Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 11:59 AM

448 posts, read 591,756 times

Advertisements

I see that rental cars are expensive there. I'm interested in going to Seattle for the first time to check out a mariners game and see the scenery. Any recommendations on getting from the airport to safeco field. I plan on staying at a hotel across the street from the ballpark
Also how far is the area from attractions in downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2016, 12:25 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,711 times
Light rail should make things pretty easy for you. I think this might answer all of your questions at once:
Link light rail | Sound Transit

Buses can get you to some neighborhoods/destinations that light rail can't. Light rail stations also connect with the bus lines. On the site above, when you select an individual station, you'll see the bus lines that connect at that location.

For more about the buses and specific lines, stops, schedules, here's this:
Route List by Neighborhood - Schedules & Maps - King County Metro Transit

The schedules for light rail and buses should answer any specific questions about how long it takes to get to specific places. Seattle is not a humongous place, and you can get around to different attractions/neighborhoods fairly easily and quickly.

Hope that helps! Have fun!

Old 03-19-2016, 01:12 PM

102,202 posts, read 107,859,557 times
If you want to do sight-seeing, public transit would be an inefficient way to go about it, and would limit your time, so you'd have to plan strategically, selecting just a few destinations, and working with the bus schedules to achieve what you want. If you're coming on a weekend, Sunday is a bad day to use the transit system, as service is cut way back. Some bus lines only go once/hr., others--once/half-hour.

If you're coming on a weekend, you can rent a car at Enterprise for $30 or so for the whole weekend (they allow you 3 days for their special weekend rate), and they'll drive out to meet you wherever you call them from. I don't know if there's an exclusion for the airport, but you can call them to find out.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:40 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbidy View Post
I see that rental cars are expensive there. I'm interested in going to Seattle for the first time to check out a mariners game and see the scenery. Any recommendations on getting from the airport to safeco field. I plan on staying at a hotel across the street from the ballpark
Also how far is the area from attractions in downtown?
Go for it. Take the train from the airport to International District station. I've done it a few times, just for giggles since I have an ORCA pass that is pretty much all-access to transit and should I ever actually try mass transit from my front door to Seatac Airport, wanted to see how long it would take.

Either walk to downtown from there (Safeco Field), it isn't all that far, or get back on the train and go up to University or Westlake Station(s). Easy-peasy. I'd walk it, just to see the sights, but I do like walking in-general. OneBusAway or similar app will make navigating the bus system easy, if walking becomes tiresome: I've started in Fremont or U-district and hopped all around town on buses, then walked a mile or three to connect various points of interest many, many time.

I really like going to new-to-me cities and not renting cars, to see and smell the streets of our great nation on foot. I've found out a lot more about Lincoln Nebraska, San Diego, and half dozen other places in the past couple years that way. I found Charlotte NC and San Diego especially interesting on foot, though Seattle is not far behind if you stop and really look around.

Bring a raincoat, weather is "partly sunny with good chance of rain" on any given day in the spring.

Old 03-19-2016, 01:48 PM

8,070 posts, read 8,362,552 times
Yeah, take Link light rail from the airport to your hotel (get off at the International District Station, then walk west a couple blocks).

All the hotels near Safeco are in Pioneer Square:

You'll find nearby art galleries, museums, restaurants/cafes, bars/lounges, boutiques/shops, etc.

Within walking distance:

Pioneer Square/Stadiums: Underground Tour, Klondike Gold Rush Museum (free), Seattle Metropolitan Police Museum, Last Resort Fire Department Museum, Coast Guard Museum, Columbia Tower Observation Deck (S. Downtown)

International District/Little Saigon: Wing Luke Museum (International District), Seattle Pinball Museum, Uwajimaya, Asian restaurants (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese)

Waterfront: Ferry Terminal (walk onto the Bainbridge ferry), Ye Olde Curiosity Shop, Argosy Cruises, Great Wheel, Waterfront Park, Seattle Aquarium, Sculpture Park

Downtown: Pike Place Market, Seattle Art Museum, Westlake Center/Nordstrom/Macy's

Via Transit:

Seattle Center: Space Needle, EMP Museum, Chihuly Glass Museum, Pacific Science Center

South Lake Union: MOHAI (Seattle's history museum), Center for Wooden Boats

First Hill/Capitol Hill: Frye Art Museum (free), Seattle Asian Art Museum

Other: Woodland Park Zoo (Fremont/Phinney), Flight Museum (Boeing Field), Burke National History Museum (University District)

Old 03-19-2016, 02:02 PM

371 posts, read 361,867 times
It's very easy to ride light rail from the airport to the ballpark, and onward to downtown. Then you can walk two blocks and ride the monorail, because... monorail! Walk the old World's Fair grounds at Seattle Center, which is worth an hour or a day, depending on your taste for museums and performing arts. Stop at the Pike Place Market for lunch. I did this same trip two weeks ago, when I visited, and it seemed like a great introduction to this great city.

Don't overlook the ferry system. Well, you will overlook it from the Space Needle (don't you dare miss it, of the weather's promising), and that may remind you that you can get a nice maritime experience of a half-hour or more for about the price of lunch. It's not only a car ferry- many pedestrians ride.

What's harder to do is to access the forests and wild beaches that make the PNW so unique. My best suggestion is Discovery Park. It's a former military base on the west side of Capitol Hill, north of downtown. There's probably a bus to there (I took a car). There's a pretty lighthouse on a point of land, with the Sound on three sides. It seems remote, unspoiled, with the city nowhere apparent.

I can't name any old-growth forests close by, as you find in Vancouver, BC and Portland- or Tacoma, even. You'd probably have to rent a car for that. But I'd be as likely to ride a train up to Vancouver and take a stroll in Stanley Park. There's just so many possibilities for scenic touristry up there, you always run out of time before running out of attractions. These transit-accessed ones should keep you busy for an extended weekend, yes?

Old 03-19-2016, 03:17 PM

448 posts, read 591,756 times
Thanks for all the responses. I've never had to use public transportation before. So this is all new to me but I wanna try something different. I wanna see pike place and the needle tower.

I guess I just need to get from the airport to the closest drop off at the ballpark and I'll walk to my hotel. Interested in the Silver Cloud hotel. Then the next day I wanna sight see around downtown. Every year I try a new city but I've always rented a car. Seattle seems dense enough that I can just walk and take Public transportation.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:57 PM

432 posts, read 359,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post
What's harder to do is to access the forests and wild beaches that make the PNW so unique. My best suggestion is Discovery Park. It's a former military base on the west side of Capitol Hill, north of downtown. There's probably a bus to there (I took a car).
Discovery Park is great. West side of Magnolia, though, not Cap Hill. Route 33 runs from downtown to Discovery Park (passing within walking distance of Seattle Center.) Schedule and route map here: Route 33 - King County Metro Transit

I lived in Seattle for many years, got rid of my car as street parking was more hassle than taking the bus. If you rent a car, budget either time (to find spaces) and/or money (for meters and/or garages) to park. If you're staying in town, I wouldn't bother.

Light rail to/from the airport is the way to go. Bus service is more sparse on Sundays but still not bad in the central areas. If you want to get out of town you'll need to rent a car for the day.

Old 03-19-2016, 07:17 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatridger View Post

I can't name any old-growth forests close by, as you find in Vancouver, BC and Portland- or Tacoma, even. You'd probably have to rent a car for that. But I'd be as likely to ride a train up to Vancouver and take a stroll in Stanley Park. There's just so many possibilities for scenic touristry up there, you always run out of time before running out of attractions. These transit-accessed ones should keep you busy for an extended weekend, yes?
Seward Park. Right inside Seattle city limits. Over 100 acres of old growth forest, in fact. I definitely recommend it! Good suggestion, Wheatridger!

OP, there's alway Uber too...

Last edited by IslandCityGirl; 03-19-2016 at 07:28 PM..

Old 03-19-2016, 08:09 PM

9,618 posts, read 27,337,354 times
The Stadium station stop is a little closer to the Silver Cloud and Safeco than International Station, but not by much. It would be a four block walk to the hotel from Stadium Station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area