Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 01:15 AM

415 posts, read 490,346 times

Advertisements

Seattle is pretty infamous for being rainy.

Just recently read that we survived the wettest rainy season in recorded history.

I'm tempted to ask, "Dear Gods of Rain, Is that all you got?"
Now to be sure I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the frequent rain, but it wasn't terrible either.

And this counts only November through February. Last October was also the third rainiest October on record. If you add that to the calculation, it was a truly historic season. To me this the early start of the relentless rainy season was bitterer than its relentlessness from November through February.

But whatever. I complain plenty about things here that don't suit my personality or values. The climate however is just fine by me. In fact I'd take twice the rain for half the traffic. I just haven't found anybody who's able to deliver on that deal. Instead we can look forward to welcoming Oakland, California's previous lovely climate and glorious golden summers. Unfortunately we'll probably be getting the Bay Area's traffic as part of the bargain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 07:03 AM

8,169 posts, read 8,289,381 times
Last summer had to be one of the sunniest. I craved the rain for our plants, trees and water supply. I'm glad it came and I really don't think it has been that bad. Almost no snow in Seattle, temps quite mild.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Despite the record rain, I don't remember a winter when we saw more sun. I'll take that trade-off anytime, sun and cool, more rain over a shorter period of time is a lot better than the usual constant light drizzle. We are at 600' elevation and did see snow fall 3-4 times, but it never stuck, and that also helped make it a great winter.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:48 AM

353 posts, read 934,234 times
It seems to me that the rain has been "harder" this winter - (less drizzle, and more rain)? Is it just me?

Old 02-23-2016, 11:01 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
It was the wettest because we had heavy rain many times. Therefore it rained for fewer total hours and we got more sun than a regular winter.

Last edited by Botev1912; 02-23-2016 at 11:18 AM..

Old 02-23-2016, 01:34 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
The NW is getting the El Nino downpours that California expected, but didn't get. There's been a bit of rain in CA, thank heaven for that, but it's been lighter than expected, and less frequent. You guys seem to have stolen most of it.

Climate change predictions for Western Washington are that there will be drier summers, but wetter winters, as the oceans warm and more water evaporates into the atmosphere, to come down as torrential rain. What you saw this year is the early part of that process.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:36 PM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
^^^^^^ if that is the case Arizona winter homes will be on everyone's wish list.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:04 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,663,647 times
This threw a bit of a wrench of my belief in climate change (but like a very, very small one). Scientist kinda only half got it right for this winter's prediction... what if the same goes for climate change in general? What if it's not so terrible in the end (especially for us)? Maybe I'm just looking for hope.. and justification for my very stoic lifestyle...

But still seems like Seattle would be a pretty good place to move to if the predictions come true... but my fear is we'd not only attract the usual "economic refugee" as one poster here refers to himself, but also a lot moving in because their region is no longer hospitable/habitable.

Like these Floridians: [url=http://prospect.org/article/sinking-feeling-politics-sea-level-rise-and-miamis-building-boom]That Sinking Feeling: The Politics of Sea Level Rise and Miami's Building Boom[/url]

Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
^^^^^^ if that is the case Arizona winter homes will be on everyone's wish list.

Go ta the Midwest or the southern U.S. states, you who want more value, better weather and less muss. Period. Having said that, I hope Chris Hansen can talk to smarter people in the NBA front office, who see that Seattle should have a NBA team once again. That whole Clay Blockhead fiasco was for the birds, sports dudes.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,045,027 times
This is my firs winter back in the PNW and I thought it was pretty mild with a lot of nice days. THis makes a lot of sense, otherwise my experience doesn't fit with it rained so much etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
It was the wettest because we had heavy rain many times. Therefore it rained for fewer total hours and we got more sun than a regular winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: