Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:11 AM

13,072 posts, read 7,508,849 times

Advertisements

Felt so much bigger. Maybe because of the DT taller buildings and Richmond's apartment/condos, and the Extensive light rail. 50 years ago, the Government building was the Big building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2016, 01:10 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,128,391 times
I agree it looks bigger, but it also looks bigger than most US cities because it has so many tall buildings. US cities except NYC have more houses.

Old 04-03-2016, 01:10 AM

977 posts, read 1,011,517 times
So I just got back from trip to Vancouver! Oh my it is GORGEOUS!!! I love it. I haven't traveled TOO extensively but it is definitely my favorite place! Here are some things I noticed they may not be right since I was there only 2 days but here are my thoughts!

1st thing I noticed the Vancouver area is DENSE! When I was driving in, I come in threw I-5 to 99 in Canada. I saw a city I'm pretty sure it was Burnaby? I thought it was Vancouver for a while. Later I saw how big downtown Vancouver is! It has so many buildings, beautiful buildings I may say. I also saw many dense "small cities" around the area. I dive a drive threw the whole Vancouver metro area.

VERY clean. There wasn't any trash anywhere.

The people there looked SO clean and healthy! The people there also seemed to care much more about their looks than people here in Seattle. I was surprise about how many Asian people there are. I was driving in on 99 and CONSTANTLY I was seeing Porsches, Austin Martins, and about every other nice you could imagine. Most people were Asian driving these cars so how did they get all their money? It somewhat reminded me of Bellevue. In Bellevue there's the rich Asians and they are all together, and the ones in Vancouver were like that too. They had the same style of attire, so I am assuming all the rich Asians in Vancouver were from China? If so/ if not how do they get all their money? Don't say technology or business be specific please. But I notices the Asian immigrants all seemed to be more so on the southern side of town compared to the north.

I also recently visited Portland and I have no idea why people go on and on about diversity. Portland and Vancouver are pretty white and it's great! There's such a diverse amount of white people! Poor, rich, whites with diffrent styles, gothy, preppy etc. whites from Russia, speaking English or French etc. That was truly great! I felt some real diversity in Portland and Vancouver compared to Seattle. In Seattle people are just diffrent races, besides the diffrent races Seattle isn't diverse at all. Portland and Vancouver are not as diverse racially BUT WAY more diverse in every other way possible at least in my option. but I loved the people in Vancouver! All were friendly! I also didn't see any "undesirable people".

I took a "boat ride". It was from Granville island around False creek and it was so beautiful. Everyone should do that! Vancouver is a very beautiful city! I have to admit tho... I wasn't overly impressed with Granville island. I think the market in Seattle is better.

I ended up getting into Vancouver a little after 12. The traffic on 99 getting into Vancouver was HORRENDOUS! It felt like that was the longest part of the drive. Traffic light, after traffic light. That reminds me why do the lights flash green? I have a few theories but I don't think they are right.

Border patrol was "unexpected". I said, "hello" very happily cause I'm getting to go to Canada and hand them my documents. I get a glare and no response back and somewhat rudely asked a bunch of questions. Yeah I know they need to be stern but it was somewhat unexpected how stern they were. Not necessarily a bad thing tho.

To conclude, I LOVE Vancouver! I would love to move there, but I hear it is super expensive. Does anyone know what specifically Vancouvers economy is based off of? I am visiting Victoria soon, I am exited to see more of Canada. The pros by FAR out ways the one con of Vancouver (traffic/no freeway). I encourage everyone to take a visit there! And again thank you guys for your help! It is greatly appreciated!

P.S. This whole response is all GENERAL, I know not all Asians are rich, I know there may somewhere not be some clean parts, but this is a GENERAL observations. Also I'm not in the mood to check for spelling/ punctuation. Hopefully it is not too bad....

Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Glad you loved it, it certainly is a special place. We used to have a second home walking distance to Granville Island, a water taxi on False Creek is wonderful sight. We kept our Nexus Pass (which almost anyone can get who goes to Canada regularly). Yes, traffic does get tough on the last stretch of 99 (Oak St) coming into town. Vancouverites made the calculated decision years ago to keep unsightly freeways away from their core, the city is certainly prettier and more integrated because of that decision.

We still go up to get authentic Sri Lankan food, (the best food in the world in my opinion) not available in Seattle. During the 30 year civil war between the Tamil Tigers and Sinhalese government in Sri Lanka, Canada took quite a few Tamil refugees.

I digress. I'm glad you had an excellent time. Go back up in the summer during music festival time. It is vibrant and a sight to behold.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:45 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,452,265 times
Well done, you covered quite a number of topics.

A few short points. Vancouver is the largest city on the west coast of Canada and it has been a destination city for Canadians for 50 years...........Those who are young and want to establish themselves in a career, head "out west ", from other parts of our country. It is also a regional city in regards to commerce, and the mining and logging industries. Vancouver is also a major centre for TV and motion picture production. Many of the US TV shows that you watch are shot in and around Vancouver. Why? Great crews and technical experts, plus both the Federal and Provincial Governments give tax breaks to foreign productions, provided that they employ a percentage of Canadians, both in front of, and behind the cameras.

