Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 08:27 PM

12 posts, read 16,533 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I've read many threads from others who are relocating or possibly moving to Seattle. I have a list of neighborhoods/suburbs started, but I'm wondering if anyone else has other suggestions for our family.

--Husband working at Seattle Childrens Hospital (need to live w/in 30 minutes for "on call" duty-- but this is usually during non-rush hour, so say 40-45 minutes tops)
--4 kids, but we homeschool, so the school district is not important
--We don't mind living IN the city, but I honestly don't know much about Seattle and don't know if that's a real option for us. Family friendly neighborhoods? Safe? We are fine w/ suburbs too. I don't love cookie-cutter subdivisions, but if that's what is available... So, if there are places that have a bit more character, I'd love to hear those first.
--Ideal home would be 4-5 bedrooms on an acre or more of land (I know this is not happening in the city) less than $475K. Does that exist in a 30 minute commute of Seattle?

We love hiking and outdoorsy things. I would also like easy access to shopping, a library, and parks/playgrounds (w/in a short drive I mean).

So, please give me some towns, neighborhoods, or areas where I should search. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 10:32 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,630,023 times
For the acre, I would suggest Preston/Fall City/Carnation which has access to Issaquah resources such as library, schools and shopping. The 40-45 minute commute would depend on the time of day as you would take 90 into Seattle. For an idea of the area, Remlinger Farms
http://www.remlingerfarms.com/index.htm is in Carnation.

Last edited by Seacove; 08-12-2011 at 10:43 PM..

Old 08-13-2011, 12:03 AM

1,980 posts, read 3,757,481 times
Not sure if it fits your price range, but to find that large of land that close to Children's Hospital, you are going to have to look towards the NE, like Maltby or Woodinville. You can get to Children's Hospital via SR-522 (Bothell/Lake City Way) & Sand Point Way.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM

9,618 posts, read 27,256,097 times
Does a 4-5 bedroom home exist within 30 minutes of Children's Hospital, on an acre of land or more, for 475k or less?
Maybe not, but close. Woodinville is a good bet. You can find 4-5 bedroom homes there on more than an acre for less than 475, and you might get there in half an hour, but not at rush hour.
The town of Snohomish is another good bet, a town with history and houses with character. It would take just a little longer to get there than to get to Woodinville, but you get more house for your money there, and it's just a funky(in a good way) old town.
Every once in a while you'll see something on the outskirts of Kirkland, or Redmond, or Bothell. But Woodinville and Snohomish will give you the most chooices.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 16,533 times
Thanks for the ideas! The acreage/larger lot is negotiable. We go back and forth between "lots of land" and "close to work" so I'm not sure where we'll land when it comes to actually move. I searched in some places I've seen recommended in other threads last night. I think we can definitely find something to meet our needs. Woodinville gave us the most interesting options in my search.

The move is really just hypothetical at this point. My husband is applying for at fellowship at many different hospitals across the country. For fun, I did a few different quizzes online (Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed - for one) and they all say Seattle is our "ideal" place. I hadn't considered it before, but honestly, I'm feeling quite smitten with it right now so I gave hubby the green light to go ahead and apply there.

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2012 at 06:36 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area