Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 10:01 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsha4 View Post
Hey, as they say, different strokes for different folks. Your famine is my feast. Everyone has to be somewhere. It's always nicer when it's someplace you like. If you don't like it here, I imagine you should live somewhere that's your cuppa. Hey, no hard feelings.

The truth never hurts my friend, it's just that for me and for many others, the truth is that Seattle is a great town. Don't slap me down for that.
The please prove your point, what makes it a great town?

Old 02-11-2008, 10:22 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
The please prove your point, what makes it a great town?
The people, the neighborhoods, the natural beauty, the nightlife, the daylife, the weather, great seafood, fantastic downtown, Pike Place Market, the short getaways, the economy, the air, great music scene, the water, the mountains, great skiing close by, great universities, whale watching, ferry riding, The Bite of Seattle, Seafair, the Christmas Ships, Torchlight Parade, Festival Sundiata, Olympic Sculpture Park, Kerry Park, Christmas Parade, NW Flower and Garden Show, spring, summer, fall and winter, hydroplane races, many great friends............

Old 02-12-2008, 10:00 AM

1,989 posts, read 6,595,919 times
The rhetoric and hyperbole in these types of post tends to get out of hand....Typically the people with the bad experiences have the loudest voices.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:14 AM

209 posts, read 820,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The rhetoric and hyperbole in these types of post tends to get out of hand....Typically the people with the bad experiences have the loudest voices.
People with bad experiences should also look within themselves, as they may have difficulty getting along with people anywhere. Seattle has a wonderful, kind, non-aggressive, educated population.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM

534 posts, read 1,169,946 times
Quote:
Pretty much anything goes, except as you noted, the dreaded conservatives. Everyone here will take it for granted you are a registered Democrat and start fomenting hate about how they have never met one, but are very scared of these conservatives they hear are living in other parts of the country. If you aren't a native and therefore have a 50/50 chance of actually being conservative, just nod your head and say nothing. Otherwise you may seriously risk getting assaulted, verbally abused, or have hot coffee thrown in your lap.
Very true. I'm neither a conservative nor a liberal, but maybe a mixture of both: I haven't figured everything out yet (despite the fact that everyone around seems to smugly assume that THEY have...). Probably leaning more to the liberal side these days, though.

Yet I find it ironic that every self-proclaimed "liberal" thinker here in the PNW is so quick to judge everyone else, especially the aforementioned "dreaded conservative." No matter where you go, there's ignorance - in some places it just happens to be better at camouflaging itself.

That said - and back on topic - it's still a nice place to live and, like every other place, is what you make of it. BTW, I think Seattle is MUCH nicer than Vancouver, which seems kind of sterile and 'dead' to me, but to each his own.

Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM

30 posts, read 55,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
I agree 100%. Sorry for you sensitive people out there but the truth hurts, everything that is being said here I back up with my experience too.

To the mods: we live in America, we should not be censored for telling the truth. The truth as we tell it on this forum is the truth and we should not be labeled as being a Seattle "hater".

I'm not trying to be rude or start drama, but when did "truth" and "opinion" become synonyms?? The OP stated that it was his/her opinion, therefore people who disagree have the right to. It does not classify a person as overly sensitive if they happen to have a conflicting opinion. These topics are always hilarious to read. Tip to posters: if you don't want people disagreeing with your statements and opinions, then don't post them. Problem solved.

Old 08-14-2011, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 26,272 times
I grew up in Seattle, and some of this made me lmao:

1. Weather: Its moist, overcast and dreary basically the entire year. About 8 weeks of the summer is gorgeous but the rest of the year is like living in Tupperware.

hahahaha - This may be true, I am used to it I guess. Just wanted to say that made me laugh.

2. Infrastructre: Roads are decaying, buildings decaying, public transportation is horrible.

I disagree with this. I grew up taking the bus everywhere, and have always heard people who don't use it complain about it. Not sure why ...

3. Cost of living: Through the roof. Seattle is about 25-30% above the national average. Maybe cheaper than Boston and San Francisco but more expensive than most places. A decent house in King County will cost 500K minimum, and a decent 1 bedroom apt rent is at least $1000.

It is expensive.

6. Amazingly, as well, people have no idea how to drive in the rain.

This is true. I think it's (maybe) the fact that there are so many transplants here? (Don't want to blame anyone, but that is my guess ...).

8. Style and fashion: People dress like slobs here. On capitol hill, sometimes its hard to distinguish between the homeless and non-homeless.

Again, LMAO!!

I love Seattle, but Seattle is my home. I don't mind the rain, but the eternal dampness can get a little annoying. It might be expensive, but there are deals outside of Seattle where public transit can easily take you into the city.

The rest, nightlight etc - I second the Linda's comment! Way better than a giant dance club lol -

Old 08-14-2011, 05:37 PM

710 posts, read 1,397,200 times
Well, it's just that - an opinion. *shrug*

moderator cut: since this thread is over three years old, we're going to close it temporarily until we can restructure it because of the new dedicated threads. beastboy838, I'm going to create a separate thread for you inquiry.

Last edited by scirocco22; 08-14-2011 at 06:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area