Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:11 PM

2,148 posts, read 2,923,742 times

Advertisements

Everytime I visit family and friends in LA,CA area I fly on Southwest Airlines from Sea Tac to Burbank,CA. Southwest is very cheap and I often pay $75 each way for a total of $150 roundtrip with advanced purchase. I never see fares this cheap on Alaska Airlines. Even though it doesn't bother me Southwest between Seattle and Burbank isn't non stop. From Seattle to Burbank Southwest requires a plane change in either Oakland,Sacramento or San Jose. Alaska flies non stop between Seattle and Burbank,California.

Southwest also allows you to check 2 pieces of luggage for free while Alaska charges $25 per checked bag.

People in Seattle wonder why I don't fly Alaska airlines and look down at me when I tell them I fly Southwest Airlines to Southern California. People at my Jewish group who are from Southern California only fly Alaska Airlines and talk to me like I'm from another planet when I tell them I fly southwest.

Why are Seattlelites so snobby and against Southwest Airlines?

Burbank Airport is a regional airport in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 08:23 PM

1,651 posts, read 2,781,706 times
Why do you wonder why they wonder? You're obviously getting a great deal, and happy with it, so enjoy! Laughing all the way to the bank feels great doesn't it?

(although truly - I've yet to meet anyone who cares what airline I flew on, let alone looked down their nose at one or the other, and I do fly a good bit. Perhaps I don't hang with the right snobs.)

Old 02-29-2016, 08:29 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,921,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
Everytime I visit family and friends in LA,CA area I fly on Southwest Airlines from Sea Tac to Burbank,CA. Southwest is very cheap and I often pay $75 each way for a total of $150 roundtrip with advanced purchase. I never see fares this cheap on Alaska Airlines. Even though it doesn't bother me Southwest between Seattle and Burbank isn't non stop. From Seattle to Burbank Southwest requires a plane change in either Oakland,Sacramento or San Jose. Alaska flies non stop between Seattle and Burbank,California.
Southwest also allows you to check 2 pieces of luggage for free while Alaska charges $25 per checked bag.
People in Seattle wonder why I don't fly Alaska airlines and look down at me when I tell them I fly Southwest Airlines to Southern California. People at my Jewish group who are from Southern California only fly Alaska Airlines and talk to me like I'm from another planet when I tell them I fly southwest.
Why are Seattlelites so snobby and against Southwest Airlines?

Burbank Airport is a regional airport in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles.
Huh? The only one who should care what airline you fly is YOU, and/or the one paying for your flight.
I've never had anyone criticize/wonder about/ comment on what airline I fly ... weird!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayela View Post
Why do you wonder why they wonder? You're obviously getting a great deal, and happy with it, so enjoy! Laughing all the way to the bank feels great doesn't it?

(although truly - I've yet to meet anyone who cares what airline I flew on, let alone looked down their nose at one or the other, and I do fly a good bit. Perhaps I don't hang with the right snobs.)
Yep that's right I am laughing all the way to the bank when someone has to pay 3 times as much as me to fly alaska air. My friends in the LA area also won't fly southwest airlines if they visit me in Seattle. Oh well let fools get ripped off big time on Alaska air.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:44 PM

964 posts, read 993,891 times
Alaska Air is based in Seattle, so they're the home team. They have good reliable service, and really pull through in a crisis. There was one time back in the 90's when Sea-Tac got shut down, not sure why--maybe fog? Alaska bussed all their passengers to Boeing Field, and flew all their flights out of there. It was the only airline flying. Everyone else got stuck for the night at Sea-Tac.

That dependability of service builds loyalty.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:46 PM

171 posts, read 218,313 times
Is this some sort of shameless marketing attempt?

Old 02-29-2016, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.No View Post
Is this some sort of shameless marketing attempt?
Nope

I just wonder why alaska air is often so expensive compared to southwest.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:04 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,120,375 times
Southwest are a low-cost airline and Alaska are not. Alaska fly to many more destinations out of Seattle. Some people prefer non-stop flights.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:23 PM

1,882 posts, read 2,078,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annonymous0381 View Post
I just wonder why alaska air is often so expensive compared to southwest.
Why is Southwest often more expensive than Delta? Why is QFC often more expensive than Safeway?

Airfares are examples of "dynamic pricing," (now used by hotels, baseball teams, cruise lines, I-405 toll lanes, you name it.) Fares are set on the basis of rigorous algorithms that have everything to do with supply and demand, with the added factor that once the plane door closes, the marginal value of empty seats falls to zero. The airlines, including Southwest, invest millions of dollars in their revenue management systems, protect their YM software like they're the nuclear launch codes, and are constantly tweaking the system to make maximum net revenue out of every seat on every plane on every day.

If you think Southwest is always - or even "often" cheaper than the competition, then Southwest's marketing people have done their jobs. Never mind that researchers from NBC to the Wall Street Journal repeatedly report that they're not; marketing is marketing.

Happy flying.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
Why is Southwest often more expensive than Delta? Why is QFC often more expensive than Safeway?

Airfares are examples of "dynamic pricing," (now used by hotels, baseball teams, cruise lines, I-405 toll lanes, you name it.) Fares are set on the basis of rigorous algorithms that have everything to do with supply and demand, with the added factor that once the plane door closes, the marginal value of empty seats falls to zero. The airlines, including Southwest, invest millions of dollars in their revenue management systems, protect their YM software like they're the nuclear launch codes, and are constantly tweaking the system to make maximum net revenue out of every seat on every plane on every day.

If you think Southwest is always - or even "often" cheaper than the competition, then Southwest's marketing people have done their jobs. Never mind that researchers from NBC to the Wall Street Journal repeatedly report that they're not; marketing is marketing.

Happy flying.
I always shop around airlines before flying. One thing southwest does offer which the other airlines don't is no change fees or rebooking fees if you must cancel your flight last minute.

Safeway is cheaper than qfc because their food quality isn't as good as qfc. Qfc has a terrific service deli,fresh produce,fresh fish and very clean stores. Many safeway stores are dirty and have so so produce and a not so good service deli. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you dont.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area