U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM

9,639 posts, read 2,202,470 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Seattle this summer (2.5 days total).

We will be arriving on the Amtrak (King Street Station), and don't plan on renting a car. We will rely on public transportation/uber/walking to get around.

Where should we stay?
What things should we be sure to see?
Where are the great places to eat?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,699,640 times
Don't miss the fantastic Wing Luke Museum (museum of Asian American Seattle experience) in the International District. Great place, walking distance from King St Station. After you are done, just wander around that area, poke around the little alleys, go to Uwajimaya store too. Here is the museum link:

About Us > Wing Luke Museum

Also, the Fremont Troll, one of a kind: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll

One of the only authentic Japanese Gardens in the US is gorgeous: Seattle Parks & Recreation: Japanese Garden

Old 03-14-2016, 03:47 PM

61 posts, read 32,871 times
take a boat cruise
Seattle Sightseeing Tours By Argosy Cruises
I suggest the locks cruise or lake union cruise.
Or the duck boat cruise

Pike Place Market

if its a nice day go up in the space needle

A hotel in downtown location like the Mayflower

You will be fine with public transporation

Old 03-14-2016, 04:02 PM

1,270 posts, read 900,076 times
Seattle: One Day Itinerary Without a Car - TripAdvisor

Old 03-14-2016, 06:43 PM

4,988 posts, read 3,194,754 times
Will you be leaving by Amtrak? You could stay at one of the hotels in Pioneer Square, in Seattle's historical heart, which will put you within easy walking distance of the Amtrak Station (King Street Station):

BEST WESTERN PLUS Pioneer Square Hotel (Seattle, WA) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Silver Cloud Hotel - Seattle Stadium (WA) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

Courtyard Seattle Downtown/Pioneer Square (WA) - Hotel Reviews - TripAdvisor

You'll find nearby art galleries, museums, restaurants/cafes, bars/lounges, boutiques/shops, etc. Next to Pioneer Square: The International District/Little Saigon and the Waterfront. You'll have easy access to light rail and transit for visiting other parts of Seattle (Pike Place Market, the Seattle Center, Capitol Hill, etc.).

Tours and activities: Underground Tour (in Pioneer Square), Harbor Cruise (Waterfront), ferry ride (to Bainbridge Island for lunch/dinner and back), Pike Place Market historical/food/ghost tour. For more:

Tours - Downtown SeattleDowntown Seattle

Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM

241 posts, read 140,595 times
Stay: I'd go with a well-located B&B if you can afford it; make sure it's near a good bus line. Capitol Hill is very central and close to things, easy bus access to get to downtown/University District/Seattle Center. But lots of homeless activity on Broadway in the summer, so maybe go for one a few blocks off the main drags. (My sister stayed in one on 10th Ave E that she liked.)

Bus: Service is good; be aware that some lines may run less often or quit early on a weekend. Here's transit info by neighborhoods, also includes links to maps. Route List by Neighborhood - Schedules & Maps - King County Metro Transit Find a good bus app to download; I don't know which are good in Seattle as I didn't have a smart phone when I lived there.

Take a ferry across Puget Sound and maybe rent bikes to ride around one of the islands. (Obviously verify in advance which island has bikes for rent near the ferry terminal!) Do the Seattle Underground tour in Pioneer Square. See the public art in Fremont, including the Troll. My sister really liked the glass museum in Seattle Center, and the Space Needle gives you a great view of the region if it's clear. (Skip the restaurant, though....) Take a bus out to Alki Beach in West Seattle, and take the water taxi back to downtown. Visit the Aquarium and explore the waterfront downtown. Go to Pike Place Market and scratch the pig's nose, but I recommend a weekday for that if it fits your schedule, or you'll be cheek-by-jowl with all the other tourists. Wander around Discovery Park in Magnolia, and the UW campus in, well, the University District. Watch a sunset from Kerry Park on the south edge of Queen Anne Hill.

A CityPass might be good to buy if you plan to do several of the touristy things; it includes an Argosy cruise of the city, which I never did but which might be fun.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:46 AM

2,462 posts, read 2,174,760 times
Kerry Park (beautiful views of Seattle (and free)- take the 2 or 13 bus from downtown and get off at Highland Drive https://images.trvl-media.com/media/...Park-20803.jpg , Columbia sky view observatory- tallest observation deck on the west coast and less expensive than the Space needle
https://www.groupon.com/deals/sky-view-observatory-1

here is a good online travel guide for seattle

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Seattle

a good place for sushi is japonessa sushi across across from the Seattle Great Wheel.

Last edited by phoenixmike11; 03-18-2016 at 01:30 AM.. Reason: add more information

Old 03-18-2016, 01:47 AM

3,196 posts, read 1,545,642 times
Some of that stuff, like the Duck tours, require you to reserve a space ahead of time. It may not be so busy now but when a friend and I went over in September once, they were filled for the entire week and had no openings.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:53 AM

716 posts, read 403,311 times
You can hit all the tourist hot spots and the bus service is excellent in Seattle. Did anyone mention the zoo or down on the waterfront. There is the Aquarium also which is usually a hit with kids.

Been quite a few years since I have been up to Seattle, I live in Portland but Seattle has so many good things to do that are fun Enjoy it

Old 03-19-2016, 03:18 PM

156 posts, read 93,125 times
After one long visit, I feel almost qualified to say that Seattle is one place where all the most popular, marquee attractions are truly worth it. That includes the Space Needle, which is a great Jet Age artifact in itself. I don't believe that the new, taller observation deck allows you to go outside, which adds to the thrill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area