Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 03:30 PM

2 posts, read 1,503 times

Advertisements

I've been reading threads on this board for a few days now (a lot of great stuff!) and wanted to get advice more tailored for my particular situation.

I'm a software developer in the Southeast with a Computer Engineering degree and around 2 years experience (mostly eCommerce work in the Microsoft stack). My brother lives in Seattle, and after visiting a few times I've fallen in love with the city. I left my previous job last year (with notice and on very good terms) intending to relocate to Seattle, but I had to take the past few months off to help with a family health situation.

Though that has now been resolved, I'm now concerned with the resulting employment gap and see two options moving forward: move without a job lined up so that I can apply aggressively with the local advantage, or take a position in the Southeast and try relocating again in a few years. I have savings for 3-6 months living expenses and family to stay with. Which do you all recommend? Thank you so much for the help!

tl;dr: software dev w/ small employment gap wondering how crazy it is to relocate to Seattle w/o job lined up (but with family in the area and some savings)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 03:31 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
just. do. it.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM

163 posts, read 269,806 times
Life is too short to go spend another few years saving up to make it work. Just go and you'll figure it out. You love Seattle.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:45 PM

678 posts, read 875,271 times
If you have family to stay with in Seattle than there is really no rush. It would be a challenge if you were paying rent somewhere without a job. But that's not the case for you so you should be just fine.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:56 PM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
A good friend of mine just died way too young in an accident. Each day is precious. You have a place to stay here, come follow your dreams!

Old 02-12-2016, 08:38 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,479,779 times
I'm going to assume you are a full stack developer. If so, you will have little to no problems finding work.

My strong advice to you, however, is to search for jobs in the area with your skill set and reach out to the recruiters. Many recruiters are very helpful, especially as the market for developers is competitive and every recruiter wants to make money on pushing the next guy towards the next project.

A gap of a few months is NBD up here. People regularly take sabbaticals for whatever reason.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:25 AM

278 posts, read 335,471 times
Ditto. This TS has it easy. Imagine heading to Seattle with no job/no friends/no relatives in the area, and finding an apartment to rent. This guy already has a place to live and crash.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
If you have family to stay with in Seattle than there is really no rush. It would be a challenge if you were paying rent somewhere without a job. But that's not the case for you so you should be just fine.

Old 02-13-2016, 07:58 AM

681 posts, read 1,044,904 times
If I had family or friends in Seattle, i would have been living there years ago, do it! I'm still working on my path to get me there. You have the path laid out, so do it! no regrets!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:02 AM

2 posts, read 1,503 times
Thanks everyone for all of the advice and support! I expected a lot more "never move without a job!" posts, so this has been really encouraging. It sounds like I need to get packing!

Old 02-13-2016, 09:17 AM

735 posts, read 870,822 times
You've got family to stay with and you have a marketable skill set, hellz to the yeah, move! Our society is becoming acutely aware of people becoming caregivers, make sure you emphasize that in your cover letter and interviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: