U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 04:34 PM

4 posts, read 2,269 times

Advertisements

We plan to move to Seattle sometime in April or early May and are considering Lynnwood, Redmond or Kirkland. We currently live in Kula, Maui and are lifelong Hawaii residents. We're a family of 4, both of us are self employed and work out of the home. Both kids have special needs (boy, age 10 and girl, age 8) but are homeschooled. We don't need to consider traffic/commutes or school districts, although a good special ed dept would be a consideration for the future. We'd like to be in a safe, quiet, family/kid friendly area where we can easily access groceries and household shopping, such as Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. We also need a fast, stable internet connection for business.

Our budget for a 4 bedroom/2+ bath rental is $2500-$3000. We're also open to other areas, but want to be close enough to Seattle to take the kids to activities without a drive of an hour or more.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2016, 05:30 PM

3,898 posts, read 2,705,259 times
There is a fairly sizable Hawaiian population that lives in the Lynnwood area, even an authentic restaurant if you need a taste of home: http://www.bobbyshawaiianstylerestaurant.com

Old 03-27-2016, 05:31 PM

241 posts, read 140,695 times
While you're waiting for a more substantive reply, you might plug "moving" into the advanced search feature for the Seattle forum. Lots of threads from incoming people looking for moving advice, might not apply entirely to your exact criteria but still much good info there about the area.

Disregard this if you've already done that; I see this is your first post, so thought you might not know your way around the site yet.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:13 PM

446 posts, read 271,633 times
Granted it's not fancy more like fast food in terms of ambiance but like L&L's Hawaiian and there is one in Lynnwood
Washington |

Old 03-27-2016, 10:31 PM

Thank you all for the replies so far. I'm glad to hear of the Hawaiian population in Lynnwood and the Hawaiian restaurants .

Pughnose, you are correct, I am new to this forum and not familiar with the advanced searches, although I have been looking around and reading a bit. Thank you.

If anyone has any suggestions of alternate locations that fit our criteria, or recommendations of areas to avoid within Kirkland and Redmond, it would be much appreciated. I saw that there has already been a post on good and bad parts of Lynnwood...

Mahalo!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:20 AM

102 posts, read 66,532 times
Is there a reason you are wanting to rent versus buy? $2.5k-3k would put you in the range of buying a 4 bed 2 bath house in Lynwood for sure, Kirkland may be a bit pricier, as is Redmond (unless you go farther out in Redmond). Kirkland and Redmond would have better school districts than Lynwood, going downtown from there is very fast if you're willing to pay toll to cross the 520, otherwise Lynwood to downtown may be the better free option.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:33 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,209,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
Is there a reason you are wanting to rent versus buy? $2.5k-3k would put you in the range of buying a 4 bed 2 bath house in Lynwood for sure, Kirkland may be a bit pricier, as is Redmond (unless you go farther out in Redmond). Kirkland and Redmond would have better school districts than Lynwood, going downtown from there is very fast if you're willing to pay toll to cross the 520, otherwise Lynwood to downtown may be the better free option.
Indeed, agreed with that.

As a Kirkland resident, fortunately can't think of anywhere to "avoid" though it could be argued Evergreen is not as nice as other parts of town. Up near the hospital, east of I-405. East of I-405 doesn't have the same convenience as the west side, arguably, thought like the rest of town it's all rapidly gentrifying as people look for the last bastions of affordable inventory in the area. Good luck with that, it's all still appreciating rapidly.

I was, and remain, fond of Rose Hill neighborhood(s) as almost the last "affordable" yet charming housing in the area. Median home price these days, per one site, is about $575K with median rental about $2100. Don't quote me on the previous, that's one quick Google query.

Couple square miles: east of I-405, north and south of 85th. Map it out. Past few years as I've walked it, seems to be many rather sleepy streets with homes that look modest and pleasant. Where there is land, they're building it up fast too. Again, not super-near the "business" area of Kirkland (if one considers downtown to the be center), but close enough and Bridle Trails center is to the south. Bridle Trails junction/center contains my favorite ACE Hardware and a few other conveniences. Traffic on 85th, to the north, can be a drag, though there are shortcuts too if you're clever.

West of I-405, Everest-NorKirk-Moss Bay and a couple more, homes and rentals are pricier to "much" pricier. That dirt is gold, leading me to...

My realtor, a sharp young Kirkland guy, puts out a newsletter periodically. I don't think he'd mind me quoting his latest, from about a week ago, specific to Kirkland but with broader trends, too:

"The beginning of 2016 has been quite the ride so far in our local real estate market. It has been the most extreme seller's market we've ever seen. At the end of February, both King and Snohomish Counties ended the month with only one month of inventory based on pending sales. Pending numbers, the amount of homes going under contract, were up 35% in King County from the previous month and up 24% in Snohomish over the previous month. Demand is strong! How we manage that demand is critical. Every type of market calls upon different skills to achieve the best outcome for our clients. In this extreme seller's market the strategy one creates for their sellers to gain the best possible outcome is a fine-tuned, high-effort approach."

Yeaaah: not the best time to be a buyer in the area, unless you're walking in with extreme determination, sounds strategy, and plenty of ca$h, seems to me.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:11 PM

1,857 posts, read 2,290,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaMom2016 View Post
We plan to move to Seattle sometime in April or early May and are considering Lynnwood, Redmond or Kirkland. We currently live in Kula, Maui and are lifelong Hawaii residents. We're a family of 4, both of us are self employed and work out of the home. Both kids have special needs (boy, age 10 and girl, age 8) but are homeschooled. We don't need to consider traffic/commutes or school districts, although a good special ed dept would be a consideration for the future. We'd like to be in a safe, quiet, family/kid friendly area where we can easily access groceries and household shopping, such as Costco, Target, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, etc. We also need a fast, stable internet connection for business.

Our budget for a 4 bedroom/2+ bath rental is $2500-$3000. We're also open to other areas, but want to be close enough to Seattle to take the kids to activities without a drive of an hour or more.

Thanks in advance for any advice or recommendations!
Look at Federal Way. Very large Asian population with a good sized Islander population as well. 30 minutes south of Seattle. Actually a few Hawaiian restaurants and lots of asian food include a few filipino joints!

Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM

446 posts, read 271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Indeed, agreed with that.

As a Kirkland resident, fortunately can't think of anywhere to "avoid" though it could be argued Evergreen is not as nice as other parts of town.
agree with that and the same could be said of Redmond as well. Both are quite safe.

In fact this morning I came across a Redfin listing of a little rambler in North Rose Hill neighborhood and what's unique about the photos of this particular house is how many are showing the actual neighborhood complete with aerial views:

https://www.redfin.com/WA/Kirkland/1...33/home/513325

How do they got those photos I've wondered...drones?

Old 03-29-2016, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robrath View Post
Between the crazy real estate market there and our unfamiliarity with the area(s), we decided to rent for a year first. We looked at a few homes online and they were pending sales before we even had a chance to book a flight to Seattle to look at them. So now we're just trying to find a nice area for a year and plan to buy within that time.

Thank you for the info; it'll be quite a change for us in many ways!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area