Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 02:01 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MondoTime View Post
Uh, OK, forgetting about the fact that Kam Chancellor was at fault from start to finish of his poorly-conceived little charade... just how does Seattle factor into any bit of this story?

You're guilty of geographic profiling!

Now crawl back under your desk until society figures out how it wants to penalize you.
I agree. This could have happened in any other major city. In fact, this stuff happens all over the USA. The police have been called on me in the metro Atlanta area because someone was "scared".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Well, English is a European (White) language, so being a stickler for its "proper" pronunciation could hardly be called a universal ideal. AAVE, which most Black Americans speak, is not simply an inferior form of English but a legitimate dialect rooted in our multiethnic heritage.

I don't think it's ignorant to recognize an observation, but it would be rude and inappropriate to say it directly to the person's face.
English is a language from England. Most people in Europe do not speak English as a first language. Blacks in the USA, are by and large, Americans and English is the official language in this country. For that reason, expecting a Black American to speak Standard English is not unreasonable.

Something else. AAVE comes out of Southern English, which is spoken by Whites in the Southern USA. By your own logic, AAVE is "speaking White" as well.

Something to considered. I hardly hear anyone say to an American-born person of European immigrants or Asian immigrants "you speak so well", as if English wasn't their first language. However, I do hear it used towards Blacks. I have heard it used towards immigrants whose first language is not English. However, being born and raised in the USA, the first language of Black Americans is English. Saying "you speak so well" as if Black Americans are somehow foreigners is backhanded and stupid.

Old 03-05-2016, 07:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,041,898 times
The US does not have a national language.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:21 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
Simply put, there was no logical reason as to why those women thought, that these men were out to steal gym equipment at 430ish PM. Even money? I don't think robbers go to gyms to force open the cash register.
Plus, why couldn't they have, with a LOCKED door, just said can I help you or at the very worst, say, I will call the police if you don't leave now. Then Kam and the men could have explained what they were doing.
I have heard though, that white men were with in this group too, is that true?

Old 03-05-2016, 10:35 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,572,548 times
There's no reason to even believe he was a threat unless he was deshoveled, crazy eyed or looking semi homeless with tattered clothes. And we all know Kam fits none of that criteria. Blatant racism. Hard to believe anyone denies it.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:49 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,368 times
Let's assume this was racist it totally wasn't! But assume it was, what's the big deal? People are racist, like no blacks are racist against whites? Like no Asians are racist against blacks? Racism is just life in multiracial society. And it was a police phone call, he wasn't arrested. There really isn't anything for this to be so sensationalized. It was a "racist phone call", really not that big of a deal nothing even happened anyways. I also doubt anyone would be thinking this was racism if the media, and everyone else didn't tell you think that whites are racist monsters.

Old 03-06-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacite View Post
There's no reason to even believe he was a threat unless he was deshoveled, crazy eyed or looking semi homeless with tattered clothes. And we all know Kam fits none of that criteria. Blatant racism. Hard to believe anyone denies it.
True. Now this is the question. Considering racially motivated incidents that take place throughout the nation, why is this thought of as specifically a Seattle problem?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
Let's assume this was racist it totally wasn't! But assume it was, what's the big deal? People are racist, like no blacks are racist against whites? Like no Asians are racist against blacks? Racism is just life in multiracial society. And it was a police phone call, he wasn't arrested. There really isn't anything for this to be so sensationalized. It was a "racist phone call", really not that big of a deal nothing even happened anyways. I also doubt anyone would be thinking this was racism if the media, and everyone else didn't tell you think that whites are racist monsters.
Well, when it happens to you, it's personal. None of that matters. What matters is how much harder it makes your life.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:55 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,788,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
English is a language from England. Most people in Europe do not speak English as a first language. Blacks in the USA, are by and large, Americans and English is the official language in this country. For that reason, expecting a Black American to speak Standard English is not unreasonable.
The US has no official language, so, no, it should not be expected of non-English people to speak "proper English".

Quote:
Something else. AAVE comes out of Southern English, which is spoken by Whites in the Southern USA. By your own logic, AAVE is "speaking White" as well.
AAVE is partly rooted in Southern American English. It is also influenced by creole and African speech.

You are from a city that is known for being overwhelmingly White, so do not see how that might have had an influence on your mannerisms and how you see the world?

Old 03-06-2016, 10:37 AM

143 posts, read 334,293 times
Most of you folks are missing my point as to why I think this is the worst cities for African Americans. It's both social AND economical.

Seattle Times - Blacks Getting Poorer - Seattle times post about how Seattle is a booming economy and black households are not only not participating, but actually getting more poor which I mentioned earlier.

For me personally (doctorate educated) and other folks I know that are doing well, It's not uncommon to be socially outcasted, have a small platform to bring more economical wealth and opportunity, and have smaller networks than their white or asian counter parts.

Bottom line is, why live in a city that has very few people that look like you and the locals don't accept you, the folks that do look like you are doing amongst the worst, and you're almost begging to be accepted and respected by others? Which all cycles back to why I feel Seattle might be the worst city for African Americans and I have provided data to support my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area