U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:18 PM

15 posts, read 116,570 times

Advertisements

hello all, I had been offer a job in downtown seattle in the building of public health making about $25 an hour. I recently live in Salt Lake City and will really want to move to Seattle because I love the city up there. I have two small children and am considering renting until I understand the neighborhoods in Seattle better. I will like some input on good affordable places to live with my two kids. I would like to know of places that are childfriendly, that is places that have parks in their surroundings, are safe and have schools close. I am wondering where do people with families live, in Seattle, and if it is logical for me to take a $25 and hour job up there. I know I will be commuting to work because the building is downtown. Overall I will appreciate some help on this, since I need to make a desicion but know little about what to expect. Any thougths are appreciated.!!!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM

3,871 posts, read 16,256,098 times
Hi, Angelco. Welcome to the wonderful idea of moving to the Pacific Northwest!

For rentals in and around Seattle, this site called NWSource combines the Classifieds of the two leading newspapers in and around Seattle:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/
When you open that site, you'll see a map and a list of locations you can check.

For good schools and areas with parks and kids' sports fields, I'd suggest North Seattle, Downtown & Central Seattle, and West Seattle -- as areas to start looking. You'll be able to get an idea of prices and amount of space available.

You might also want to check on Craigslist.

That should give you a good research start! Have fun!

Old 02-07-2008, 04:43 PM

1,992 posts, read 6,289,757 times
I work right next door to your building. I would recommend riding the bus if you are going to be commuting from the suburbs. I am not sure if there is parking in the public health building, if not you will have a hard time finding a spot that either doesn't cost 15 bucks a day or is 2 miles away. There are several express busses that will drop you off right in front of the building.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:41 PM

3,226 posts, read 13,363,442 times
Quote:
For good schools and areas with parks and kids' sports fields, I'd suggest North Seattle, Downtown & Central Seattle, and West Seattle --
??

What schools are you recommending in downtown or CD? And by North Seattle - do you mean Shoreline?? Last I heard, they were having major budget issues.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:17 PM

YES!!! I was thinking about taking the bus everytime. Is this what you do? Is the public transportation over there fast? I am only asking just to have an idea of when I will actually get home in the evenings and so. Do you know about places to live close to the university of washington? is that even a good idea?

thank you so much.. have tons of planning to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I work right next door to your building. I would recommend riding the bus if you are going to be commuting from the suburbs. I am not sure if there is parking in the public health building, if not you will have a hard time finding a spot that either doesn't cost 15 bucks a day or is 2 miles away. There are several express busses that will drop you off right in front of the building.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:18 PM

thank you so much for your advice.. yes that is quite a homework. I will look into craiglists and the website you suggested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Hi, Angelco. Welcome to the wonderful idea of moving to the Pacific Northwest!

For rentals in and around Seattle, this site called NWSource combines the Classifieds of the two leading newspapers in and around Seattle:
http://rentals.nwsource.com/rentals/
When you open that site, you'll see a map and a list of locations you can check.

For good schools and areas with parks and kids' sports fields, I'd suggest North Seattle, Downtown & Central Seattle, and West Seattle -- as areas to start looking. You'll be able to get an idea of prices and amount of space available.

You might also want to check on Craigslist.

That should give you a good research start! Have fun!

Old 02-13-2008, 03:11 PM

5,597 posts, read 18,179,899 times
If your employer is King County, you'll receive a free bus pass so, yeah, no need to even think about driving into work.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:34 PM

Great news.
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco22 View Post
If your employer is King County, you'll receive a free bus pass so, yeah, no need to even think about driving into work.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:38 AM

1,992 posts, read 6,289,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelco View Post
YES!!! I was thinking about taking the bus everytime. Is this what you do? Is the public transportation over there fast? I am only asking just to have an idea of when I will actually get home in the evenings and so. Do you know about places to live close to the university of washington? is that even a good idea?

thank you so much.. have tons of planning to do!
I commute by bus from Redmond, and it takes approximately 45 minutes from the park & ride lot to 3 blocks from my building. If you live in the U district, expect it to take less.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 PM

I take that the U district is the University of Washington? are the neighborhoods ok there? What about where you live? How is Redmond like? I am just so lost, don't even know if look south of downtown, or north, or west or east.. I don't know. Some lady told me the best place to live was Samammish but I though it was too far out.. she said 45 min by car and I don't think I want to do that.. however a place with a park close by it is very attractive to me because of my children.
Thanks for suggestions and thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
I commute by bus from Redmond, and it takes approximately 45 minutes from the park & ride lot to 3 blocks from my building. If you live in the U district, expect it to take less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area