U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 11:20 AM

18 posts, read 15,388 times

Advertisements

My husband has a job offer with a company in Monroe, Wa. We live in Las Vegas and I grew up in the Southern California high desert. I'd like some feedback from others who have relocated from the desert (or hotter SoCal cities) on the climate in Seattle. Is the sacrifice of sun worth the trade off of green, water and fishing, etc. I'm so sick of brown, hot and being landlocked from beautiful scenery.

My family has almost all relocated to PNW a so I have strong reasons to consider the Seattle area, and a potential job offer is tipping the scales for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:15 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,847 posts, read 44,608,782 times
Our next door neighbors moved here from AZ a few years ago. They are fine with the rain, but were very worried about trees falling in the 1-3 windstorms we get every year, with small branches falling all over the place. In fact, they ended up hiring a tree service to remove several 80' fir trees that they thought might fall on their house. Like you, we were sick of the brown, dry hills and hot weather in CA and love it here. When we go back to visit the sky seems too close, due to the lack of trees. Monroe is one of the more affordable areas to live in the region. My sister lives there, and the main issue is with the river flooding, which can happen 1-2 times a year. It will cut off some people and cause delays with detours for others when that happens, so if you choose to live there, try to be on high ground near a major arterial away from the Snohomish River. She has been stuck at home twice already this winter, but lives about 1,000 feet from the river. I would also consider living in Snohomish, a short commute but similar affordability and closer to I5 for going to Seattle or other larger cities.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:37 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,708,087 times
It's pretty beautiful up here. You can drive just over the mountains (about an hour and a half) if you need a sun dose, quick flights to Hawaii, Cali and Arizona too. We get more sun than you think. Last summer we were begging for rain after not seeing it for nearby 3 months. My father in law lives in Tucson. Although really pretty in the winter, you couldn't pay me enough to live in that microwave oven the rest of the year.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:43 PM

446 posts, read 271,887 times
have you visited Monroe, WA? to me it's like saying you're planning to move to El Monte or Pico Rivera or Azusa as they existed 20+ years ago but describing it as "moving to LA"...yes technically it's in the Los Angeles metro area but...

Old 03-09-2016, 01:26 PM

18 posts, read 15,388 times
Thanks Hemlock & Homesinseattle. The job is in Monroe/Woodinville area -he would be working more out of Monroe but they have a main office in Woodinville. I scouted out some potential companies in my industry (homebuilding), and those seem to be around Kirkland. I like what I see in Woodinville, but it doesn't look at all affordable. We probably wouldn't buy right away, but when we do I really want a larger lot and good schools. My nephew is living and teaching at a private school in Bothell. Are there other quality areas around there I should consider? Our goal is for me to not have to work full time, I am a real estate broker - but I don't know if that's even remotely feasible with the housing costs up there. Lots to consider but the first decision is, how serious are we about the area.

Old 03-09-2016, 01:36 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,708,087 times
You're welcome! The town of Snohomish is really nice. Good schools, quite a few places on acreage close by.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:15 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,335,834 times
I moved from Boulder City to Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.

Coeur d'Alene was way to wet for me and my spouse from the southwest. I also lived in Vancouver, BC for eight months. The longest eight months of my entire life!!

I cannot imagine living in western Washington after being in the southwest. Your mileage may vary, but I don't know many people that enjoy cloudy weather after living in sunshine.

We finally ended up in Wenatchee. It rains more in Tucson than Wenatchee!! But even in Wenatchee, we get out of town from Thanksgiving through the latter part of Feb. The weather during that time is just as awful as in western Washington, but improves rapidly in March.

We now have a lot outside of Tucson with our RV on it for that period of time.

I would be prepared to deal with gray, dark weather. There are things you can do to make it "survivable".

If you can afford it you can buy a second home in eastern Washington. 50% of the homes in Okanogan County and 35% in Chelan County are owned by western Washington residents. But that does not help from Thanksgiving to the first of March.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:47 PM

64,671 posts, read 54,297,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meramos View Post
My husband has a job offer with a company in Monroe, Wa. We live in Las Vegas and I grew up in the Southern California high desert. I'd like some feedback from others who have relocated from the desert (or hotter SoCal cities) on the climate in Seattle. Is the sacrifice of sun worth the trade off of green, water and fishing, etc. I'm so sick of brown, hot and being landlocked from beautiful scenery.

My family has almost all relocated to PNW a so I have strong reasons to consider the Seattle area, and a potential job offer is tipping the scales for us.
Monroe is nice. I did the opposite of you; I moved from Seattle to the desert SW. After visiting the Puget Sound area last fall, and being there for sunny weather as well as the transition to rainy fall weather, I acquired a new appreciation for that grey, misty weather. And even for real rain. If I move back, though, I'd prefer to be in the rain shadow on the Olympic peninsula, so as not to over-do that rain "appreciation". But having a fairly steady water supply is worth the move, IMO. And even Western WA is having dry summers with water rationing, so it's not perfect. But it's a lot better than CA in that regard. Another option for you, for future reference, would be the north Coast of CA, which has weather similar to the NW.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:24 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,847 posts, read 44,608,782 times
If work will be in Woodinville, look at Duvall, for more land and lower prices, and Bothell for lower prices. Woodinville is between the two, with Duvall an easier commute to Monroe.

Old 03-10-2016, 12:56 PM

4,997 posts, read 3,203,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If work will be in Woodinville, look at Duvall, for more land and lower prices, and Bothell for lower prices. Woodinville is between the two, with Duvall an easier commute to Monroe.
Hwy 522 between Monroe and Woodinville/Bothell was expanded, but a large two-lane section remains, causing a big bottleneck during peak traffic periods.

Coalition pushing state lawmakers to improve SR 522
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area