors!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 09:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Besides the gridlock around South Lake Union that the buses have to get through, the biggest problem is the timing. A trip that takes 30 minutes by car can take 3 times as long because you have to transfer to 1-2 other buses, and may have to wait 10-30 minutes for that one to arrive. If you plan on frequent bus trips, it's best to reverse engineer it, look for a home that is served by a direct bus to where you will be going the most. Find the main bus stops (Park & Rides/Transit Centers) near where you want to go visit, then look at the route maps for the buses stopping there, and look for a place to live along the route. Why are you not considering Kenmore, Mukilteo, Edmonds or Lynnwood? You would be much closer, and the rent will be less than the Seattle areas mentioned or Kirkland.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:46 AM

35 posts, read 50,222 times
I am considering all of the communities you mention, but I'm limited to low-income senior housing so if there's nothing in that particular neighborhood I'm out of luck.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not missing something when I see those 90 minute bus scheduled.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Okay, first get your priorities straight: find a place that will take you. Many have waiting lists, so overly limiting your options can leave you without any. First, what is more important? Ease of your relatives visiting you or you visiting them? I'd say the first; if it takes you an hour or two on the bus to visit them, so be it. Forget the HUD-Individual/Family properties - they all have huge waiting lists. Stop thinking about neighborhoods, but very general areas: Anywhere between North Seattle/Bellevue to Everett, for instance. For longer-term housing, focus on HUD/USDA Project-Based Senior/Disabled or Senior-Only):

Woodlake Manor I & II - Snohomish
Highlands East - Shoreline
Loyal Heights Manor - NW Seattle
Booth Gardens - NW Seattle
Market Terrace - Ballard, Seattle
Golden Sunset - Ballard, Seattle
Meridian Manor - Northgate, Seattle
Patricia Harris Manor - Redmond
Kirkland Plaza - Kirkland
Bellevue Manor - Bellevue
Eastwood Square - Bellevue
Chalet - Bellevue
Wildwood Court - Bellevue

Get on ALL their waiting lists! Note, however, you might not be able to make a one-hop move to any of these properties. When a place opens up, you need to be in the Seattle-area, so you can respond immediately. If not, you'll miss out.

In other words, find ANY place (even in south Seattle, Tacoma, wherever with decent transit links) that offers a subsidized/reduced rent you can afford and will take you. You're looking for a lily-pad, a place to land. Once again, however, you can't expect to get into one of these properties unless you are here. In other words, you need your relatives to put you up for an extended visit - at least a month. Use their address and get a cell phone with a 206 or 360 area code to set up interviews/visits/tours prior to coming. You need to hit the ground running.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundreamer66 View Post
...but I'm limited to low-income senior housing so if there's nothing in that particular neighborhood I'm out of luck...
As in a portable Section 8 voucher, or are you looking for seniors-only housing or subsidized housing of some sort? Or do you simply mean housing affordable to seniors with low incomes?

I would add Bothell to your search.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:08 PM

8,071 posts, read 8,367,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
As in a portable Section 8 voucher, or are you looking for seniors-only housing or subsidized housing of some sort? Or do you simply mean housing affordable to seniors with low incomes?

I would add Bothell to your search.
Riverside Landing in Bothell, Heron Landing in Kenmore, and Greenbrier Heights in Woodinville are senior-only properties that offer reduced (but not subsidized) rents in return for receiving a tax credit from the State of Washington. They are not HUD-subsidized "project-based" properties (with rents set at 30% of income minus medical expenses), but do accept Section-8 vouchers. (I don't believe the OP has a voucher.) Greenbrier Heights currently has "No waiting list at this time", which could mean they have or are anticipating openings.

Kirkland Plaza is a HUD-subsidized "project-based" property, but has a waiting list of "over a year" (although waiting list estimates on aptfinder.org aren't always up to date).

Old 01-24-2016, 06:21 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDonkey View Post
Riverside Landing in Bothell, Heron Landing in Kenmore, and Greenbrier Heights in Woodinville are senior-only properties that offer reduced (but not subsidized) rents in return for receiving a tax credit from the State of Washington. They are not HUD-subsidized "project-based" properties (with rents set at 30% of income minus medical expenses), but do accept Section-8 vouchers. (I don't believe the OP has a voucher.) Greenbrier Heights currently has "No waiting list at this time", which could mean they have or are anticipating openings.

Kirkland Plaza is a HUD-subsidized "project-based" property, but has a waiting list of "over a year" (although waiting list estimates on aptfinder.org aren't always up to date).
The Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program is a federal scheme that provides annual (federal) income tax credits to owners of eligible units.

The Housing Finance Commission has a searchable list of LIHTC properties - Search for Commission Financed Properties
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area