Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 11:46 PM

415 posts, read 490,346 times

Advertisements

Best City Neighborhood: Beacon Hill, Seattle
The only Pacific Northwest locale to top the list, Beacon Hill lies just south of Seattle along I-5. Largely residential, the neighborhood also boasts several under-the-radar restaurants and up-and-coming joints alike.
Driveby Shooting today at Beacon Hill Library

and less than two blocks away was another driveby shooting

also lots of excitement happening in the local greenbelt aka the Jungle (Nice comments from coverage in the Washington Post - At least Jeff Bezos owns that one too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 AM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
I really wanted to buy on Beacon Hill as I live near there now and hang out up there quite a bit. I just sold my house thinking that i'd be able to get some place there, but that hasn't proven to be.

It's "gentrifying" very fast, whatever that means. Not that long ago it had a bad reputation and people didn't want to live there. It was very Vietnamese. However, I find the place to be quiet yet fun and very close to downtown. Apparently everyone else feels the same way now.

You aren't going to escape crime in any area of Seattle, no matter how nice. Gun violence is more prevalent on the southend, but it still occurs all over the city.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
A co-worker rents a small, older house there, and was burglarized in January. The lease is expiring in April, and he was notified that they are going to sell it. They had an open house Saturday and 2 offers that same day, both over asking at about $400k.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
I really wanted to buy on Beacon Hill as I live near there now and hang out up there quite a bit. I just sold my house thinking that i'd be able to get some place there, but that hasn't proven to be.

It's "gentrifying" very fast, whatever that means. Not that long ago it had a bad reputation and people didn't want to live there. It was very Vietnamese. However, I find the place to be quiet yet fun and very close to downtown. Apparently everyone else feels the same way now.

You aren't going to escape crime in any area of Seattle, no matter how nice. Gun violence is more prevalent on the southend, but it still occurs all over the city.
I remember hearing over 15 years ago that it was getting popular.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:49 PM

8,067 posts, read 8,358,268 times
It has always been close. I lived on North Beacon in the mid-80s, a few blocks north of Beacon Avenue. To save a bit of money, I'd just walk down to where the Ride Free Area started, then the reverse coming home. Other than someone torching a housemate's car, never had any trouble there.

Even though the whole area is being gentrified, that doesn't mean that gangs aren't still trying to hold onto that turf.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:28 AM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymorphist View Post
I don't agree. You can't say gun violence is everywhere in Seattle. There are parts of the north end that are almost downright bucolic. Laurelhurst is placid. I haven't heard of any incidents in Montlake or parts of Magnolia. You're making Seattle sound almost like east Oakland, CA.

Old 02-28-2016, 02:13 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
I live in Beacon Hill, our family has big concerns when we have to leave the house for a few days. We considered getting bars on all the windows. Its a great central location but hardly crime and worry free to us.

Old 02-28-2016, 04:46 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Sunset Magazine is about selling mags; it's not a scientific polling organization or an objective analysis team.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM

72 posts, read 130,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sunset Magazine is about selling mags; it's not a scientific polling organization or an objective analysis team.
....and ultimately the "best place to live" is not a completely objective question to be analyzed scientifically.

For me, for instance, crime is not huge factor when evaluating a neighborhood. I lived in the Alberta/Killingsworth neighborhood in NE Portland during the early stages of gentrification. Our neighbor across the street was a drug dealer and his house got shot up on evening, but he was really friendly and the neighborhood was very vibrant and active. I loved it.

I now live in a low-crime neighborhood in a low crime city and, well, it is what it is...I certainly don't have any love for it.

Old 02-29-2016, 04:50 PM

337 posts, read 494,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHi View Post
I don't agree. You can't say gun violence is everywhere in Seattle. There are parts of the north end that are almost downright bucolic. Laurelhurst is placid. I haven't heard of any incidents in Montlake or parts of Magnolia. You're making Seattle sound almost like east Oakland, CA.
So then you don't agree. But let's be clear - I'm not making Seattle sound like anything. The fact of the matter is that Seattle is a major city and there is crime in all parts of it, including gun crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area