When the 99 year lease held by the UK on Hong Kong was going to expire, many wealthy Chinese business owners sought to emigrate to Canada, as Investor class applicants. They brought both money and business ability to Canada, and Vancouver in particular. It was a win win for both sides. Many of them either bought or started a business in Canada. Some of them employ hundreds of people.

Vancouver is a major import and export centre, with hundreds of ships arriving and departing every year. The national railways both have their western terminals there. Vancouver International airport is the Canadian gateway to the orient, and the major arrival point for flights from the west.

Vancouver is also the home to a number of major Universities. UBC, Simon Fraser U, are both top rated in Canada. Most Canadian corporation have either their head office, or their western regional offices there.

The city of Vancouver is surrounded by a number other cities. One of the geographical problems is the harbour, and that can't be changed. The bridges are a bottle neck to be sure, but that is one of those things that residents are used to.

Re the tall buildings. Many of them are condo apartments, as many people WANT to live downtown in Vancouver. You remarked about how clean the city is.......That is because the city government spends quite a bit on street and parks cleaning. Did you notice how many street recycling bins there are ? That makes it easier for people to NOT litter.

Vancouver has a international reputation as a great place to live. It is consistently is ranked in the top three cities in the world to live. Beautiful scenery, a vibrant entertainment and sports location, and a outdoor lifestyle. They also have a attitude of "let people live as they want " without too many restrictions. Where else will you see flower gardens planted on city property, on residential streets, by the home owners ? Yep they that do that all over the place.

Although I now live in Toronto, I have lived in British Columbia in the past.

JiM B.

Old 04-03-2016, 10:32 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Do you enjoy The Tragically Hip as much as I do, canadian citizen?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:41 AM

Yes but my real interests go back to the Canadian bands of the 60s and 70's.

Living in Toronto at that time, we were spoiled with talent, that was available at low or no cover prices.

Because the legal drinking age was 21 at that time. many bars and clubs had Saturday afternoon shows for those under 21, no drinks being served. The Concord Tavern, The Edison Hotel, the Brass Rail, all had them, and they were packed. There were also many suburban clubs, that had Friday, and Saturday night dances with live bands. In the summer, some of the hockey arenas did dance nights, with either local bands of US acts on tour. One night at Scarboro Arena, we saw Jan and Dean, The Beach Boys, and The Four Seasons with Frankie Valee, for five bucks a person, That was in the summer of 1967.

Some of the local Toronto bands that came up through the 60's were The Mandela, The Sparrows, who later became Steppenwolf, John Lee and the Checkmates, Jackie Shane a black man who dressed as a woman, Grant Smith and the Power, and of course the wild man from Arkansas, Ronnie Hawkins and the Hawks, the Hawks went on to become The Band, after backing little Bobby Zimmerman, from Minnesota, better known as Bob Dylan.

Uptown, in the Yorkville Village area, the coffee houses were offering folk and sort of jazz oriented individuals, and small groups. Gordon Lightfoot, Ian and Sylvia, were the best known names .

Later on the scene were the large stage bands, like Light House, who sometimes had as many as 20 players on stage. Rush, Foghat, Rihno, Foot In Cold Water, Crowbar, The Stampeders, The Guess Who, and the Quebec bands who didn't get much air play in the rest of Canada.

One of the things that really helped Canadian music in general, was the introduction of the Canadian content regulations that required that radio stations in Canada MUST play at least 20 minutes of Canadian content, per hour, around the clock. That was the thing that got Canadians interested in our own bands and music. Before that it was just about impossible for a Canadian singer or band to get air play here. The hit charts were dominated by US stars, and record labels. After Can Con was introduced, things changed, for the better.

Jim B.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:54 AM

8,171 posts, read 8,301,458 times
Blue Rodeo, one of the best bands ever. Saw them 5 times live, never understood how they never got that big outside of Canada.

Old 04-04-2016, 01:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,497,233 times
Yes but my real interests go back to the Canadian bands of the 60s and 70's.

Si! My 2nd favorite band of all time (No.1 is Foghat) is none other than Canada's The Guess Who. Burton's voice is beyond choice, dudes. Incredible voice and boogie-piano and Randy Bachman, Kurt Winter and Burton Cummings could flat out write some great rockin' blues songs. Love Rush, too. 2112 was so very creative, eh?

Old 04-04-2016, 04:09 PM

elkotronics.

Burton was just admitted to the Canadian Music Hall Of Fame, at the JUNO awards last night in Calgary. You should be able to find it on the CBC video feed. Still the clearest voice in rock, and still playing the piano like a magician.

Randy has a Saturday night CBC radio show, playing and doing interviews with people in the business that he knows. Did you know he has the world's largest collection of Gretsch guitars ? Over 900 the last time I saw a news article on him. He still tours a bit.

Jim B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area