Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,669,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I also moved here from Michigan, but in early May. We took 94/90. Weather can be pretty unpredictable, especially this time off year and who knows what it will be like in 2-3 weeks, but it's been a warmer winter so that's in your favor. Lookout Pass (state line between Montana and Idaho) will be more of a concern than Snoqualmie Pass.... I don't consider Snoqualmie Pass to be "mountain driving" at all... you never really feel like you're on the edge of anything and in fact, you're right next to a decent size body of water while at the top... Lookout Pass, however, has the "mountain pass" quality to it... and it was snowing up there when I crossed over... I was driving a huge rental van and had to deal with the snow and slow moving semis with their flashers on... not very pleasant, but fortunately, it was quick enough...

The good news is that the crews are quick to clear the roads. Just make sure to check ahead and maybe identify a few places where you could stop if need be. I think you'll be fine.

I moved in the dead of winter in late January of 2011 from Elko, NV, to Kellogg, ID. We were at a convenience store back about St.Regis, MT, and it was snowing those dinky little snowflakes about 5:30PM. Our son was driving our Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with automatic CVT transmission behind us and I was driving a 17' foot U-Haul chock full of our possessions. By the time we climbed up the Bitterroot Mts. and Lookout Pass it was snowing big-time. Not only that, there was a lot of snow and ice under our tires crushed down and pretty slick. We were around where you cross over in to Idaho when I didn't see my Lancer's headlights behind us any more. Our son didn't have a cellphone at that time, but I did. Didn't do me much good because he needed ta have one in the Lancer.

Anyway, I recall hitting numerous big chunks of ice and slipping a few inches left or right, but pretty much we were able ta keep cruising back down the mountains to Kellogg. I got off I-90 and went to a convenience store and remember asking the clerk where the Motel 6 was (they don't have any problem with animals and we had 4 of them - they're the same 2 cats and 2 dogs we have now) and she looked at me like I was from Nevada and said "we don't have a Motel 6 in this town."

I said "That's a bunch of crap!" I distinctly remember her looking back at me like she was thinking "I don't know what to do with this guy and I don't know what his problem is, either." I thought Kellogg had one because there was a Motel 6 sign just east of town on I-90 with spotlights shining on it and we were really tired by that time of night.

I don't remember now where our son found us in Kellogg, but he did. The deal earlier and the reason we lost him behind us is he did a 360 degree spin going west on I-90! When he recovered his senses enough to realize what just happened, a semitruck just came to a stop 30 feet from him and just sat there. Our son turned the car around and headed for Kellogg, where we eventually met up with him. He was able ta avoid the guardrail and I was so thankful nobody was hurt in that 360 spin he did.

We went east to Wallace, ID, which is one of my favorite cities in all of Idaho. It's got historic buildings and stories galore - the whole town is a national treasure. We found a place ta sleep there that took dogs and cats, slept somewhat well, and continued our journey later the next morning back to Kellogg, where I had a Medical job waiting for me there. Point being is that Lookout Pass going westbound and eastbound on I-90 is the real mountain deal. It is not very forgiving in the snow, and it is plenty of steep grade to challenge your driving skills. If you can get someone else ta follow you if you know there's gonna be snow and then just come back about St. Regis or so towards Mullan, ID, it would be a smart thing ta do. That trip west to Kellogg, ID, literally wore us completely out because of the dangerous driving conditions.
Wow, what a story! Glad you all ended up okay in the end...

A few years ago I crossed over Lookout Pass again, but on a sunny and hot late July afternoon, and it was a stunning drive, but still a bit unnerving for a mom and her young sons crossing half the country on her own!

I really regret not stopping in Wallace on either trip. When I planned my route I was looking for recognizable coffee shops and they didn't seem to have one so I blew right past it.

There is a slim chance I might make a trip late August... if so, I'll be sure to stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 12:12 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
If you have good tires, you will most likely be fine. The Interstates are usually kept clear in minor storms, worst case in a major storm you would be delayed 6-12 hours. I wouldn't sweat it. My recommendation is to plan on the most direct route, then watch the weather. All routes can be at the mercy of weather, but we are slowly getting to the point in the year when winter storms will not be an issue, especially as you get further west, as it has been a warm winter out here.

From Ohio, depending on your start point, I-70 west to I-74, up to I-80, then I-29 up to I-90. Then stay there till you reach your destination. Most states have internet/phone road conditions.

Alternate route if heavy snow is forcasted in western Montana/northern Idaho (unlikely), then you should plan on I-80 into Wyoming, then NW on I-84 in Utah to Idaho hooking up with I-82 in Oregon to WA.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-18-2016 at 01:11 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 10:32 AM

20 posts, read 32,937 times
I just did the drive in January from VA, it was terrifying because I ran into quite a bit snow and below zero temps coming through MN, MT, ID, and SD. I bought chains for the mountain passes but didn't use them, the worse one was Snoqualmie because it was a storm going through. Its a beautiful drive but take your time and plan out enough days. For me it took 4 days to get across.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:57 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
I really regret not stopping in Wallace on either trip. When I planned my route I was looking for recognizable coffee shops and they didn't seem to have one so I blew right past it.

There is a slim chance I might make a trip late August... if so, I'll be sure to stop.

flyingsaucermom - do stop in Wallace, ID, if you can. You can drive downtown and you'll see some lounges/restaurants that are old and charming. I love it downtown in Wallace. I like ta just park the car, get out and walk. Historically, it's hard ta beat what Wallace has going on. From the great fire of 1910 to the "only stoplight in the country on I-90", Google both of these if you ever have the time - it's a fantastic place for history. Idaho is one beautiful state, and, if I was retired, I'd consider retiring in northern Idaho - either Wallace, Kellogg (really cold towns temperature-wise, though), Coeur d' Alene or Post Falls. Or Rathdrum. Beautiful, mountainous country - the entire state is brimming full of mountains. Cold up north, hot down south. Take care! I enjoyed immensely this history ride!

Last edited by elkotronics; 02-18-2016 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 06:52 PM

21 posts, read 23,484 times
Wow, thank you all for the responses. I am going to leave a little earlier than planned so ensure extra time for weather. My daughter and I are so excited to see that side of the states and actual mountains instead of the little hills in Texas !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area