U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2016, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 608 times

Advertisements

Hey all!,

I'll be moving to Seattle over the summer and I'll be working at some of the hospitals there for the next few years (Harborview, Childrens, VA, UW) and I was hoping some of you could offer some advice on where to live. I'm moving by myself and I hope to find a place that's a little on the quieter side. Budget ranges from 1000 -1500 tops per month (or 2000 to 3000 with a roommate). I was recommended to check out Capitol hill, but I read it's supposed to pretty noisy and has lots of planes flying over (perhaps some of you can confirm/deny this)? What neighborhoods do you all recommend that are safe? Thanks a ton in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 06:01 PM

241 posts, read 140,891 times
I lived on Cap Hill for a decade; planes were not an problem. If you live overlooking one of the main drags (no pun intended) then drunken shrieks at 1 a.m. might be. Find a place a few blocks back from the business/bar strips and noise won't be too much of an issue. Up past 15th or east near Volunteer Park is calmer but still well-located.

Two years ago when I left, $1500 would have been able to get you a decent 1-BR on Cap Hill, nothing fancy but perfectly adequate (by my standards.) $1000 won't do unless you're willing to live in an apodment effeciency (which may still run you $800.) Don't know what the rents are now, check Craig's List or wait for the next post here!

Eastlake is nice, good connections to I-5, to downtown, and to the U district if you get work there. Pretty quiet, a commercial strip with coffee and beer and restaurants and such, not as expensive as most other central locations, and it's great to be able to walk to Lake Union!

As far as safety, Cap Hill and Eastlake are both pretty safe. Seattle has a fair amount of property crime, so both for ease of parking and for your car windows' sake, try to get a place with secured off-street parking.

Keep in mind that traffic in Seattle, especially during commute hours, is miserable, so where you eventually work will have a big impact on the best place for you to live.

Last edited by Pughnose; 03-21-2016 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: added safety info

Old 03-21-2016, 06:51 PM

5,002 posts, read 3,210,890 times
Consider the Northgate area. Lots of apartments within or below your price range. One-seat transit rides to Children's (#75, 26 mins.) and UWMC (#555/6, #242, 25-30 mins.), and two-seat rides to Harborview (#41 to #3/4, 30 mins.) or the VAMC (#303 to #60, 50 mins.).

Last edited by CrazyDonkey; 03-21-2016 at 07:06 PM..

Old 03-22-2016, 09:53 AM

3,907 posts, read 2,715,032 times
The Greenwood area of North Seattle is pretty accessible to most of the places you will need to go and has good transit options. There are pockets that are fairly quiet, the neighborhood has some character and interesting places too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
View detailed profiles of: